GrandMarc Residence Hall (YMCA) @ Northeastern U | 291 St. Botolph Street | Fenway

Re: YMCA/ Northeastern Dorm (formerly GrandMarc at St. Botolph)

I am well aware of the variety of programs that N.U. offers in the name of diversity.

N.U. doesn't want the teenage clientele of the basketball courts around.

Are you sure you went to NEU? Because if you did, then you would know many teenage "clienteles" venture through the campus to get to Ruggles which is in the middle of the campus. If they really don't want them, they would have razed the station. Also, have you've even been on campus since you left? At least once a week, I see a school bus load of African American students, most likely from middle school, who visits the university. I do not know what program they are running but they are always led by a NEU official. Now why would they provide such a program if they don't want these teenage clienteles around?

And to add to what KentXie is saying, Northeastern offers more than a busload of services to the Boston community. See for yourself:

http://www.northeastern.edu/communitydirectory/

@joegenius, I think you and many of your friends in the "Save the Y" group misunderstand the truth behind what's taking place. NU expresses no animosity toward "the teenage clientele of the basketball courts", whom I assume use the courts at the Huntington Ave. YMCA. The Huntington Avenue YMCA is several million dollars in debt and, for years, has looked to sell off its gymnasium space to a willing buyer in the pursuit of paying off those debts. This isn't a secret; it's been widely publicized for years now, and I've witnessed their testimonies about this at several community meetings.

I don't know who to feel sorrier for: the YMCA members who must've been misguided for years by their organization with regards to their feasibility to remain open, or the "Save the Y" folks who are wasting their time in denial, passionately defending the organization responsible for this new residence hall to be built in the first place.

This is now ridiculous. These NIMBYs are against the dorm because they fear change. Every other reason is just a mask.

Huntington YMCA members oppose proposed gym, pool facilities
February 16, 2012|By Johanna Kaiser, Town Correspondent, Globe Staff
ShareE-mailPrintBy Johanna Kaiser, Town Correspondent

Opponents of the Huntington Ave. YMCA’s plans to demolish and rebuild its gym and pool as part of a project to erect a Northeastern University dormitory expressed ongoing distrust and frustration with the proposal at a contentious public meeting Wednesday.

“This will only hurt members rather than help them,” Andre Jones, a Y member, said at a meeting to discuss the demolition of the facility’s pool and squash courts and a portion of Bates Hall.

Under the plan the pool and courts would be rebuilt to update the facilities and accommodate the loss of the gym building, which the Y is selling to Phoenix Property Co. The company plans to build a $75 million, 17-story dormitory for Northeastern in its place.

The Y hopes to build modern basketball and handball courts, and lap and therapy pools in the new addition. It would also move the weight room and exercise equipment to the second floor of the main building while the corporate offices housed there now would be moved to the top floor of the new addition along with other renovations.

Many of the Y’s members, residents, and neighbors, who have long opposed the dorm, are now fighting against the new facilities that they say are misguided and do not benefit the members of the urban facility.

“The Y doesn’t think there’s a community in these walls; we know there’s a community in these walls,” said Jones, who like many others at the meeting felt members were not given enough say in the changes made by the YMCA board of directors.

Several meetings about the changes were held and a survey of members priorities were administered before the plan was unveiled.

Y officials said updated recreation facilities and programs are part of a larger effort to bring the 100-year-old building into the 21st century and make the YMCA of Greater Boston more accessible and family friendly.

“You’re not in Needham. ... It’s a drastic mistake,” Jones said, criticizing the decision. Many said the changes would benefit a more suburban, family-centric and less diverse clientele, such as a separate therapy pool for families to use and family locker rooms.

There were practical concerns, too.

The indoor running track would not be replaced and the basketball court, like the current court, would be smaller than the NCAA standard. Others were concerned about the quality of life of Y residents during construction and the number of people who will cancel their memberships while the work was going on. Northeastern has agreed to give Y members access to its Marino Center.

Wendy Zinn, executive director of the YMCA of Greater Boston said the building now is “old, inefficient, and really expensive to operate,” and the changes would allow the Y to use its resources on programming and services instead of maintenance and renovation.

Bill Shaevel, the Y’s attorney for the project, stressed that this project was separate from the GrandMarc dorm, which has already been approved by the city’s redevelopment authority, but noted the demolition and subsequent rebuilding of the courts would not happen if the sale of the gym did not go through.

Opponents have said the Y should have focused on fund-raising to renovate the building instead of selling and demolishing parts.

