General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Pathetic.

I blame Massachusetts voters for voting against Ranked-Choice Voting in 2020 and leaving us with a one-party state that has zero accountability.

Having policy differences is one thing. This error was entirely unforced though, and really shows just how incompetent the state legislature is. I deeply hope that every single member of the MA legislature is disappointed in themselves and that every single one of their spouses and children are disappointed in them, too.

@bigeman312, your statement is largely on point, but I personally know a state rep, and he is very earnest, hard working, and dedicated to serving both his constituents and the Commonwealth as a whole. I agree that the process is broken, but the entire caucus is definitely not rotten, just disempowered.

I'm not too familiar with the finer details of the legislative process. Why is everything a last-minute scramble? Couldn't they just sign these into law in a couple of weeks when they begin their next session?

@bigeman312, your statement is largely on point, but I personally know a state rep, and he is very earnest, hard working, and dedicated to serving both his constituents and the Commonwealth as a whole. I agree that the process is broken, but the entire caucus is definitely not rotten, just disempowered.
To be clear, I don’t think every member is a bad person. Just that I hope they are disappointed in themselves. Each and every one of them should be called out for not doing their job. They are elected to get these things done and they failed. Whether the state rep you know is the one who shoulders a large part of the blame or just a small part of the blame, they presumably have the ability to communicate with other legislators and can help get the job done. They failed to do that. Each and every one.

To be clear, I don’t think every member is a bad person. Just that I hope they are disappointed in themselves. Each and every one of them should be called out for not doing their job. They are elected to get these things done and they failed. Whether the state rep you know is the one who shoulders a large part of the blame or just a small part of the blame, they presumably have the ability to communicate with other legislators and can help get the job done. They failed to do that. Each and every one.
Again, it is the system, more so than the constituent parts. The Speaker and Senate President are too powerful, at the expense of the other 198 legislators. To push against that would mean giving up all power and leverage for any individual legislator. I guess it's a question of whether they can try to achieve something more than nothing, compared to giving up on any achievement at all on behalf of finger pointing.

Again, it is the system, more so than the constituent parts. The Speaker and Senate President are too powerful, at the expense of the other 198 legislators. To push against that would mean giving up all power and leverage for any individual legislator. I guess it's a question of whether they can try to achieve something more than nothing, compared to giving up on any achievement at all on behalf of finger pointing.
Can you educate those of us who don’t understand the process that causes this to be the case? Thanks!

Can you educate those of us who don’t understand the process that causes this to be the case? Thanks!
The leadership in each chamber controls committee assignment, votes, etc. The legislative process involves horse trading among legislators and kowtowing to the Speaker or Senate President as the case may be. I mean, it's not something described in the Commonwealth's constitution or anything like that, but the spoils go to districts represented by people who cooperate with the overall mechanism. If you want a bit more on this, check out the Everett soccer stadium thread.

Thanks for the response and maybe I’m being dense (I swear it’s not intentional), but what’s stopping a state legislator from negotiating compromises between the conflicting provisions of the bill. Why can’t they discuss with other members from both chambers to find acceptable middle ground. Are you suggesting that if they did this, the Senate and House Leadership would vindictively prevent them from receiving future committee assignments based on the fact that they are negotiating compromises without their permission? I’m not doubting you, but that’s way more corrupt than I knew.

The leadership in each chamber controls committee assignment, votes, etc. The legislative process involves horse trading among legislators and kowtowing to the Speaker or Senate President as the case may be. I mean, it's not something described in the Commonwealth's constitution or anything like that, but the spoils go to districts represented by people who cooperate with the overall mechanism. If you want a bit more on this, check out the Everett soccer stadium thread.
To me, a decent part of this is that in all legislatures, the speakers and committee chairs control what comes up to the post for voting- ie, they set the calendar. It's possible to kill a bill by just sitting on it in committee, as discharge petitions rarely succeed, or just by never scheduling it, which happened with the bus lane bill in the House. That's always been the power of the speakers in most of the state legislatures, and congress. It can be reasonable - you want to prioritize the important things, like the budget, schedule controversial votes for when you know they can pass, allow time for legislators and your party whips to get people in line with whatever position the leadership is staking out. If there isn't enough time in the session to hear them all, it also allows the speaker to kill bills with relative ease. It's part of why little things often get attached to "must pass" legislation like the budget - in MA its known as outsides, riders that get attached as amendments because you must pass a bill as a unitary item.
Thanks for the response and maybe I’m being dense (I swear it’s not intentional), but what’s stopping a state legislator from negotiating compromises between the conflicting provisions of the bill. Why can’t they discuss with other members from both chambers to find acceptable middle ground. Are you suggesting that if they did this, the Senate and House Leadership would vindictively prevent them from receiving future committee assignments based on the fact that they are negotiating compromises without their permission? I’m not doubting you, but that’s way more corrupt than I knew.
To be fair to the process, that is sort of how legislation finally passes. When the two chambers pass differing versions of a bill, and they almost always will as individual legislators and the committee add amendments and whatnot, they hand both versions over to a "Conference Committee" where a small group of legislators from both chambers sit down and haggle until they come back with one final version that gets passed again by both chambers (usually without debate or incident) before it goes to the Governor for their signature.

For example, this is the conference reports on the insides/outsides for the FY25 budget. You'll see where the Senate version prevailed, vs where the house version did, where they compromised or just killed a provision entirely.

Last edited:
I didn't do the topic nearly enough justice, and I agree with @Stlin that it's not corruption so much as a system designed to deliver certain big results (eg the annual budget) but can get messy on the finer details.

