General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Not discrediting her, but there's a good amount of fluff in this writing, I have to say... The former secretary was not "forced out," and as far as we are aware, there was nothing going wrong or sour with Fiandaca's leadership (with Tibbits-Nutt as their deputy, I should note...) and a lot of things under Tibbits-Nutt's "watch" the past two months couldn't really have been impacted by any changes she made recently - really just keeping the wheels moving was all that was needed.

She has a great resume/background, and she's a good choice, just strange to see accolades falling on someone so soon.

Agreed. There is no indication the prior Secretary was "forced out". It is true, however, that Tibbits-Nutt's accolades have to do both with her performance as Undersecretary and with her service on the FMCB and Board of Directors under the last administration. She's not in any sense new to the agency.

The former secretary was not "forced out," and as far as we are aware, there was nothing going wrong or sour with Fiandaca's leadership
That's fair to say we don't know that she was "forced out." But she did suddenly quit after less than eight months on the job. I think she was the shortest serving Transportation Secretary ever. There was absolutely zero explanation at the time and no one has said anything since, as far as I know. She left in basically the most suspicious way possible. An article like should should be more careful, but it does seem like maybe she was forced out.

South Coast Rail's completion deadlines keep slipping with wide uncertainty as to whether it'll actually launch in Summer 2024, so it's not reliable at all to plan anything around on other modes. The latest rumor on RR.net is that the Franklin Line Double Tracking project is being paused until further notice so its track gangs can be reassigned to SCR to staunch the bleeding there on construction delays. It's incredibly unlikely that any Red Line work schedules are being drawn up with dependencies on SCR. It's simply too iffy at this stage.

Plus it's not going to increase service any on the mainline. There'll be a light redistribution of slots, but it's functionally useless for providing more backstop service inside 128.
I wish i could remember which board meeting it was part of to verify and cite but in one of them Eng stated that the vast majority of all track construction is complete and as stated already in here the remaining works are signals and punch list items. The goal is for everything related to line functionality to be completed by the end of this year. Then for the first 3 months of 2024 there is required testing of the line at service speeds followed by an additional required 3 months of crew qualifications and mock service running to dial-in schedule timings for the Summer ‘24 CR schedule.
It’d make sense that Franklin Line personnel are being pulled to ensure all necessary items are wrapped up for the end of this year to not delay those fixed 6 months needed.

Service was suspended on the Ashmont Branch of the Red Line from 5:30 pm through the end of service yesterday.

The MBTA cited “fire department activity near Ashmont,” later explaining “Power Department is inspecting the affected track area from Fire Department activity near Ashmont,” then “Power Department are making repairs at the affected track area near Ashmont,” and eventually “Power has been restored to the incident track area near Ashmont,” and “Power has been restored to the incident track area as Emergency Crews work to complete repairs.”

I hope this was an isolated issue.

Coverage on the upcoming fiscal cliff facing the MBTA next June/July 2024 (7 months):

Quote from article (see below): "There are no easy answers to the T's "fiscal cliff," Tibbits-Nutt said Wednesday"..."Tibbits-Nutt said that "we want to bring in additional sources of revenue,""

I think this is the first hint someone in this administration is hinting at changes in revenue sourcing... Positive direction, but 7 months isn't enough time to get things in place..

Updated Arborway design:
1700086155467.png

Overall looks better. They split up the single building into a storage building and repair/operations building, and from what I can imagine, they reduced some square footage in doing so, but aren't noting any difference.

Timeline:
  • Concept design completion by December 2023
  • Rest of design January 2024 - December 2025 (continued community engagement)
  • Construction 2025/2026-2029

I think this is the first hint someone in this administration is hinting at changes in revenue sourcing... Positive direction, but 7 months isn't enough time to get things in place..
I think the strategy is likely an earmark for FY25, which is pretty quick and easy for the General Court, then a more deliberative process to develop a more sustainably predictable revenue stream.

Updated Arborway design:
View attachment 44566

Overall looks better. They split up the single building into a storage building and repair/operations building, and from what I can imagine, they reduced some square footage in doing so, but aren't noting any difference.

Timeline:
  • Concept design completion by December 2023
  • Rest of design January 2024 - December 2025 (continued community engagement)
  • Construction 2025/2026-2029
I like the overall concept, but I'm bothered by the failure to include the north of Arborway OL headhouse. I realize it's just a massing study, very preliminary, etc., but how do they miss a piece of basic infrastructure that belongs to the same organization that is putting these parcels out for development?

Would still be a very serious issue since the MBTA is trying to get like 350+ bus operators and retain them past December 2024/January 2025 (The T is also trying to start BNRD even after the current operator shortage.).

And the T also needs to somehow fix all the slowzones by January 1st, 2025?

A faulty propulsion system causes smoke on a Red Line train at Harvard Station. Passengers had to get off & wait for the next train to come.

Coverage on the upcoming fiscal cliff facing the MBTA next June/July 2024 (7 months):

Quote from article (see below): "There are no easy answers to the T's "fiscal cliff," Tibbits-Nutt said Wednesday"..."Tibbits-Nutt said that "we want to bring in additional sources of revenue,""

It seems the MBTA has been on the fiscal cliff since the year 2000. I think the debt is a shell game and hopefully Tibbetts-Nutt has political savvy to wade these waters; otherwise she will be a sacrificial lamb next summer/fall.

For perspective the state budget is only 55 billion. That's fucking insane.

Bye bye T.
There are ~4.4 million people in MA between the age of 18 and 65, that would be $5,605.94 per person statewide. That includes western MA. This figure does not include MassDOT's backlog of state of good repair, and any other suburban wastelands across MA. Sprawl has essentially destroyed Greater Boston and the rest of MA.

A gobsmacking figure indeed. But not surprising.

Paywall bypass:

I'm surprised to see the cost to bring Commuter Rail to State of Good Repair so high, given that CR seems to be running normally. The article did mention that most of the cost will be for stations, but I haven't looked in detail yet. But I suppose it's better to identify and highlight potential problems now than to wait for the next South Attleboro or Lynn to happen.

Paywall bypass:

I'm surprised to see the cost to bring Commuter Rail to State of Good Repair so high, given that CR seems to be running normally. The article did mention that most of the cost will be for stations, but I haven't looked in detail yet. But I suppose it's better to identify and highlight potential problems now than to wait for the next South Attleboro or Lynn to happen.
Basically the T has let everything rot close to the point of no return. My emphasis below:

"The T’s subway track is in the most dire need of repair, the analysis found, with 89 percent not in a state of good repair, followed by the T’s commuter rail signals, 80 percent of which need to be updated, and power systems, 76 percent of which need to be updated."

For perspective the state budget is only 55 billion. That's fucking insane.

Bye bye T.

I friggen HATE going to a link that's posted by them!!! You know why. I'd much rather read it from someone else. :mad:

Back