General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Update on MBTA recovery from COVID-19 pandemic in terms of ridership.

Still hovering at 53%, no major changes. Last winter there was a more sharp drop in January 2022.

No noticable change in Green Line ridership after the GLX.

1677785196224.png

Route 80 saw huge ridership plunges. Route 87 is seeing ridership recovering slightly, a continued trend post-COVID. Route 86 appears lower during the late winter months. Routes 88 and 89, as well as Route 90 to an extent, saw the GLX eat out a chunk of ridership. As such, it is likely that some riders, who would've taken a bus from Winter Hill to Sullivan, say, on the 89 bus, (or 90 buses), are switching to the Green Line instead, as opposed to hopping on the Orange Line at Sullivan from the 89 bus. Slight drop in Roue 94 and 96 ridership.

1677785318448.png
1677785342049.png

1677785755936.png
1677785785473.png
1677785934654.png

1677785441230.png

The next bus schedule change for buses is March 12th, 2023, as such, there may be frequency changes to buses in about a week's time. I may update the MBTA frequency map for the final time, if the MBTA's BNRD bus network redesign will rollout beginning first changes in June 2023. It's not known if it's still the case or if it'll pushback to fall 2023.

Last edited:

I wonder if that's due in part to poor source data (due to GLX stations not having faregates).

In the README for the source code for the TransitMatters covid recovery dashboard, one of their sources for ridership data is this MassDOT data. Within there, looking at the "2023.03.01 MBTA Gated Station Validations by station 2018-22.csv" file, I don't see any entries for GLX stations (with the exception of Lechmere in March 2020 and earlier, back when it still had fare gates).

Therefore, I bet that GLX ridership isn't being accounted for at all in that data, at least for trips that start from a GLX station.

After taking office with the staffing, safety and reliability problems at the MBTA top of mind for riders and voters, Healey on Wednesday proposed steering $186 million in newly available surtax revenue toward the agency.

Those appropriations include $70 million for station improvements, $100 million to repair and rehabilitate MBTA bridges, and $11 million toward the design of the Red Line-Blue Line Connector, which would bring that project closer to reality decades after it was first floated.

The budget also calls for using $12.5 million of surtax money toward the East-West Rail project that would expand passenger train service west of Worcester. That money would fund a project director at MassDOT, track improvements at the Pittsfield station and design of a station in Palmer.

In her annual spending bill, Healey also proposed using $5 million on "one-time expenses for exploring the feasibility of implementing a means-tested fare program" at the T.

I wonder if that's due in part to poor source data (due to GLX stations not having faregates).

In the README for the source code for the TransitMatters covid recovery dashboard, one of their sources for ridership data is this MassDOT data. Within there, looking at the "2023.03.01 MBTA Gated Station Validations by station 2018-22.csv" file, I don't see any entries for GLX stations (with the exception of Lechmere in March 2020 and earlier, back when it still had fare gates).

Therefore, I bet that GLX ridership isn't being accounted for at all in that data, at least for trips that start from a GLX station.

While this is true, the GLX opening should still cause a theoretical increase in Green Line ridership, with the addition of GLX-bound trips.

Holy crap, theres video of a concrete panel falling off the ceiling directly in front of someones face on the red line. Serious big dig flashbacks. This is unacceptable!

Testiment to that person though- seemed completely unfazed by near death and just continues on their way. Just a normal day on the T at this point, I guess.

Update on MBTA recovery from COVID-19 pandemic in terms of ridership.

Still hovering at 53%, no major changes. Last winter there was a more sharp drop in January 2022.

View attachment 34868

Route 80 saw huge ridership plunges. Route 87 is seeing ridership recovering slightly, a continued trend post-COVID. Route 86 appears lower during the late winter months. Routes 88 and 89, as well as Route 90 to an extent, saw the GLX eat out a chunk of ridership. As such, it is likely that some riders, who would've taken a bus from Winter Hill to Sullivan, say, on the 89 bus, (or 90 buses), are switching to the Green Line instead, as opposed to hopping on the Orange Line at Sullivan from the 89 bus. Slight drop in Roue 94 and 96 ridership.

