GrandMarc Residence Hall (YMCA) @ Northeastern U | 291 St. Botolph Street | Fenway

I don't understand why people would choose to live in a student neighborhood if they don't like students.

Re: NU students are spoiled brats

BostonObserver said:
I like the idea of this building but if this is not the right location how about some suggestions from forum members.

This is the right location. There are fewer residents on this side of Huntington Ave.

Nobody in their right mind would want to live near Northeastern students.

NU grad or not, that's a huge generalization and you know it. Nobody in their right mind would want to live near a percentage of party-loving Northeastern students that is within the standard deviation of the percentage of most colleges' students who like to party loud.

The loudest people in this potential mixed-dorm would be the NEC kids practicing the trumpet.

One point I don't think the neighborhood has thought of is that the new dorm will probably be alcohol free so the nearest 'kegers' will be the student who still rent in the neighborhood

are you kidding? This was one of the first points brought up by the community at the meeting. And you are wrong, it is NOT alcohol free. They will allow alcohol in this building. AND THE COMMUNITY STILL HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT. I don't get it. I'd rather the crazy kids party in a 34 story tower out of earshot of myself.

neighborhood

NU grad or not, that's a huge generalization and you know it. Nobody in their right mind would want to live near a percentage of party-loving Northeastern students that is within the standard deviation of the percentage of most colleges' students who like to party loud.

Yes I admit I was trying to be provocative. BU and BC students are pretty notorious too.

The loudest people in this potential mixed-dorm would be the NEC kids practicing the trumpet.

The developer has said they would consider sound proof practice rooms for music students. Although music students frequently practice where they like the acoustic, this can include hall ways and bathrooms.

are you kidding? This was one of the first points brought up by the community at the meeting. And you are wrong, it is NOT alcohol free. They will allow alcohol in this building. AND THE COMMUNITY STILL HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT. I don't get it. I'd rather the crazy kids party in a 34 story tower out of earshot of myself.

This was not brought up at the first meeting and most of the kids will be underage. I think the West Fens neighborhood would be more incline to accept this is the kids stayed on the other side of Huntington too.

When I was at NU these same people complained about the noise, and light pollution from SOX games. It's like complaining about the weather..the SOX have been playing there for nearly 100 years!

Compared to many other campuses, the NU campus is pretty tame. Half the students are international students and sports @ NU aren't big, so you don't have to worry about thousands piling in to tailgate. Once you see schools like UMASS Amherst, and even more so, schools with big-time 1A sports programs across the country, you realize that Boston schools aren't that fun..I mean noisy.

op/ed in todays Globe

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ed...articles/2007/07/03/sky_high_student_housing/

GLOBE EDITORIAL
Sky-high student housing
July 3, 2007

THE GRANDMARC building proposed for the back half of the YMCA complex on Huntington Avenue would represent an unusual form of housing -- an independent dormitory. Yet it would be too big for the site and perhaps too unconventional for this crowded, student-filled neighborhood. The Boston Redevelopment Authority, which will issue its first formal reaction to the proposal today, should tell the developer to rethink the project.

Phoenix Property Company of Dallas, which leads the development team, has built or is contracting GrandMarc complexes near five other US campuses. They are designed for college and graduate students, but without the rules and supervision of a dormitory.

None of the earlier projects is as big as the one proposed for the site between Huntington Avenue and St. Botolph Street. It would squeeze as many as 1,140 tenants into a 34-story, 245-foot tower on a site limited to a 90-foot height by the city zoning code.

The city has granted an exemption to Northeastern University for a 220-foot tower a few blocks down Huntington Avenue. This is part of a well-designed complex to help transform the university from a commuter school into a residential campus.

Jason Runnels, a Phoenix executive, said GrandMarc is intended to meet the strong demand for off-campus housing in the area. "If it were my children, I'd rather have them living in a professionally managed building for students than a brownstone that is not managed," he said in an interview.

There's much to be said for getting students into housing designed for them. But the BRA needs to ask: Who should build it?

Northeastern would rather be the one to do so. "We view the GrandMarc proposal as a potential impediment to the harmony of the existing campus as well as recently approved future development projects," said Daniel Bourque, a university vice president, in a letter to the BRA. Northeastern plans to build a 600-student dorm across St. Botolph Street from the proposed GrandMarc. It had wanted to put a 475-bed dorm on the GrandMarc site, but was turned down by the YMCA.

The BRA can't force the YMCA to sell to any particular builder. But the agency has to recognize that Northeastern, the dominant development force in the area, has worked hard to create good relations with neighbors. The university will be better able to keep students out of mischief if they are in a dorm, instead of GrandMarc or other private housing.