Shaevel encouraged members to support the addition even if they oppose the dorm, reasoning that if the Northeastern dorm is built, this plan gives members the facilities they lost.

“If that’s a reality, and you’ve got nothing else, and that’s life, then sign off on this,” Shaevel, said.

Still, opponents, who have collected 1,100 signatures from the facility’s 2,700 opposing the dorm and have filed a suit against the building based on zoning issues, saw the project as an afterthought to Northeastern’s plan.

Although the dorm received support from the city as an attempt to keep students from moving off campus into surrounding neighborhoods, Steven Gallanter, a Fenway resident, saw the dorm as a part of a continued encroachment of colleges into neighborhoods as the city allows them to expand.

“It’s patricide. It’s killing your father because he wouldn’t give you a bigger allowance,” Gallanter said after the meeting, referring to the school’s founding in 1898 as a night school at the Y.

The Y must now file its plans with the Boston Landmarks Commission, which will determine if the pool building is historically significant or can be demolished.

http://articles.boston.com/2012-02-..._family-locker-rooms-pool-facilities-courts/2

The Y plans to build a new gym and pool. The NIMBYs complain that it is misguided.

The NIMBYs are complaining that the new basketball court would be smaller than the NCAA court, just like the current existing court. I'm sorry, I didn't know the "teenage clienteles" play in the NCAA DI. Where can NEU give them sports scholarships so that the Huskies can reach the Final Four like they did when Reggie Lewis was here. When I grew up, I didn't have the money to afford a gym membership, I played outdoors on asphalt courts. The sense of entitlement these days are amazing.

Also, NEU expanding is like patricide? This guy is a poet. The location of this dorm is wedge in between the NEU campus and the Matthew Arena and the Boston Conservatory. There is no "neighborhood" that it is encroaching.

And yes you're right, this isn't Needham. Thus you should know that constructions happen and changes happen. Grasping at straws!

Move the project and build over the Ruggles station, make it taller and better looking. Leave the Y as it is.

I think NEU expansion is like an eclair, with ambition as a gooey custard encased in a flaky facade of public conscientiousness and drizzled with the chocolate of inequity. But that's just me.

The alternative to this project is the YMCA closing the branch and selling the building in its entirety. Somehow I doubt the people complaining now would be happier with the complex being converted into luxury condos or annex lab and office space for the LMA. I also find the whole racism & rich vs. poor angle rather contrived. Many of the current YMCA members are suburban office workers from the Prudential Center and local music students from schools which will be constructing their own gym facilities within 5 years, not really a poor demographic. And from the minority angle, Dudley Square recently got a large community facility which offers the same if not better services and facilities than that YMCA. I wouldn't call the Fenway a bastion of minorities and poor people beyond those living in the ample government subsidized housing either. Outside of those aboard the government gravy train, most of that neighborhood's population is students, retirees, and a few professionals.

Move the project and build over the Ruggles station, make it taller and better looking. Leave the Y as it is.

I think a height limit was set when IV was constructed.

Ahem. Dover Amendment.

This is now ridiculous. These NIMBYs are against the dorm because they fear change. Every other reason is just a mask.

http://articles.boston.com/2012-02-..._family-locker-rooms-pool-facilities-courts/2

The Y plans to build a new gym and pool. The NIMBYs complain that it is misguided.

The NIMBYs are complaining that the new basketball court would be smaller than the NCAA court, just like the current existing court. I'm sorry, I didn't know the "teenage clienteles" play in the NCAA DI. Where can NEU give them sports scholarships so that the Huskies can reach the Final Four like they did when Reggie Lewis was here. When I grew up, I didn't have the money to afford a gym membership, I played outdoors on asphalt courts. The sense of entitlement these days are amazing.

Also, NEU expanding is like patricide? This guy is a poet. The location of this dorm is wedge in between the NEU campus and the Matthew Arena and the Boston Conservatory. There is no "neighborhood" that it is encroaching.

And yes you're right, this isn't Needham. Thus you should know that constructions happen and changes happen. Grasping at straws!
The plan for the new pool is totally dependent on the "dorm" being built. This plan was presented at the Y meeting held on 2/7/2012.

The plan for the new pool is totally dependent on the "dorm" being built. This plan was presented at the Y meeting held on 2/7/2012.
I am not a NIMBY and I think that Northeastern should make building on Gainsborough Garage and Cullinane Hall the priority seeing as how they already own these properties.