The whole point of the leadership and the committee system is to have the ability to coordinate things so that legislating isn't a constant ad hoc process. There's 40 members of the Senate, 160 in the House, it's not exactly easy to get them to agree on all that much of anything most of the time. That system is how the varying, sometimes diametrically opposed preferences of all the individual members get coalesced into some form that can find a majority vote in the chamber (or, in many instances, not find it, and wither and die in committee).

The problem is that that system inherently gives its leaders power...which they then have an incentive to jealously guard. (This is absolutely not just a Massachusetts thing.) If you're in leadership or the chair of a committee, it directly undermines your authority and therefore your effectiveness as a legislator (remember, that while members can be corrupt, they don't have to be; and people in leadership can have honest and strongly-held legislative preferences that they'd like to implement). And so anyone who challenges the system soon finds themselves on the outside of it...with no power whatsoever.

And that comes into conflict with the fact that while the General Court is overwhelmingly Democratic, it's not quite partisan in the same way as federal politics. (Some of that's a result of Massachusetts being a blue state, and therefore there just being more Democrats, and the rest is down to the fact that in a dominant-party system, being a member of the dominant party's legislative caucus is about the only way to have any meaningful power at all.) Meaning you get people who seek election, oftentimes, to try and get things done for their districts, with less of an emphasis on the kind of performative opposition that you can see in federal politics (and to some degree among minority-party representatives in dominant-party states; think, say, Democrats in Texas, who are pretty much powerless in the state legislature other than to vocally oppose the Republicans).

A little bit paradoxically, that means that a lot of well-intentioned legislators have every incentive to work within the confines of the existing system, rather than embark on a Quixotic campaign for internal reform, because it's so hard to get a critical mass necessary for that reform, because everyone else has legislative priorities they want to get done for their constituents and can't afford to get frozen out of any influence whatsoever by challenging the leadership. And it's often hard to say how much of things not getting done is outright corruption or general incompetence or petty malice, and how much of it is down to the fact that it's really, really hard to get two hundred people to agree on things, and a hell of a lot easier for most if not all involved to kick the can down the road whenever possible. About the only thing that could really change that is if the voters started giving a damn about whether the legislature runs well and gets things done, but seeing as how a.) we elect people so that we don't have to care about those details all the time, and, b.) that it's very easy to cynically believe that all politicians are crooks, or lazy, or bad at their jobs, there's a huge degree of apathy that makes it very unlikely that things will change anytime soon.

Braintree Branch got even more slower even after removal of a few slow zones near Harvard. It's so bad that the Red Line post-July shutdown is SLOWER than it was post-May shutdown. Red Line after the May shutdown was 24 minutes of slowzone, but post-July shutdown is now just over 27 minutes of slowzone, so IT IS WORSE NOW than in May.

Maybe after the August RL shutdown to fix slow zones near Charles-MGH, the Red Line will finally become usable again in about 3 weeks, when scheduled timetables are recalculated in the fall rating to reflect ~27 minutes of slowzone; instead of 38 - 40 minutes of slowzone (summer rating) to improve headways.

1722956788859.png
1722956727703.png

1722956902162.png

The T for some reason waits for several months after fixing slow zones to retimetable subway headways. For some reason, the Blue Line is SLOWER than it was prior to March 2023 despite fixing all the slow zones. HOWWW??? Why is the Blue Line still timetabled for 23 minutes Bowdoin-Wonderland when prior to slow zone addition in March 2023, the same trip was timetabled for 17 minutes and took only 17 minutes??? If the slow zones are fixed, surely the Blue Line should be retimetabled to 17 minutes Bowdoin-Wonderland. Yet the T couldn't even be bothered to do this for the summer 2024 rating. FOR NO REASON. Just running trains slower post-slowzone-fixing, just like the Green Line!!!
1722957194284.png

I was riding in the front of a Green Line train from North Station to Lechmere yesterday afternoon and noticed something odd: Shortly after departing North Station, in the large 4-track cavern before the ramp up to Science Park, the train stopped. I watched the operator get up, go out the door, and push a button on a panel alongside the track. When she pushed this button, a white light lit up on the panel. She then got back on the train and drove us up the ramp into Science Park. Does anyone know what this was about? Surely it cannot be standard operation for operators to have to leave the train to push a button? I would have asked her but did not want to bother her while driving.

On a related noted, I took an onward train from Lechmere to Union Sq (the original was Medford-bound) and noticed that on the ramp down from the flying junction to the Fitchburg ROW, we stopped for a literal stop sign alongside the tracks! This seems bizarre to me. I noticed a similar sign right before entering the platform on Union Sq, which is also somewhat dubious, but a stop sign in the middle of the line? Why would a new rail line be engineered to require stop signs? Will they be eliminated in the ongoing slow zone work?

When she pushed this button, a white light lit up on the panel. She then got back on the train and drove us up the ramp into Science Park. Does anyone know what this was about? Surely it cannot be standard operation for operators to have to leave the train to push a button?
They are manually flipping the signal from red to green (white). I don't know why it's necessary, but I'd say it happens ~25% of the time leaving North Station.

Why would a new rail line be engineered to require stop signs?
There is also one in the North Station Portal when going Science Park > North Station. My best guess is that they are to prevent overspeeding when going downhill. Hopefully that means they could be eliminated with the Green Line Train Protection System, though that project is now on hold.

Tried to get to Newton on Comm Ave & it was all screwed up because of the damn track work on the B Line!! Boy I'm so sick of that!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad::mad::mad:

Back