GrandMarc Residence Hall (YMCA) @ Northeastern U | 291 St. Botolph Street | Fenway

Re: YMCA/ Northeastern Dorm (formerly GrandMarc at St. Botolph)

N.U. will not be building on vacant land! please go to savethebostony.com to see the artist's rendering of the "dorm".

Yes, the pre-teens who are served by the Y's programs will be the big losers here. Gee, do you think that Northeastern is broken up by having less African american and lation kids around their students?

Why don't you take a walk around the campus to see how diverse it is before you make such a stupid knee jerk liberal comment like that. By the way the a in American should be capitalized.

The Y will be holding 2 meetings regarding the proposed demolition of the Y gym to make way for a Northeastern "dorm'.

-Tuesday, February 7 at 6 P.M. in the 1st. floor library
-Wednesday, February 8, 7:30 A.M. in the 1st. floor library

Savethebostony.com will be having a meeting to stop this project on Sunday, February 19 at Bailis House, 352 Mass. Ave. on Sunday February 19 at 4 P.M.

N.U. will not be building on vacant land! please go to savethebostony.com to see the artist's rendering of the "dorm".

Yes, the pre-teens who are served by the Y's programs will be the big losers here. Gee, do you think that Northeastern is broken up by having less African American and Latino kids around their students?

You are a FUCKING IDIOT. Northeastern has a center dedicated specifically to African Americans (John D O'Bryant Center) and the Latin Americans (The Latino American Center). They have African American frats and sororities, a Latino American dance troupe called Caliente. Go educate your dumbass. You make your fellow supporter look even worse than they already are.

Why don't you take a walk around the campus to see how diverse it is before you make such a stupid knee jerk liberal comment like that. By the way the a in American should be capitalized.

what was liberal about his comment?

I'm not a fan of this project either. I think it will be a wide, stubby, concrete-paneled eye-sore that looks like it crawled out of the Seaport onto Huntington Ave. I don't think the design is worthy of this prominent spot. I don't this this design is worthy of any spot, really.

But joegenius, what is your real beef with this project? It seems like you're throwing spagetti at the wall. What do you really object to about it?

You are a FUCKING IDIOT. Northeastern has a center dedicated specifically to African Americans (John D O'Bryant Center) and the Latin Americans (The Latino American Center). They have African American frats and sororities, a Latino American dance troupe called Caliente. Go educate your dumbass. You make your fellow supporter look even worse than they already are.

Is this kind of language necessary?

Seriously, tone it down a bit please.

I apologize. His comment however, is outrageous.

While I agree the language isn't necessary...the (possibly) intentionally antagonizing comments made by our resident "genius" aren't called for either. Considering Kent appears to be a Husky, I can understand the extreme frustration when a NIMBY starts to suggest there are racial motivations behind certain decisions made by the university.

To be honest, I haven't been keeping up with this that much. I don't get why there is even a protest at all. Wasn't the Y bankrupt or something to that affect? What are these people trying to save? The empty skeleton of the building?

On a slightly different note, why isn't this taller? It seems like a perfect place for a little bit of height.

The Y will be having 2 meetings for members regarding the proposed demolition of the Huntington Ave. gym for a proposed Northeastern "dorm".

Tuesday, February 7 at 6 P.M.
Wednesday, February 8 at 7:30 P.M.

Savethebostony.com will be having a meeting at Bailis House, 352 mass. Ave, between St. Botolph St and Columbus Ave. on Sunday, February 19 at 4 P.M.

savethebostony.com

Joe -- if you want to save the Y -- give them a bunch of money or find someone to do it -- what you [and you friends are proposing] is an occupyer-type--solution

as Shakespeare wrote [or his "ghost writer'] in Macbeth Act 5, scene 5

Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

While I agree the language isn't necessary...the (possibly) intentionally antagonizing comments made by our resident "genius" aren't called for either. Considering Kent appears to be a Husky, I can understand the extreme frustration when a NIMBY starts to suggest there are racial motivations behind certain decisions made by the university.

To be honest, I haven't been keeping up with this that much. I don't get why there is even a protest at all. Wasn't the Y bankrupt or something to that affect? What are these people trying to save? The empty skeleton of the building?

On a slightly different note, why isn't this taller? It seems like a perfect place for a little bit of height.