Seeing as how the NEC is also expanding the impact of at least 800 students, the proposed N.U. "dorm" will bed 720, will encroach upon the residential nature of St. Botolph St.

Northeastern has offered no assurance of capping enrollment. The fees for the new "dorm" will have to be sufficient to cover construction and finance charges and will NOT remove any students from the adjoining neighborhoods.

As soon as students reach middler status they will move into the same places that they always have.

The alternative to this project is the YMCA closing the branch and selling the building in its entirety. Somehow I doubt the people complaining now would be happier with the complex being converted into luxury condos or annex lab and office space for the LMA. I also find the whole racism & rich vs. poor angle rather contrived. Many of the current YMCA members are suburban office workers from the Prudential Center and local music students from schools which will be constructing their own gym facilities within 5 years, not really a poor demographic. And from the minority angle, Dudley Square recently got a large community facility which offers the same if not better services and facilities than that YMCA. I wouldn't call the Fenway a bastion of minorities and poor people beyond those living in the ample government subsidized housing either. Outside of those aboard the government gravy train, most of that neighborhood's population is students, retirees, and a few professionals.
Update your scoreboard. The Fenway had a lot of subsidized housing in the 70's and 80's.

Yes, the Y needs a capital drive. Seeing as how a massive renovation of the Hyde Park branch was completed here in the 21st. Century it can be done.

And to add to what KentXie is saying, Northeastern offers more than a busload of services to the Boston community. See for yourself:

http://www.northeastern.edu/communitydirectory/

@joegenius, I think you and many of your friends in the "Save the Y" group misunderstand the truth behind what's taking place. NU expresses no animosity toward "the teenage clientele of the basketball courts", whom I assume use the courts at the Huntington Ave. YMCA. The Huntington Avenue YMCA is several million dollars in debt and, for years, has looked to sell off its gymnasium space to a willing buyer in the pursuit of paying off those debts. This isn't a secret; it's been widely publicized for years now, and I've witnessed their testimonies about this at several community meetings.

I don't know who to feel sorrier for: the YMCA members who must've been misguided for years by their organization with regards to their feasibility to remain open, or the "Save the Y" folks who are wasting their time in denial, passionately defending the organization responsible for this new residence hall to be built in the first place.
I do not "passionately defend" the Y. Indeed the actions of Kevin Washington have disappointed me greatly. The ineptitude of the Y has been a rude awakening.

However, consider that Northeastern "needs" to grow. N.U. doesn't pay taxes nor does it take market risks as a private business does.

Methinks that there is a substantial chance that the Y will close. Northeastern will be the buyer.

N.U. wishes to have the expansive power of a venture capitalist firm while enjoying the protected status of a non-profit.

Exactly, so why are the NIMBYs complaining about the new pool that will come with the dorm? I'm guessing you guys would rather have nothing than something just so you guys don't see the new dorm go up. Let's see you guys fund raise to keep the Y operational.

I am not a NIMBY and I think that Northeastern should make building on Gainsborough Garage and Cullinane Hall the priority seeing as how they already own these properties.

Seeing as how the NEC is also expanding the impact of at least 800 students, the proposed N.U. "dorm" will bed 720, will encroach upon the residential nature of St. Botolph St.

Northeastern has offered no assurance of capping enrollment. The fees for the new "dorm" will have to be sufficient to cover construction and finance charges and will NOT remove any students from the adjoining neighborhoods.

As soon as students reach middler status they will move into the same places that they always have.
You sir have no idea what you are talking about or know the layout of that area. The residential nature of St. Botolph St. is on the other side of Huntington Ave. not on the side the dorm is being built which is behind the YMCA and not on Huntington Ave. From that area, the adjacent buildings are NEC, the Y, the T tracks, the campus, and Matthews Arena. The other part of the residential area is over the T tracks and into the parking lot at Columbus Ave (which to let you elder Husky know is now part of NEU's South Campus).

As for enrollment, seeing that you most likely attended NEU a decade and half ago, you probably didn't realize that NEU has been shrinking enrollment since the 1990s. During the year I entered, the freshman class has been reduced to 2800. I believe the prior year was double the amount.

And no, the fees do not have to cover constructions. The construction cost can be funded by donations to the school and/or endowment. Also, you should know that construction is a one time cost, BUT dorm fees are received annually. This means that NEU does not have to raise fee dramatically because they are able to make up the cost relatively quickly by renting it out to students all year via Fall, Spring, and Summer semester. Assuming that Phoenix purchased the building $22 million and spend $75 million to construct (I believe the numbers came from an earlier article) and assuming that they sell it for about $120 million, with each bed (seeing that it is most likely enhanced rate) paying $5700 per semester and there are 3 semesters per year, in its first year of operation, NEU will make $12.3 million. It will take approx. 10 years to make up the cost, a relatively short investment.

