General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Over the last couple of weeks I’ve taken the Red Line between South Station and North Quincy a few times. This isn’t an area I’ve ridden the T regularly for years, so I was surprised at just how slow the trains crawled heading into/out of N. Quincy and over the Neponset River Bridge. It was worse heading southbound where it felt like we were creeping between 5-10mph for about 1/2 mile before the bridge and maintained that speed all the way into the station.

I don’t know if it’s my just imagination, but the Red Line all of a sudden feels like the worst of the bunch. Yes, the Green is slow, but between the new vehicles, refurbished vehicles, and frequencies in the center of town, it’s not bad for light rail. The Orange is an all brand new fleet at this point and the slow zones are disappearing. Blue’s rolling stock is still fairly fresh and the line seems to be the least delay-prone. The Red feels extremely dated and the slow zones are brutal.

Over the last couple of weeks I’ve taken the Red Line between South Station and North Quincy a few times. This isn’t an area I’ve ridden the T regularly for years, so I was surprised at just how slow the trains crawled heading into/out of N. Quincy and over the Neponset River Bridge. It was worse heading southbound where it felt like we were creeping between 5-10mph for about 1/2 mile before the bridge and maintained that speed all the way into the station.

Yeah, I also had reason to go on the Braintree Branch for the first time in a while and it wasn't great. Ashmont isn't great either.
There is a shutdown of the whole Braintree this weekend, so hopefully they address the issues.

Something is up. Not sure if this is in response to the recently announced suit against the T about the death of the stair user at JFK, but they have randomly started closing off deteriorated, but critical access routes.
This morning at JFK, users found the Columbia Ave main entrance fenced off as well as one of the two staircases from Sydney St. Mitch Fallon on Twitter: "Who at the @MBTA had the brilliant idea to put a gate on the only entrance to JFK/UMass from Columbia Road with no warning? https://t.co/M5cFYC4J6k" / Twitter

Over at Savin Hill, both Savin Hill Ave sidewalks over the tracks (and I-93) are also fenced off with no accessible routing (just signs pointed to an 18" curb).

Something is up. Not sure if this is in response to the recently announced suit against the T about the death of the stair user at JFK, but they have randomly started closing off deteriorated, but critical access routes.
This morning at JFK, users found the Columbia Ave main entrance fenced off as well as one of the two staircases from Sydney St. Mitch Fallon on Twitter: "Who at the @MBTA had the brilliant idea to put a gate on the only entrance to JFK/UMass from Columbia Road with no warning? https://t.co/M5cFYC4J6k" / Twitter

Over at Savin Hill, both Savin Hill Ave sidewalks over the tracks (and I-93) are also fenced off with no accessible routing (just signs pointed to an 18" curb).
Some additional details released about the situations at JFK/UMass and Savin Hill: https://www.dotnews.com/2022/citing-critical-structural-finding-mbta-closes-columbia-rd-entrance

Riffing on a comment I made earlier in the Regional Rail thread, the list of stations that have had to close or have portions close on an immediate/short notice in the last couple of years is striking. Off the top of my head:
  • JFK/UMass
  • Savin Hill
  • Suffolk Downs
  • Lynn
  • Winchester Center
  • South Attleboro
plus however we want to count the closures around Haymarket and Government Center (apparently not the T’s fault, although I do remember some questions raised why T inspections didn’t catch warning signs sooner).

The Milton stairs are another egregious example. A few years ago, but Auburndale was closed for four days in October 2019 while emergency repairs were made to the stairs, and Quincy Center garage was closed in 2012.

Apparently John Dalton, GLX PM, has been given another contract extension. While I don't expect anything to be announced about what comes next for him before GLX opens, generally, what would people say to him as the next GM?

Apparently John Dalton, GLX PM, has been given another contract extension. While I don't expect anything to be announced about what comes next for him before GLX opens, generally, what would people say to him as the next GM?

I think he could do a good job, but his expertise is mostly project delivery (albeit, big, complicated projects) and not necessarily day-to-day operations, the latter the T sorely needs. I think there's been talk of him staying on to work on Red-Blue or Allston I-90, either of which (or both - Blue Line extended to Allston :)) he'd be perfect for right now.

Agreed the T really needs a GM who understands ongoing, timely (preventative please) maintenance and operational performance. And how to scream (politically effectively) bloody murder when resources are stupidly redirected. (Preferable with available blackmail photos of the Speaker and Governor).

Looks like a Type 9 was in a collision with a car on the B branch today…

Some photos, from Reddit
DEAC9E20-20BD-4EA2-BE8E-29CB9A748B8B.jpeg
254382B4-CBAB-4E02-98A6-7F0AAB2EEB3A.jpeg

Last edited:
My bias is that fixing the T requires separating CapEx from the OpEx. He’s better at capital project management, so he should be in charge of the CapEx organization. Someone else, with a very different set of skills, should be in charge of the OpEx side.

Would love to see an immediate shifting of available resources to Blue-to-Charles/MGH to get that across the finish line.

He said that his plans for having a Thanksgiving turkey & all the fixins' will not be stopped. :)

Some photos, from Reddit
View attachment 31033View attachment 31034

What are the specifics here? Was he trying to make a left from BU Bridge to Comm Ave (which I believe is a prohibited movement)?

What are the specifics here? Was he trying to make a left from BU Bridge to Comm Ave (which I believe is a prohibited movement)?

Some photos, from Reddit
View attachment 31033View attachment 31034

Yeah, it WAS a Type 9 trolley. What a shame!!!! A brand new train messed up!!!! :mad:

Back