GrandMarc Residence Hall (YMCA) @ Northeastern U | 291 St. Botolph Street | Fenway

Re: YMCA/ Northeastern Dorm (formerly GrandMarc at St. Botolph)

While I don't support the petition, historical significance can apply to what happened inside the building, not just its architecture.

Ron seriously. They're tearing down where the gym is now. Lots of good ideas in the steamer there? Wasn't the part of the complex being demolished constructed in the swinging 60s?

While I don't support the petition, historical significance can apply to what happened inside the building, not just its architecture.

And what historical signature happened in the gym? Oh because some former druggies and criminal found a place to keep them out of trouble? How is that even historical? I know you don't support the petition but the reasonings that you are contributing is laughable. I guess all rehabilitation centers should be given a historical landmark status.

Why are you guya ignoring the first part of Ron's post? The part that says (and I quote):

Ron said:
While I don't support the petition

Why are you guya ignoring the first part of Ron's post? The part that says (and I quote):

I didn't. You ignored my 4th sentence.

Well, not so much 'ignored' as 'read too quickly and missed the beginning of'. Sorry.

http://huntnewsnu.com/2011/06/dorm-plan-moving-ahead/
Dorm plan moving ahead
Posted by The Huntington News on 6/09/11 ? Categorized as News

By Jill Bongiorni, News Staff

Northeastern has already cleared several roadblocks in solidifying plans for demolition of the back of the Greater Boston YMCA on Huntington Avenue and construction of the new 17-story, 720-bed dormitory that will be built in its place. While still anticipating several more bumps on the road, Vice President of City Affairs John Tobin says everything is on track for an August 2013 opening.

?It?s full steam ahead and everybody around here is working very, very hard to make that happen,? said Tobin, who was a Boston City Councilor before coming to Northeastern last summer.

Almost 1,000 disgruntled members of the Huntington Avenue YMCA signed a petition to attempt to prevent Phoenix Property Company and Northeastern from moving ahead with plans to construct the dormitory.

More than 970 of 2,700 Huntington Avenue branch members signed the petition, which began in late January.

Northeastern and Phoenix Property Co., an affiliate of Lincoln Property Co. in Dallas, entertained the idea of purchasing the back of the Y?s Hasting Wing and St. Botolph?s frontage, which houses the fitness center, for about a year before taking action, Tobin said. The public process started in October 2010 when the chief executive of the YMCA, Kevin Washington and Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino announced Phoenix Property was in terms of agreement to purchase the back of the YMCA building.

Since then, the university has been involved in various task meetings, zoning hearings and civic association meetings. Northeastern also came to agreement with its neighbors at the New England Conservatory, which proved to be a key factor in gaining approval from the Boston Landmarks Commission, Tobin said.

With the demolition permit coming through in the next few days and a consultation with the Massachusetts Historical Commission in the works, the demolition process should begin this month.

To ease the university?s financial burdens, Phoenix Property Company will purchase the Hasting Wing and St. Botolph?s frontage from the YMCA for $21.5 million dollars. Phoenix will then invest $75 million into constructing the residence hall, which will be leased to Northeastern University under a 15-year contract, ?with some options after that,? Tobin said.

To alleviate stress on Y members, some of whom vehemently opposed the university?s plans, Northeastern has opened the Marino Center and the Barletta Natatorium in the Cabot Physical Education Center doors to all members during the construction process.

However, Mike Vaughn, 21, a personal trainer at the Y, said it is not only members who will be inconvenienced.

?I work a lot with the after-school programs and there are kids that won?t have a basketball court now. The Y has no means to build a new court because there?s no revenue and kids play for free all day,? said Vaughn, who has worked at the YMCA for two years. ?I don?t care about me, I can get another job; I?m just worried about the kids. These poor kids don?t have anywhere else to go and Northeastern should be responsible for that.?

Tobin pointed out that while there will be a lapse in services over the next two years, the YMCA is putting the $22 million in proceeds toward the creation a new state-of-the-art building.

?We understand fully that there are some Y members that are upset; their daily routine will be inconvenienced and we understand,? Tobin said. ?But we are trying to do our part to help out and mitigate inconvenience from some of the members. There will be a lapse in some services these next couple of years, but when it?s all said and done, this is a win-win-win.?

Tobin said it is positive for the community because housing units will be freed up for non-students looking to move to Roxbury, Mission Hill, Fenway, Back Bay or the South End.

It is a win for Northeastern because they are fulfilling a commitment made to the city of Boston over a decade ago, he said.

Northeastern?s efforts to build the new dormitory are a result of a commitment the university made to the city of Boston in 2006 to house 1,800 more students on campus. The construction of International Village, which contains 1,200 beds, filled part of that quota.

