Gigantic plans for Westbrook

Definitely agree about a new thread dedicated to this stuff. That would be a great idea. I'll leave the logistics to you, since Boston seems more likely to lure in readers, and I know more about Portland. impressive density figures for Boston, I must have been confused. It has been years since I looked at the statistics. 61,000 in the North End? That is huge. I wonder what it was at its peak (before urban renewal changed things up a bit). any idea? Perhaps we could get on this in the new thread...? Poor westbrook is feeling jealous and insignificant.

There's no need for Westbrook to feel "jealous and insignificant". It is, after all, a different animal.

I'll try to research older density figures for the North End. This may be difficult, but I'll give it my best.

That comment was said somewhat tongue in cheek. I would be interested to see what you come up with.

FYI, there's already a thread on this subject in Existing Development:

http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=3390

I actually looked up Portland's population a few days ago and was shocked that it was barely larger than Taunton. I assumed it had to be over 100,000. That will show you: relative size matters. Taunton is considered a suburb of Boston with some bare vestiges of independent citydom; Portland is the largest city in Maine. One will always seem bigger, if only because of context.

^It's funny you mention those two. I grew up in Assonet, near Taunton and my girlfriend is from Portland (well, Scarborough). When we first started dating, we went to dinner at a restaurant in Taunton and I told her it had almost as many people as Portland and she was shocked.

The reality is that the two places are entirely different and Taunton is a perfect example of the Jacksonville effect. If you look at city population alone (regardless of urbanized area or metro populations), you'd think it's a lot bigger than it is. Taunton has more than double the land area of Portland, thus the similar population. Taunton looks a lot more like a small town with a few small urban pockets (my girlfriend said it reminded her of a more run-down Bangor which I'd agree with). It's not nearly the same size as Portland and not nearly as regionally significant. I don't even know if there are any vestiges of independent citydom.

Fall River, on the other hand, has 30,000 more people than Portland but looks and feels like it's around the same size as Portland. Still, there's not nearly as much activity downtown as Portland since it's not even close to being a regional center (seeing as it's overshadowed by nearby Providence, Boston and even New Bedford). That's not even getting into the fact that Fall River is entirely economically depressed, poorly educated, and largely impoverished while Portland has some of those things, but still has a far more educated population and actually feels like a small, thriving urban pocket rather than a burned out mill town (This applies to Taunton as well as Fall River). At least Taunton is actually somewhat suburban now. Fall River's just a shell and I don't see that changing for a while. It just goes to show how little population statistics really show you.

Portland is in a unique position. It really is tiny, but it's the only city around. Therefore it's a hub. People in Maine (and even NH and parts of Canada) travel hundreds of miles to get to Portland. Even people who live next door to Fall River pass on it in favor of Providence or Boston. Portland certainly appears larger than it is. It's a real regional center despite its diminutive size.

Last edited:
Well, if Fall River and other towns like it are emptying out during the days for Boston and Prov, just imagine how much busier those two cities would be if all of the people who actually work and recreate there actually lived there (i.e., if Fall River and similarly situated cities on Boston/Prov periphery were to be picked up and moved to the city proper). There would be more country, less sprawl, and a lot more urbanism in the core. As it stands, it seems like Fall River (using this as my example for the sake of continuity in the discussion) lacks an urban presence of note, and Boston and Providence, although they aren't in the same situation, could only benefit from more people. This highlights the problem of sprawl, which in a loose sense, Fall River is. I read a while back there was a MAPC idea to funnel new growth to the old established mill and industrial towns that circle Boston, and revitalize them. I think this would be great, but I'm not sure its possible. It seems as though Boston is a black hole that is sucking up the core of the region, from R.I. to Maine, and I think new growth should be concentrated there. Of course, I can see success either way, regardless of which approach is taken, but it just seems like the older industrial cities are no longer cities and are now more bedrooms for boston. If they can't be central cities, they shouldn't be bedrooms, because that does nothing for them and nothing for the larger cities nearby.

Burlington, VT, by the way, is exactly the same as you have described Portland. Tiny but busting at the seams because there is nowhere else to go. The college has a HUGE effect, too, of course, but I think its more than that. really, there is NOWHERE else to go in northern VT.

Well, if Fall River and other towns like it are emptying out during the days for Boston and Prov, just imagine how much busier those two cities would be if all of the people who actually work and recreate there actually lived there (i.e., if Fall River and similarly situated cities on Boston/Prov periphery were to be picked up and moved to the city proper). There would be more country, less sprawl, and a lot more urbanism in the core. As it stands, it seems like Fall River (using this as my example for the sake of continuity in the discussion) lacks an urban presence of note, and Boston and Providence, although they aren't in the same situation, could only benefit from more people. This highlights the problem of sprawl, which in a loose sense, Fall River is. I read a while back there was a MAPC idea to funnel new growth to the old established mill and industrial towns that circle Boston, and revitalize them. I think this would be great, but I'm not sure its possible. It seems as though Boston is a black hole that is sucking up the core of the region, from R.I. to Maine, and I think new growth should be concentrated there. Of course, I can see success either way, regardless of which approach is taken, but it just seems like the older industrial cities are no longer cities and are now more bedrooms for boston. If they can't be central cities, they shouldn't be bedrooms, because that does nothing for them and nothing for the larger cities nearby.

Burlington, VT, by the way, is exactly the same as you have described Portland. Tiny but busting at the seams because there is nowhere else to go. The college has a HUGE effect, too, of course, but I think its more than that. really, there is NOWHERE else to go in northern VT.