The only thing they have to worry about is variable cost but that won't be a problem.

Let me know when you come up with legitimate reasons that I can't explain away.

Last edited:

"N.U. wishes to have the expansive power of a venture capitalist firm while enjoying the protected status of a non-profit."

Sounds just like every Community Development Corporation in the city! But they pretend to help poor people, so no one questions their finances. Tax exempt status and government subsidies always produce the best behavior from their beneficiaries.

I also think you grossly overestimate the YMCA's finances and capability of raising sufficient funds to renovate a facility, which is now grossly oversized for its level of membership, to the point of being an extreme financial burden. The YMCA had been planning for over a decade on selling the entire Huntington Avenue branch to pay for a new flagship central branch on the Greenway. When that plan fell through, the money went into the Chinatown and Hyde Park Branches; both of which have growing enrollment compared to the dwindling membership at the Huntington Avenue Branch.

In a few years when NEC and Berklee complete their on campus recreational facilities the Huntington YMCA will lose another significant chunk of its membership. How the heck do you expect the Y to stay open in a facility which is falling apart from deferred maintenance and is bleeding cash and membership? If the Y was a private enterprise they would have closed up shop long ago at this location. You're very fortunate that the YMCA has enough interest to downsize and renovate the existing facility into something sustainable and appropriate to the future level of membership, rather than shuttering the branch in its entirety.

Is this a land grab by NU? Yes it is. Does NU need more land to build more dormitories to meet on campus housing as requested by the community? Yes it does. Does the YMCA need to unload a money pit in exchange for an influx of cash to save a viable size branch at this location? Yep. Do you want students housed on campus? I assume so. So what's the big deal?

Dorms will be eventually built on the other sites you've listed and if enough beds are provided that will allow the city to mandate all students live on campus. If you don't think that will happen, please remember that the university makes a lot of money having students living on campus. It is a massive source of income to have every educational, recreational, medical, nutritional, and shelter need met on site where the university is getting paid instead of a third party. NU isn’t about to shift into diploma mill mode by increasing enrollment after investing millions of dollars into moving up in the academic rankings. The old formulae for more students=more money doesn’t offer as great a return as investing in on campus housing and improving academic quality.

If anything in the current situation you should be more worried about all the local slum lords which are going to be in a panic when there are no longer any college kids left off campus willing pay exorbitant rents for pest infested shit boxes. Will there be a wave of insurance fraud related arsons? Property abandonment? Conversion to SRO rooming houses? What happens to all the local businesses when the students are more insulated and concentrated on a campus which satisfies their needs? What happens if the E line gets cut with a large number of people now concentrated on it without other viable forms of transportation? Does the Orange Line become overloaded? There are a whole host of serious questions which the city Is going to have to resolve once the off campus student housing problem is solved with on campus housing. This isn’t just a NU question, but one of BU, BC, Suffolk, Emerson, et al. A huge part of the Boston housing market is now dependent on students overpaying for relatively low quality housing. What happens when that bubble bursts? Does the middle class move in or does the city, or in this case one neighborhood, pull a Detroit?

I am not a NIMBY and I think

Northeastern has offered no assurance of capping enrollment.

So now you have the right to tell these schools how many students they can have. Unbelievable! And you say your not a nimby!! With out these colleges and universities Boston would be another Holyoke.

So now you have the right to tell these schools how many students they can have. Unbelievable! And you say your not a nimby!! With out these colleges and universities Boston would be another Holyoke.

No, Boston would be another Detroit.

There is also a proposal to cut the size of the freshman class. With freshman retention rates and graduation rates increasing, a smaller freshman class would mean more selectivity, higher freshman stats and further rise in the national rankings. This year's acceptance rate is expected to be 30%! There is absolutely no reason for Northeastern to increase enrolment and it does not plan to do so.

NU has worked for 20 years to raise its academic stature and they plan to maintain it.

There is absolutely no reason for Northeastern to increase enrolment and it does not plan to do so.

But it should be thier choice. I've seen talk of caps show up more frequently with other schools looking to expand and that worries me.

Last edited:

Becuase this is a once in a 100+ year oportunity to buy this property.

They have every right to build here, welcome to America.

Back