To free up more apartments near campus and smooth rifts between the university and its neighboring communities, Northeastern has mandated that starting with the 2011 incoming class, all freshmen and sophomores will be required to live on campus. According to Tobin, this decision was made without pressure from the city and was due to the fact that freshmen and sophomores are responsible for 80 percent of off-campus run-ins with neighbors and police.

?And it is a win for the city of Boston for all those reasons,? Tobin said. ?The city made Northeastern stick to its commitment and it is a win in regards to its neighborhoods by freeing up units for families and individuals.?

Once the plans for the new dorm are completed and construction starts, the university will continue to look ahead. NU?s last Institutional Master Plan will expire when the 1,800-bed quota is filled, which means another master plan for the next 10 years will need to be drafted immediately.

I fear Mike Vaughn is going to have a life full of disappointments ahead of him.

The Central YMCA's future has been in question for almost a decade; as a contingency shouldn't those third party programs have bothered to find alternative locations by now?

Northeastern Rejects Alternative Sites for YMCA Dorm Project
School officials say Huntington YMCA site remains choice location for residential tower.
By Alix Roy Email the author August 5, 2011

Boston residents fed up with Northeastern University’s plan to build a tower-style dormitory behind the historic YMCA on Huntington Avenue packed last week’s meeting of the Massachusetts Historical Commission to suggest alternative sites for the contentious project.

Under current plans, which have been approved by the Boston Redevelopment Authority, the gymnasium located on St. Botolph Street at the rear of 316-320 Huntington Avenue would be partially demolished and then renovated into a new 17-story dorm that could house 720 students. PPC Land Ventures, Inc. is investing $75 million into the construction of the dorm, which Northeastern will then lease.

Residents and YMCA members have been fighting the proposed plan since its inception, arguing that the demolition of the historic building will negatively affect the character of the neighborhood while removing vital services from the Y.

In March, a letter from the Massachusetts Historical Commission found the project would have an “adverse effect” on the nearly 100-year old YMCA building, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a local landmark.

“The size and scale of the new construction overwhelms the historic YMCA building and thus alters the setting of this historic property as viewed from multiple vantage points,” Executive Director Brona Simon wrote in the letter.

While the Commission does not have the power to halt the project, Northeastern University is required to cooperate with efforts to avoid, diminish or mitigate any adverse effects caused by the project, Simon said last week. That includes responding to suggestions of alternative sites for the project, many of which were submitted by concerned neighbors and members of the group Save the Boston Y.

Several suggestions supported building on sites already owned by Northeastern such as the Gainsborough Garage and Cullinane Hall site considered for development in 2006. South End resident James Cooper questioned why the large parking lot located behind Ruggles Station on Columbus Avenue had not been considered.

“That parking lot is one of the lowest used land areas in the entire South End area,” he said. “It is far and away the most prime spot for further dorms. They could be built without knocking anything down and still provide plenty of parking on the property.”

But Northeastern senior counsel Ralph Martin said plans were already underway to turn the lot into athletic fields.

”That site was examined and rejected by the community task force and approved as recreation fields,” he said. “Plans are underway to convert it into that use.”

Martin also dismissed the Gainsborough Garage and Cullinane Hall sites as “infeasible” through a letter to the Commission dated June 29, citing “inadequate economic resources” and the “financial downturn.”

At last week’s meeting, Martin argued that switching the project’s location would not eliminate neighborhood concerns.

“The irony of those suggestions is that were we to develop them as sites instead of participating in the development of the Y site we’d still be here today,” he said.

Through its current agreement with Northeastern, the YMCA plans to invest $10 million into the existing building, allowing it to upgrade services for members, according to YMCA Senior Vice President for Development and Communications Kelley Rice.

“There’s a ton of space in this building that sadly is under-utilized,” she said in February. “[After renovations] we will still retain close to 100,000 square feet.”

As part of the renovations, the building will finally become handicapped accessible and provide family friendly facilities, Rice said.

But for many abutters, those benefits are outweighed by fear of deteriorating home values and dimishing neighborhood character.

“They are absorbing our neighborhoods building by building,” said Fenway resident Richard Orareo. “I believe [Northeastern] has the finances to do this on [their] own land by [its] own means.”

Demolition on the gymnasium was slated to begin in June, but remains held up by the MEC review. In an April letter to PPC Land Ventures, Simon claimed the developer had not made a "good faith effort" to explore project alternatives, extending the review process into July.
Somebody tell these freaking smucks that only the back portion of the building, the gym, NOT THE ENTIRE BUILDING, is being demolished. There's nothing of historical significance with the extension. I'm so happy that NU is standing up to these "community leaders" and even calling them out by stating, no matter where NU builds, it will have to contend with the same people. Martin should have continued to state that if they shelve the project, the same "community leaders" will be complaining about NU not building enough dorm for their students.

