General South Bay Development (Formerly Gateway Center)

JPC

Reaction score
I remember hearing about this development about two years ago now when the Phase 1 report was concluded in September of 2004. Since then, I haven't heard much. The BRA website says the project has been under review by the MTA for almost two years and that the BRA and the South Bay Task Force have begun the second phase of this project, "that will result in a comprehensive plan for the Study Area and new zoning." I was curious if anyone knew anymore information on this project and its current status.

Links:
http://www.cityofboston.gov/bra/pdf/PlanningPublications//SouthBayReport.pdf
http://www.southbayplanningstudy.com/default.asp

It's been awhile since we have heard anything about this. I came across an article in the SAMPAN newspaper (Chinatown).

Chinatown Coalition Steps Up Efforts to Influence Development of 20-Acre Site

ADVERTISEMENT
Sep 1, 2006

by Adam Smith

A coalition of Chinatown groups and residents has stepped up its efforts to influence the development and design of 20 acres of land bordering Chinatown and the Leather District.

The group, named the Chinatown Gateway Coalition, last month hired its first full-time staff person, Kai Leung, who will act as project coordinator, and it plans to hold a community design forum in coming months for the land, which is officially known as the South Bay Planning Study Area, and unofficially known as the Chinatown Gateway area. Currently, the coalition is educating Chinatown residents about the land, which city officials hope to turn into a new residential district, and its pending development.

The South Bay Planning Study Area, which consists mostly of former Big Dig parcels, is bounded by Kneeland Street, Albany Street, the Massachusetts Turnpike I-90 mainline, and the I-93 northbound mainline.

Developing the land could prove costly and complicated because elevated highway roads and ramps cross through it, leaving only about 10 acres of usable dirt ground. Nevertheless, the year-old Chinatown Gateway Coalition hopes to take advantage of a lull in the city and state planning process for the area and draft its own guidelines for developing the land.

More than two years ago, the Boston Redevelopment Authority and the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority began working with city residents, architects, developers and planners to create zoning and development guidelines for the area. In September of 2004, the Boston Redevelopment Authority issued a report on the South Bay's planning process, which was to be broken into two phases. Shortly after the first phase was completed with the issuing of the report, the land was open for bids. Only one developer, Boston Residential, submitted a proposal for developing the area, most of which is owned by the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority.

But since October of 2004, news of the South Bay Planning Study Area has died down, and the Turnpike Authority has revealed little public information about its intentions for the 20 acres. It has also issued no decision on whether it will select Boston Residential to build hundreds of apartments and condos and a towering 67-floor building. The lack of planning activity by city and state officials for the land has been capped by the recent controversies plaguing the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority due to its handling of the construction of Big Dig tunnels and its leadership shakeup.

This is where the coalition hopes to step in and create its own guidelines for building on the land, before the Boston Redevelopment Authority and the Turnpike Authority begin the second phase of their planning process.

"[We] have come together to create a community vision of how to develop the Chinatown Gateway area," said Leung, who has previously worked as a community organizer for the Chinese Progressive Association, which participates in the coalition.

He suggested that the coalition fears that city and state officials will not seek out or enforce building plans and guidelines that benefit Chinatown residents.

"We feel like the Chinatown community has a stake in what can be developed there. If we do not take part in the process, then we will lose out," he said.

Alex Zhang, who works for the Asian Community Development Corporation, also a member of the coalition, said the Gateway group is dissatisfied with the development process initiated by the Boston Redevelopment Authority and the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority. Zhang said that the coalition has worked to educate residents of Chinatown on the South Bay Planning Study Area and found that most residents don't know anything about the land.

Even the name of the land to be developed is a point of contention.

"The city and state call it the South Bay Planning Study Area. We're calling it the Chinatown Gateway because about three-fourths of the land is under Chinatown area zoning," said Leung.

Sue Kim, a project manager at the Boston Redevelopment Authority, however, said that the city included members of the Chinatown community as well as residents of the Leather District to participate in the first phase of the planning process for the South Bay Planning Study Area. She also said that the city agency is open to working with the coalition. In addition, the Boston Redevelopment Authority's report on the study area issued in 2004 was translated into Chinese and widely distributed.

