Gov't Center Station Rebuild

I love how that bucket is supposed to be only used for leaks at State. xD

Checked it out on Saturday for the first time, loved it, nice job by all involved. Took the elevator from Green to street level, and from the time I stepped in to the time the door closed, two separate sets of people came in with me and left when I told them it was the elevator up and not the elevator to Blue. I forget exactly what is on that level in the way of signs, but a little extra wayfinding help might be in order for folks trying to find the Blue elevator. (anecdotal evidence concluded)

I love how that bucket is supposed to be only used for leaks at State. xD

Indeed. A good bucket is a precious thing. I'd be more inclined to let a neighbor borrow a lawnmower than borrow a good bucket. If I was manager of a T station, I'd get possessive about my leak-catching buckets, too.

I'd also long for the day when I would not need to deploy my bucket for leaks, but, well, ....

Hey look. Exactly like I said:

"A contracting crew on site evaluated the situation and believes snow accumulated in a two foot deep excavation ditch which was dug above ground where sidewalks and street lights are being installed," he said. "As the snow melted, water apparently found small pathways down into an unused non-public tunnel and then seeped down to the ceiling area over the Blue Line platform."

DePaola continued: "Waterproofing sealant material will be installed as the project engineer continues to evaluate the situation. It is believed this issue occurred because soil was exposed and construction activity was occurring above ground. The MBTA will continue to monitor and mitigate the situation."
Source

As part of the landscaping for the station, a number (20?) of large diameter trees have been planted on the Plaza. Looks nice and softens the hardscape a bit.

Also, it looks like they are building a playground.

As part of the landscaping for the station, a number (20?) of large diameter trees have been planted on the Plaza. Looks nice and softens the hardscape a bit.

Also, it looks like they are building a playground.

Semass -- wonder if after the tree planting that the station will need more or perhaps fewer buckets to catch the leaking water from above
:p

Are they replacing brick throughout the plaza, not just near the construction site? My last time there (Boston Calling in May), people were tripping over loose bricks left and right.

Are they replacing brick throughout the plaza, not just near the construction site? My last time there (Boston Calling in May), people were tripping over loose bricks left and right.

Is this related to the station rebuild, or to the plaza rehab? They had a plaza redo planned, right? It's not like anything's gone wrong with the new station area.

Is this related to the station rebuild, or to the plaza rehab? They had a plaza redo planned, right? It's not like anything's gone wrong with the new station area.
It's part of the station construction site that they tore up while rebuilding the station headhouse. I don't think it is part of the "official" rehab of the plaza.

Seems that they are taking forever to finish the ground work & landscaping. The station was reopened in March. This is September now.

A bit off topic, but in the last photo above the faux antique street lights and posts look a bit cornball.

A bit off topic, but in the last photo above the faux antique street lights and posts look a bit cornball.

Probably to bring back some of the old flavor from the era of the once-popular Scollay Square.

So maybe I am in the vast minority here, but I am really a fan of the new headhouse. I think that last image from Beeline, where a corner of the headhouse is juxtaposed against the old boston buildings is quintessential boston - old-meets-new / founding-fathers-meet-high-tech / ancient-roots-meet-cutting-edge have always been Bostonian themes throughout our history, and this perpetuates that. And on a second/unrelated note, I love how when one emerges from the subway, you ascend up into this swath of sunlight. Overall it just works for me.

(and to all the neasayers who claim this glass head house is what broke the taxpayer's budget on this project, it simply isn't true. Sure it added a little bit, but its in the noise compared to all the other work. It's analogous to trying to say the Zakim bridge's beautiful design is what broke the big dig. Sure, big dig was broken, but not due to that aesthetic item. These visible items make convenient scapegoats when projects go over budget/schedule, but the truth is rarely that superficial.)

I was in there the other day. It is a huge improvement for riders. I couldn't help but think that if the windows up high on the box could open it could produce some pretty remarkable natural ventilation for the the station and some of the tunnels. It could work like a chimney, drawing the hot stale air from the system up an out while forcing fresh air in at other portals.

I was in there the other day. It is a huge improvement for riders. I couldn't help but think that if the windows up high on the box could open it could produce some pretty remarkable natural ventilation for the the station and some of the tunnels. It could work like a chimney, drawing the hot stale air from the system up an out while forcing fresh air in at other portals.

That station, Park Street & State Street Station are known to get so unbearably hot down there during the hot months of summer.

The fans do nothing but just circulate the hot air, as though they feel almost like being in an oven. Like the platforms in Penn Station in NYC. :eek:

Last edited:

It's called the stack effect.

card-29219888-back.jpg

Back