General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

In the past, they have run the Medford branch isolated. Why the shutdown?

I assume it's due to the North Station crossover being too close to the North Station - Haymarket slow zone, and so they would need access to the North Station crossover in order to access the right of way to the speed restricted track? Main issue is probably cutting power off from the overhead catenary?

That would be my guess for the two week shutdown of the GLX in November 2024.

There is a car on the tracks at Savin Hill somehow.
I mean, I've long thought that the T needs better protections against our monthly car on the tracks incident, but this just proves that they'll invent a better breed of idiot.

(The T has been installing flexposts, reflectors and and paint lines at all of its CR grade crossings, like this. I feel like this is a program that really should be expanded to the GL at crossings like here, where it's not spectacularly clear at night that the median contains track. 6 flex posts, a dozen stick on reflectors and a gallon of paint is low cost enough that it really can't hurt to just do it.)

I mean, I've long thought that the T needs better protections against our monthly car on the tracks incident, but this just proves that they'll invent a better breed of idiot.

(The T has been installing flexposts, reflectors and and paint lines at all of its CR grade crossings, like this. I feel like this is a program that really should be expanded to the GL at crossings like here, where it's not spectacularly clear at night that the median contains track. 6 flex posts, a dozen stick on reflectors and a gallon of paint is low cost enough that it really can't hurt to just do it.)
This is where I would chime in about the need to require comprehensive and thorough driver education in order to get a license, but per the report in UHub, "Transit Police report the driver was arrested on charges of driving without a license and negligent operations - and add the driver was uninjured."

I assume it's due to the North Station crossover being too close to the North Station - Haymarket slow zone, and so they would need access to the North Station crossover in order to access the right of way to the speed restricted track? Main issue is probably cutting power off from the overhead catenary?

That would be my guess for the two week shutdown of the GLX in November 2024.
I think there’s still some work to be done on the Lechmere viaduct (despite the slow zone on the bridge being lifted, maybe 25mph can be raised? Not sure but I think the tie issue on the old bascule span was never fully rectified) and I remember during a prior shutdown they had tried to turn trains at Lechmere from the north and quickly gave up (signaling issue?) that’s my guess for why the whole branch closure

I think there’s still some work to be done on the Lechmere viaduct (despite the slow zone on the bridge being lifted, maybe 25mph can be raised? Not sure but I think the tie issue on the old bascule span was never fully rectified) and I remember during a prior shutdown they had tried to turn trains at Lechmere from the north and quickly gave up (signaling issue?) that’s my guess for why the whole branch closure
At the very least they could turn trains at East Somerville though right? There is a crossover and a pocket track past the station. Then shuttles would just need to run down McGrath.

At the very least they could turn trains at East Somerville though right? There is a crossover and a pocket track past the station. Then shuttles would just need to run down McGrath.
They have turned trains at East Somerville once for an emergency shutdown and it worked just fine.

I’ll ask the pointed questions: what work remains to be done on the Medford branch? Is it punch list work remaining from the opening? Is it SGR issues on a ~2 year old line?

They have turned trains at East Somerville once for an emergency shutdown and it worked just fine.
There was also a scheduled E branch closure north of East Somerville in January 2023 (i.e. trains from downtown Boston to East Somerville, shuttle buses to Medford/Tufts). Not exactly what's being discussed here, but I have to assume that if scheduled short-turns can be used in one direction, they can be used in the other.

Plus, running trains north of East Somerville to Medford/Tufts significantly simplifies shuttle bus operations, beyond just needing fewer buses. You can run a single route from Union Square inbound, with an intermediate stop at East Somerville for E branch riders.

That's why I feel there has to be some work north of East Somerville to be done.

There was also a scheduled E branch closure north of East Somerville in January 2023 (i.e. trains from downtown Boston to East Somerville, shuttle buses to Medford/Tufts). Not exactly what's being discussed here, but I have to assume that if scheduled short-turns can be used in one direction, they can be used in the other.

Plus, running trains north of East Somerville to Medford/Tufts significantly simplifies shuttle bus operations, beyond just needing fewer buses. You can run a single route from Union Square inbound, with an intermediate stop at East Somerville for E branch riders.

That's why I feel there has to be some work north of East Somerville to be done.
IIRC they ended up modifying that diversion so that the entire Medford branch was suspended and all trains went to Union Square.

The topic of discussion revolves around a planned 2 week shutdown of the entire Medford Branch in November 2024. The entire GLX from Medford/Tufts, Union, all the way to Park Street is slated to be shuttered for two entire weeks later in the fall to fix 2 slow zones between North Station and Government Center. It was quietly added to the schedule where the original North Station - Lechmere diversion was extended to cover the entire GLX.

1720024497422.png

The crossovers north/west of Lechmere allow trains from the inbound platform to access either outbound branch, but they don’t allow the inbound trains to access the outbound platform. That restricts Lechmere to a single platform terminal operation, if they can’t reach the North Station yard.

I really hope this isn’t a case of power shutdown for NS-GC work killing the power to the NS yard too.

The crossovers north/west of Lechmere allow trains from the inbound platform to access either outbound branch, but they don’t allow the inbound trains to access the outbound platform. That restricts Lechmere to a single platform terminal operation, if they can’t reach the North Station yard.

I really hope this isn’t a case of power shutdown for NS-GC work killing the power to the NS yard too.
There is also a crossover just south of East Somerville that should not require single tracking if they were to turn at East Somerville.

Unless I'm misreading it or things have changed from the initial technical proposals, the VMF, Lechmere and East Somerville are all fed from the Red Bridge Substation built as part of GLX.
Screenshot_20240703_134355_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

I’m concerned about the North Station substation noted on the diagram above. Depending upon where the isolation breaks (forget the correct term) are from Science Park to GC (including the yard), that makes it hard to use the NS yard to manage turn backs for the GLX when there is work in the core.

A modicum of communication from T management, rather than a silent change to the plans, would make it clear.

IIRC they ended up modifying that diversion so that the entire Medford branch was suspended and all trains went to Union Square.
I am 90% sure that this statement was not true on January 8, 2023. On that day, I was photographing shuttle buses terminating at East Somerville, with signs for "Shuttle to Medford/Tufts"; at Medford/Tufts, there were signs for "Shuttle to East Somerville". I do recall passengers walking to the shuttle from the station, and that no shuttle buses were running in the opposite direction (with no signs of such at East Somerville), but I don't have photographic evidence of them.

I am 90% sure that this statement was not true on January 8, 2023. On that day, I was photographing shuttle buses terminating at East Somerville, with signs for "Shuttle to Medford/Tufts"; at Medford/Tufts, there were signs for "Shuttle to East Somerville". I do recall passengers walking to the shuttle from the station, and that no shuttle buses were running in the opposite direction (with no signs of such at East Somerville), but I don't have photographic evidence of them.
I might have mixed it up with another diversion.

I’m concerned about the North Station substation noted on the diagram above. Depending upon where the isolation breaks (forget the correct term) are from Science Park to GC (including the yard), that makes it hard to use the NS yard to manage turn backs for the GLX when there is work in the core.

A modicum of communication from T management, rather than a silent change to the plans, would make it clear.
That diversion is scheduled for November. We've got 4 months and 7 other diversions before then; the T has been reasonably transparent about what the impacts will be ~a month before each diversion to date, but I personally wouldn't panic until they actually announce the service change.

Back