General Portland Discussion

72327583_2612879308776479_1575724184078647296_o.jpg

This a view from the top level of the garage before it was torn down. Commercial Street had a totally different vibe back in the 60's and 70's and women and children stayed away from the area due to the smell of fish, trains, trucks, excess noise and inebriated fisherman.

Last edited:
View attachment 46478
The garage (bunker) and Casco Bank branch was in the area to the left and may have already been demolished in this photo.
The bunker lasted through the 90's, well after the tracks were removed. I think you can actually see a corner of it in this photo, gray corduroy-textured concrete directly below that fire escape. This appears to be during the demolition of DiMillo's, post-fire.

Nice catch Mark and I forgot all about the fire. I was deployed a lot during that period and missed out on some of the year to year changes.

Agree that the CCCC investment may have been throwing good money after bad, but given the program outlined (conference/convention center/entertainment venue) why pay top dollar for real estate & drive the astronomical cost even higher on the waterfront? There’s more than enough space and less expensive land in Bayside, Libbytown, the Post Office site on Forest Avenue, or (as many have suggested) the Top of the Port site, where getting to/from such a big, windowless, inward-facing facility would be achieved more easily — if anyone could convince taxpayers those facilities are still worth the massive public subsidies.
Sorry or not to beat a dead horse, but tonight there is a highly important high school basketball game at the civic center (I hate using "Cross..."). Cooper Flagg, the top high school player in the country and from Maine, is playing in perhaps his final game in Maine (and the civic center), though for a Florida high school team during his last year in high school (though he just turned 17). He's headed to Duke next fall. A few weeks ago, one of the best college girls' players in the nation (from Gorham), Mackenzie Holmes, playing for Indiana, was here to show her skillset too. We all know that our "hallowed" arena falls a bit short for showcasing national level sports. It also does not help to keep high school standouts in Maine. Portland is so close to Boston, and an easy ride on the train into North Station (Celtics). After tonight's game, Cooper and his team will be at the Expo tomorrow to play there, and perhaps a practice prior to learn and showcase his talents to the Maine Red Claws/Maine Celtics. Cooper is 6"9" and still growing, and a few months ago led a team comprised of Maine players that beat a team put together or approved by Le Bron James! There is a YouTube video of him shaking his head with a smile at what Cooper can do on the floor. Maine will probably never see anything like this again, or in our lifetimes. That said, imagine if the civic center remodel had been done with some foresight. I can hear it now: "Oh, there was no money for that TC." Wrong. There is always money for those who put in the effort, and that's not just with sweat but by being creative too. Watch tonight's game on Livestream, because something like this in sports in Maine will probably never happen again. NBA scouts from around the country will be watching, and perhaps many of Duke's alumni and players and even opponents too. Oh well.

What do you mean by he built it over? Like at a time there was a parking garage with a new building on top or he built it over the garage and dismantled the garage?
My recollection was that the Cianchette Block was built on top of the old "bunker" single-level parking deck on that location, but after other comments here, looking at the building on Google maps and reading through the documents at the below link, I think my memory was/is a little fuzzy on this. 🥴 It was likely torn down.

In a dream scenario.....those streets can be rebuilt, right? Seems like Newbury St would be rebuilt to join either Adams St or Fore St? And maybe even Federal St could be extended to join Adams? Freedom Way could be extended North (West?) to Sheridan St for smaller blocks and better traffic flow? 2 or 3 low income buildings could be built in that area across from the cemetery....no?
That would be cool to see, although I’d like to see some pedestrian-only streets mixed in there too

The build image they used for the story was early on, so nothing like the final. This is a notable new addition to the arch scene in Portland.

https://www.mainebiz.biz/article/boston-construction-firm-suffolk-expands-to-portland

Hmm, I wonder if they'd be in a position to take over the Rock Row medical campus debacle? I heard that Waterstone closed on new funding, but there were over 40 liens to clear to the tune of millions of dollars. I can't imagine Landry French would want anything to do with Waterstone at this point.

Hmm, I wonder if they'd be in a position to take over the Rock Row medical campus debacle? I heard that Waterstone closed on new funding, but there were over 40 liens to clear to the tune of millions of dollars. I can't imagine Landry French would want anything to do with Waterstone at this point.
It's a de facto fire sale now. The Boston to Brunswick spine (with its comfy train transportation) is a key attraction for these companies. As the Hardshore Distilling owner (mid 30s) said to me, "Portland is a suburb of Boston." He's from Brooklyn, so a two-hour drive is familiar (1:40:00 to Logan). And Portland's infrastructure is outstanding, with more workers on the way (migrants from NYC, etc.), so that will soon be less of a concern.

Last edited:
It's a de facto fire sale now.
It's sad to think the Rock Row development is a flop. It was something to be excited over, but in a sense we all sort of knew not to hold our breaths. Just like the Portland Foreside development, or Midtown, or any number of things we've been disappointed by over the years.

Before we had our own forum, I used to say that every Portland-specific project that got its own thread was doomed. Midtown was merely one example but I'm sure we can find others if we hit "next page" often enough.

I don't know that I'd consider the entirety of Rock Row to be a flop, considering the popularity of what's been built (Market Basket / Crumbl Cookies / etc.). It may not be exciting, but it's an improvement over a disused industrial site.

Why did Rock Row have to become so convoluted? All they had to do was build a mix of condos and apartment buildings.....and an array of retail/dining options that every loves. It's been done before all over the place....what was the freakin problem?

It might be worthwhile to take this to the Rock Row thread.

I wonder if Suffolk is opening this new office to chase the Northeastern grad school projects on the former B&M site. Suffolk is a massive firm, and there aren't many local companies that have the bandwidth to take on such a big project in Portland.

Suffolk is also an existing Northeastern client – they just finished their big new Science and Engineering complex near Ruggles in Boston:

Maine DOT buys former Denny’s in Portland to make way for roundabout

"The project is part of the plan to reconnect the Libbytown neighborhood that was divided in the 1960s by the construction of Interstate 295."

Does anyone know if there's additional info on this, because I don't see how more asphalt reconnects a neighborhood.
I believe this is part of the Libbytown Safety and Accessibility Project which has the potential to introduce solid bike infrastructure on Park and Congress.

It’s also related to the project to tie the Union Branch and Fore River Parkway Trail together.
https://content.civicplus.com/api/assets/afcd0ea1-bc01-4033-8b72-934b4acc47bf

Here’s a screen grab showing a roundabout in approximately the same spot and how these two projects fit together-

1706191563701.png

MDOT has a RFP for bus service from Lewiston and Portland. The proposed route is from Lewiston to the Portland transportation center via 95 to 295. The talk is to alleviate the parking problem at PWM but no one seems to want to provide service to the jetport..
1706721484271.png

Back