This is one example where the community's voice Should Not Be Heard!

If the real issue of contention here is that the YMCA will reduce its services to the surrounding community, the alternative sites would eliminate that concern.

If the real issue of contention here is that the YMCA will reduce its services to the surrounding community, the alternative sites would eliminate that concern.

Won't this just harm YMCA services even more in the long run since they would lose out on the cash infusion from NU's development partner?

Boston Landmarks Commission meeting on landmarking parts of the YMCA is TONIGHT.

The commission plans to review the petition at its meeting tonight at 6 p.m. in Room 805 of City Hall.

Save the Boston Y, will also hold a meeting for residents on Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. at 352 Massachusetts Ave.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/south_end/2011/08/boston_landmarks_commission_to.html

The MA Historical Commission thinks it is worth preserving.

Mr. Martin and John Tobin, N.U. V.P. of Community Relations have repeatedly stated that N.U. doesn't have the funds to build on the Gainsborough Garage and Cullinane Hall sites without providing any documentation.

I have lived in the Fenway for 30 of the last 33 years. I am a Y member. The building of International Village on Columbus Ave. was applauded by many, including myself.

Kelley Rice, the Y Director of Communication is a former BRA board member who was hired to grease the skids for this project.

Addtionally, the site is zoned for 85 /2" and the proposed project is 90".

Phoenix will build and operate this "dorm" with N.U. having an option to buy.

In reality this is a "student rooming house," not a "dorm".

I am for N.U. building 2 dorms on the Gainsborough Garage and Cullinane Hall properties.

Methinks those properties will be developed in any event and the Y scenario is merely a pretext to expand the N.U. footprint.

Did I mention that N.U. owns $1.2 billion in real estate according to the 4/24/11 BOSTON GLOBE for which it pays $30,572 in PILOT/Payment in Lieu of Taxes?

Doesn't the Y need the money to renovate and improve services? How long would they be able to keep running as is without it?
I can't with this.

Did I mention that N.U. owns $1.2 billion in real estate according to the 4/24/11 BOSTON GLOBE for which it pays $30,572 in PILOT/Payment in Lieu of Taxes?

You do realize that the YMCA is also tax-exempt and does not pay property taxes on its properties right? Here is the entry on the YMCA building's tax status. Note that the YMCA is absent from Boston's PILOT contributions list for all years listed.

IT'S A FREAKING RESIDENCE HALL!!! It will house students in a single, central location relative to campus as oppose to more of them dispersing to Mission Hill, the Fenway, South End, Back Bay, and Roxbury neighborhoods where meeting-after-meeting "geniuses" like you complain about how bad everyone/everything with potential is for this city.

And about NU owning $X.X Billion worth of property... WTF does that have to do with them trying to finance a residence hall? If a homeowner's house is valued at $1 million, wants to add on a guesthouse that would cost about $75,000, and he's kind of short on money because he's already paying for everything else that keeps the house/his family/life running, then obviously he'd decide it's too risky financially to build that guesthouse. But if his neighbor stepped in and said "I can build and pay for the guesthouse, just pay me a monthly/annual lease until you're able to buyback the guesthouse from me," well that just seems like too obvious a deal to take advantage of.

You and your Save-The-Y mates have gotten so annoying over the past year, I feel like you're missing the point of this project. If this project fails to get off the ground because of your NIMBY-ism, then the Huntington YMCA will effectively be broke/forced to close down and ironically enough it will be the fault of "Save The Y" supporters that ultimately cause the foundation's own demise.

Think about that.

Mr. Martin and John Tobin, N.U. V.P. of Community Relations have repeatedly stated that N.U. doesn't have the funds to build on the Gainsborough Garage and Cullinane Hall sites without providing any documentation.

I have lived in the Fenway for 30 of the last 33 years. I am a Y member. The building of International Village on Columbus Ave. was applauded by many, including myself.

Kelley Rice, the Y Director of Communication is a former BRA board member who was hired to grease the skids for this project.

It's still going to be a dorm, with access managed by proctors and rooms managed by NU. NU do have off-campus properties that they own but nothing as large as this scale and there is no way that they will leave it as "rooming houses."

And yes, NU do have money to build the structure. NU was set the double to size of its Burlington campus but have not done anything to actually push the project forward. The money is still there and can be allocated to this dorm instead seeing how this project is more imminent. If NU has the fund to expand its Burlington Campus, then it has the money to build the dorm instead.

So... what happened at least night's Landmarks Commission meeting?

Back