NIMBYs already stumped it down -- to used to be called Grandmarc and was substantially taller -- I believe comparable to the BU towers

went back to page two and the proposal was 345 feet and 1000 + beds

here was an early render

Grandmarc_rendering.jpg

From a Globe editorial in 2007 -- posted on this thread --
" Northeastern would rather be the one to do so. "We view the GrandMarc proposal as a potential impediment to the harmony of the existing campus as well as recently approved future development projects," said Daniel Bourque, a university vice president, in a letter to the BRA. Northeastern plans to build a 600-student dorm across St. Botolph Street from the proposed GrandMarc. It had wanted to put a 475-bed dorm on the GrandMarc site, but was turned down by the YMCA.

The BRA can't force the YMCA to sell to any particular builder. But the agency has to recognize that Northeastern, the dominant development force in the area, has worked hard to create good relations with neighbors. The university will be better able to keep students out of mischief if they are in a dorm, instead of GrandMarc or other private housing.
"

Last edited:

511786529.jpg

I am well aware of the variety of programs that N.U. offers in the name of diversity.

N.U. doesn't want the teenage clientele of the basketball courts around.

I attended N.U. and have lived in the neighborhood for 31 of the past 34 years. N.U. claims that this "dorm" will lessen the rental pressure on the surrounding neighborhood.

Do you really think that N.U. will charge less for this "dorm" than for International Village especially in the light of the fact that the building will be operated by Phoenix/Lincoln for 15 years? DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH.

Just wait until St. Botolph St. is totally privatized. When the New England Conservatory builds its new dorms that is exactly what will happen.

N.U. if for diversity as long as it is tuition paying diversity.

This "NIMBY" attended N.U.

There is nothing to stop N.U. from building on Gainsborough Garage and Cullinanae Hall which N.U. already owns.

February 15, 2012, 6 P.M.
YMCA COMMUNITY MEETING
Pursuant to Article 85 of the Boston Zoning Code
YMCA 316 Huntington Ave.
1st. Floor Library

I would be in favor of commercial development. You will note that N.U. paid $30,751 inb PILOT per 4/24/2011 BOSTON GLOBE on the $1.2 Billion of real estate it owns.

No doubt he's losing his pool.

Care to comment on the huge ongoing problem that NU has with 'neighborhood kids' hanging out in the student center and stealing laptops and cell phones?

My first week(1972) at NU a teacher was murdered by a teenager from the Mission Hill projects.

NOMSPY - not on my swimming pool

Last edited:

I attended N.U. and have lived in the neighborhood for 31 of the past 34 years. N.U. claims that this "dorm" will lessen the rental pressure on the surrounding neighborhood.

Do you really think that N.U. will charge less for this "dorm" than for International Village especially in the light of the fact that the building will be operated by Phoenix/Lincoln for 15 years? DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH.

This is where you are confused. The rental pressure it is referring to are the apartments that students are renting out because they are wait listed or rejected. Luckily for you, I am a CURRENT student at Northeastern and know the rates for I had to choose my Fall 2012 dorm this morning and recently rented out an apartment for the Fall 2011 semester. Let me tell you, aside from the less desirable areas (such as Mission Hill), there are literally no differences in prices from living in an off-campus apartment and living in a on-campus dorm, when taking account of cable, electricity, water, heat, and furnishing. The idea is that by being able to house more students on campus, the rental prices for non-NU apartments will drop as less students are forced to live off campus. While other neighboring universities have a near guaranteed housing for upperclassmen, Northeastern does not guarantee housing for any students passed sophomore year and many students end up unable to get a lottery for on-campus housing.

Here's some advice for you fellow Husky. Before you start arguing, try finding out the real purpose.

BTW here are the rates for NEU dorms if anybody is interested.

http://www.northeastern.edu/reslife/info_pages/rates.html

Last semester, I roomed in an apartment with a total of 4 people even though we paid a 3 person rate. The total was $2650/mo and so the real rate per person should be $883(divided by 3 people). Add in cable/internet, electricity, water, and heat and it will go north of $1000. Add in the broker fee (1 month of rent) + furnishing and you basically have the same rate as the more expensive dorms at NEU. Note: this is one of the cheapest and crappiest apartments you can find near campus. My friends next door pay $950/mo.

Back