Kim also noted that early visions for the land could change during the second phase of planning. She said that initially city planners had "some pretty big ideas" for the South Bay Planning Study Area because of the large size of the land and the complexity of developing the site, which contains raised highways and roads. But, she indicated that as the design process is revisited later this year, the development goals for the land may be altered to allow for the most feasible development project.

The Massachusetts Turnpike Authority could not be reached by press time for this story.

Renaming it Chinatown Gateway is a good start. It reminds everyone that this is properly considered an extension of an existing neighborhood. Also 'South Bay' is already the name of an unrelated area a mile south of here.

It's a terrible idea. Boston neighborhoods tend to be extremely conservative and populated by Untermenschen with no sense of urban design. Look how the seaport's planning process was screwed up just because it had 'South Boston' in its name, which gave a not-too-nearby neighborhood to much say. By all means, keep the needs of Chinatown in mind when doing the planning, but basically treat the place as the blank slate it is, and be bold!

justin

^ I've heard that before... then they ripped down half the city and called the new cement crap, architecture.

This is a LOT closer to existing Chinatown (like, across the street!) than any of the piers are to residential Southie.

Worst case scenario = nothing happens. And forgive my pessimism, but I doubt anything will- this project seems vastly more intricate than Columbus Center, and look at how much trouble that's having. But certainly the name "South Bay" is bad, because there already is a South Bay. Gateway Center seems fine. Chinatown Gateway? Sure, if it'll help get something built.

'Gateway Center' is already the name of a strip mall in Everett, near Wellington station. Too generic, anyway. I'd go for 'South Gate'.

Chinatown is not afraid of tall buildings and the tallest here at 67 floors has little opposition. The ACDC did a fine job on the Metropolitan and worked with the city to zone Kneeland Street to 300ft- besides that a 67 floor Asian style skyscraper along with a whole lot of housing could look quite nice on Bostons skyline.

So what's the problem? People are stupid, they don't understand Urban Planning? Well any damn fool can look at a building and tell you if it is good or not but for some reason architects aren't always that insightful and often need to be gently nudged in the right direction.

Actually, is the plan to build 2 67-story buildings. All of the renderings of the vision seem to show 2 identical tall buildings right next to each other.

I actually just walked down to the area today to scope it out. With all those temporary on/off ramps, I wonder how long any of this would actually take.

Scott said:
Chinatown is not afraid of tall buildings and the tallest here at 67 floors has little opposition.

Not true. From the Jacob Wirth's thread:

DarkFenX said:
Tower Begins City ReviewSome residents of Chinatown have expressed unease at the proposed height of the building, officially in the Midtown Cultural District, especially as several other high-rise towers are proposed and under construction for the area.
Also, I'm pretty Asian-style development often means massive displacement and very heavy-handed practices- like the West End without remorse. This means that Asians in general might not care for skyscrapers, even if the few making the decisions do. But I'm a white guy who's never been there and shouldn't speak for them.

You've never been to Chinatown? How is that possible? :shock:

Who gets displaced when they are building over a highway?

^ I smell sarcasm, but just in case, I meant I've never been to China. I haven't been to Chinatown since, like, Tuesday or something.

I meant to say that planning the towers and public spaces with an asian flair may not be a completely bad idea. Has nothing to do with China or its policies... 'tis all. :)

How come I never hear anything from people from Chinatown

Everyone else keeps saying, "Oh, Chinatown's suffered," blah, blah, blah ...

What do the people who live there actually think?

I've never heard anyone on this board say that Chinatown is suffering.

Gee, whats your financial interest in all this?

i'm really excited about this, what are the chances it will actually happen??

Not too good. This idea was first started several years ago. The last meeting that was held regarding the future of this project was in 2004 (to my knowledge). This project is mostly just a pipe dream.

Below is the rendering of the tower I knew I had seen quite a while back (found this in the WIKI).

SouthBay.jpg

This tower looks awesome! So this is the 67 floor tower people have been refering to? I kept thinking it was the taller buildings in this photo...

margulies0mh.jpg

So the plans for both of those images are pretty distinct. I love the tower so much, but the idea of the village is cool too. So is this moot, since none of this is going to probably happen?

Does anyone know anything about the history of that tower rendering? (who designed it, when it came about, it's purpose, etc)

Thanks!

The land will get developed eventually, its too valuable not to be, but what we end up with is anyone's guess at this point.

Back