View attachment 34869View attachment 34870
View attachment 34872View attachment 34873 View attachment 34874
View attachment 34871

The next bus schedule change for buses is March 12th, 2023, as such, there may be frequency changes to buses in about a week's time. I may update the MBTA frequency map for the final time, if the MBTA's BNRD bus network redesign will rollout beginning first changes in June 2023. It's not known if it's still the case or if it'll pushback to fall 2023.
What this means is that the system is under capacity and development needs to catch up.

Holy crap, theres video of a concrete panel falling off the ceiling directly in front of someones face on the red line. Serious big dig flashbacks. This is unacceptable!

FWIW, news coverage says it's actually an aluminum panel, but weighed about 25 lbs. with accumulated water in it.

The T’s solution is to simply remove the panels, because they serve no structural purpose. We get poor aesthetics because we can’t be bothered to maintain our stuff.

At this point it's more of a factor of RTO progress than anything else.

Traffic is back - I'd say even worse than before (at least Tuesday -> thursdays, and the weekends at least) which makes me think there are more people RTO/going into Boston but choosing to driver vs. leverage the T.

I think the T considers stations to have a 35 year lifespan for depreciation purposes. It would be nice if they would plan for renewal on a similar schedule. For comparison, the MWRA is working on renewal of Deer Island infrastructure they installed as part of the Boston Harbor Project.

At this point it's more of a factor of RTO progress than anything else.

In US cities such as Boston, with automobile dependent commutes, return to office is much lower than other global cities, about 40-50% in the US compared to 75% in Europe/Asia. It's kind of pretty bad for using transit capacity and restoring transit service levels. Although private motorcar traffic levels seem to bounce back much faster. and worsening still.

The MBTA's woes doesn't help matters at all, but seems to exaberate the problem worse. It might be quite a long time for the MBTA to return to 2019 pre-COVID ridership and service levels.

I still think comparing MBTA's service and ridership levels to pre-COVID rates is still relevant today. How far should we keep the comparisons going?

Maybe in 2025 we'll be looking at the data and stating "5 years since COVID, the MBTA is at 89% service levels, but only 55% of pre-pandemic ridership", and the same words maybe into 2028 "8 years since the pandemic, the T still hasn't recovered past 62% of pre-pandemic ridership, and still struggling to raise enough fare revenues and keep service running, let alone fund a study a Blue-Red".

1678158407849.png

So pages covered this, but it is notable that today the MBTA has started tearing down the Milton Station staircase. Gov Healey apparently had a moment to intervene but she gave the green light.

It seems Milton is very displeased and reading the article sounds like they've been trying to use whatever influence they have - but ultimately the town was unsuccessful.

I know earlier discussion on this thread mention it is related to ADA compliance, but something seems off. Like how are they shrugging off Milton so nonchalantly? That if ADA is the barrier, then shouldn't the conflict be around how to temporarily workaround the compliance or raise noise about funding to meet compliance? Or if it is really about the transformation project, then why aren't there reassurances by an accelerated timeline rather than a stonewall to town officials are literally stating it will be a hole in the ground for up to another decade? Why is the MBTA is the opponent rather than the ally who is getting stonewalled with the rest?

So pages covered this, but it is notable that today the MBTA has started tearing down the Milton Station staircase. Gov Healey apparently had a moment to intervene but she gave the green light.

It seems Milton is very displeased and reading the article sounds like they've been trying to use whatever influence they have - but ultimately the town was unsuccessful.

I know earlier discussion on this thread mention it is related to ADA compliance, but something seems off. Like how are they shrugging off Milton so nonchalantly? That if ADA is the barrier, then shouldn't the conflict be around how to temporarily workaround the compliance or raise noise about funding to meet compliance? Or if it is really about the transformation project, then why aren't there reassurances by an accelerated timeline rather than a stonewall to town officials are literally stating it will be a hole in the ground for up to another decade? Why is the MBTA is the opponent rather than the ally who is getting stonewalled with the rest?

Not just Milton but Lower Mills and it's main commercial district as a whole. I also agree that the ADA is odd. Sure the stair case off of Adams is not ADA compliant, but, it's not like you can't access the station without any stairs from both Adams St on the other side of the tracks via the storage lot which is basically level, and again going around the corner in the other direction leads to level boarding and no stairs. Not ideal, sure, but it's not like those stairs are the only entrance to the station.

Back