I agree with much of that. Many who live in Fall River commute to Boston or Providence for work. Still, Many more are urban poor who can't afford Providence or Boston. I don't know how much Boston and PVD would appreciate those people being shipped up to Boston.

As awful and radical as it may sound, I'd love to see Fall River get a bit of the Detroit treatment. There are so many abandoned and foreclosed homes in the city that it couldn't hurt to move many of the people in outer urban neighborhoods toward the city center and level some of the older built environment in favor of farmland and even letting some of it be overtaken by the existing Freetown-Fall River State Forest which already covers a large chunk of town. There really is no urban presence in Fall River at all. The city is a mess of abandoned factories, foreclosed three deckers urban renewal scars and spaghetti highways with one beautiful historic neighborhood thrown in (the Highlands). If you took this approach you'd likely get some people moving out of the city to Providence or Boston and others staying in Fall River, but in different areas.

The other real beneficiary of that approach would be New Bedford. The cities are often talked about in the same breath as they are so close (10 mi apart), but they are VERY different and are on separate paths right now (New Bedford is rapidly improving and Fall River is declining further). New Bedford DOES have an urban presence with a big, beautiful downtown, active (and growing) seaport traffic, beaches, harbor, etc. Reducing Fall River's size would essentially set New Bedford's position as a regional center for the South Coast in stone (it's already the center in most people's eyes, but that would cement it). It would allow more attention to be given to growing New Bedford as THE city in that region as opposed to ONE of the cities in the region. Fall River would stand a better chance by reducing the amount of infrastructure and condensing the population and New Bedford could grow more efficiently without its ugly conjoined twin (even though NB was really around long before Fall River). Obviously, this will never happen, but it would be good for fall River (and the region). Too much of the city is waste land.

You're right about industrial cities in the metro and sprawl. I find it really interesting to see what happens to these once independent cities as they become more secondary cities in the metro area. Lowell and Haverhill have responded relatively well in recent years while Lawrence and Brockton have really done poorly (still declining). Fall River is more aligned with Providence and New Bedford is really sort of on the periphery of both metros, not really aligning with either yet... soon enough though. I like satellite cities, but Boston has too many for them all to be viable. Taunton is the next one to watch, IMHO. With coming commuter rail and a nice, historic New England Green, I think it has potential to be VERY attractive for Boston area residents and the nice urban core can make it a great urban suburb.

I don't know if it's an either/or scenario. I would guess that both moving people out of some of the crappier industrial cities (Fall River, Brockton, Lawrence, etc) into the larger cities AND encouraging growth in ones that show promise (Taunton, Lowell, Haverhill, etc) can really go a long way for all three environments in the Boston/Providence metros (urban, rural, and suburban).

For the record, I always consider Burlington a sort of mini-Portland on a lake. Maybe a little more collegiate, but there are a lot of similarities. Not too many small cities in the Northeast have the level of independence from larger cities that those two have. Bangor may be another, but it's not comparable to Burlington or Portland.

I don't know if it's an either/or scenario. I would guess that both moving people out of some of the crappier industrial cities (Fall River, Brockton, Lawrence, etc) into the larger cities AND encouraging growth in ones that show promise (Taunton, Lowell, Haverhill, etc) can really go a long way for all three environments in the Boston/Providence metros (urban, rural, and suburban).

For the record, I always consider Burlington a sort of mini-Portland on a lake. Maybe a little more collegiate, but there are a lot of similarities. Not too many small cities in the Northeast have the level of independence from larger cities that those two have. Bangor may be another, but it's not comparable to Burlington or Portland.

agreed. Burlington is a bit more crunchy hippy towny but a similar vibe for sure. good point about moving some people out of the more run down regional slums and directing growth to the ones with promise. That would be better.

I agree with a lot of what's being said here... Boston is a black hole, and while it's revival is good, it does suck life out of smaller cities within a 50-75 mile radius. I love the idea of a massive change in land-use: metro Boston being the regional center with semi-independent satellite cities in New Bedford, Providence, Worcester, Lowell, Manchester, and so on linked by commuter rail, and mostly open spaces--farms, forests and a few small towns--in between. This would be sort of a return to pre-war land use, but it seemed to be working pretty well. The result would be much more efficient land use, denser more livable cities, better public transit, more community and less isolation, and a greater sense of importance in the satellite cities.

It would be incredibly difficult to do, however. You'd need to get several states and probably the federal government on board, somehow offer incentives for people to leave the suburbs (rising gas prices and changing preferences will help this anyway), and it goes against the vaunted, if misleading idea of self-determination in this country. We'd also have to overcome the last time planners attempted to drastically alter the landscape through urban renewal and highways, which obviously didn't sit well with many people and is maligned today. That this plan would reverse the damage those planners did would probably matter little to people. I think the best bet is to stop subsidizing automobile travel, modify zoning to favor greater density and urban growth boundaries, improve mass transit, and the auto-centric land use patterns would reverse themselves pretty quickly. If this began to happen, I think you could see a regional Detroit-style approach of giving those outside urban growth boundaries incentives to relocate. It would be difficult, but we'd have to stop subsidizing inefficient, wasteful suburbs by focusing infrastructure and new development in urban centers.

What you have just described is the same idea as espoused by Ebenezer Howard in his book "Garden Cities of Tomorrow" written over a century ago. Peter Calthorpe, a california planner, proposes something similar with his TODs today. Also, stockholm tried something very similar, and it was somewhat of a failure. These things, as you said, are very hard to force.

Back