Runnels resisted the idea of downsizing the project. "We have a land price that needs to be justified," he said, but wouldn't reveal it. The BRA comments today will continue a long process of neighborhood reaction and governmental review. GrandMarc has to get smaller. And if the project becomes uneconomical, Northeastern and perhaps other campuses in the area will surely fill the housing gap.

And if the project becomes uneconomical, Northeastern and perhaps other campuses in the area will surely fill the housing gap.

The track record of universities trying to build additional dorms without causing a firestorm of neighborhood resistance in Boston is pretty dismal so this last sentence is pretty damn unrealistic. Plus, I would imagine that the GrandMarc would, I imagine, pay property taxes to the city of Boston where university/college dorms would not. This fact alone is a huge plus for the city and I would think that the city would support this sort of private development.

And on top of that, is NU going to build dorms for Emerson? No? How about NESL? No? What about all the other schools downtown that can't afford the land to build dorms and so all the students live down along the Orange Line?

I wish I were in Boston so I could go to the meeting and ensure this gets built. It's great for all the other reasons (it'll pay taxes, it's no where near as tall as the Pru and is nearly the same height as the other dorm NU is building). It's certainly a good 'deal' for someone who can't live in a college's non-existent dorms and doesn't want to pay sky-high rents for a flophouse.

I don't like it. I think it takes something very functional and institutionalized, where you can get to know buddies from your school and you have recourse if you have problems with roommates and there are RA's and campus police around to keep things from getting out of control, and puts it out into the wild. I think colleges generally do an excellent job of building and maintaining dormitories with a mission and purpose (housing kids while also keeping them from getting ridiculously out of control), and this sort of developer will have little interest in doing that. Plus, I'm sure the discipline if someone does get caught doing something against prescribed rules is much tougher and less reasonable. Granted, I've stayed at dorms with friends and I know that I'm going to hate these same RAs and campus police, but while they might cause me some problems I still recognize their necessity. And I'm sure there will be nights when I'll be stumbling around and need help, and it's nice to know you have the backing of an institution and that there will be help available (not just rent-a-cops).

^ Most of the students that would wind up living in this building aren't currently dorm-housed, but live in nearby apartments, already divorced from university oversight.

DudeUrSistersHot said:
I don't like it. I think it takes something very functional and institutionalized, where you can get to know buddies from your school and you have recourse if you have problems with roommates and there are RA's and campus police around to keep things from getting out of control, and puts it out into the wild. I think colleges generally do an excellent job of building and maintaining dormitories with a mission and purpose (housing kids while also keeping them from getting ridiculously out of control), and this sort of developer will have little interest in doing that. Plus, I'm sure the discipline if someone does get caught doing something against prescribed rules is much tougher and less reasonable. Granted, I've stayed at dorms with friends and I know that I'm going to hate these same RAs and campus police, but while they might cause me some problems I still recognize their necessity. And I'm sure there will be nights when I'll be stumbling around and need help, and it's nice to know you have the backing of an institution and that there will be help available (not just rent-a-cops).

Where do you come up with this stuff? What does the institution have to do with anything?

This line of reasoning should go out the window after about a semester at Bentley. Though I had a blast living in the dorms, it had nothing to do with the Institution that is Boston University and everything to do with the people living on my floor.

Be warned: if you are found by the institution's agents (RA's) stumbling around, you will no longer be welcome by the institution on its property at any college - BU BC NEU MIT Bentley Babson

I think college residence halls are the opposite of what you may think. I believe you are trying to say that the punishments would be tougher at a college dorm than at this mixed-use facility due to the rent-a-cops, right?

Dead wrong. I was an RA at NU, and I have talked to my roommate, a part of NUPD.

Being technically a leased property of Northeastern, the Northeastern police would be required to patrol the building. Not only that, but being a private residence, it would be under the eye of the BOSTON POLICE DEPARTMENT.

You get caught underage drinking at a NU dorm, 9 times out of 10 the kid doesn't even get in trouble. Try that with BPD. I wouldn't want to. Sure, they might have better things to do, but I'd still not want to test it.

Re: GrandMarc at St. Botolph

Builder scales back Boston rent-a-dorm tower

A national dorm developer with hopes of building the Hub?s first privately owned student tower has slashed the project?s height in a bid to win City Hall?s approval.

Phoenix Property Co. will file revised plans today with City Hall to demolish the rear of the landmark YMCA building on Huntington Ave. next to Northeastern University and replace it with a 24-story dorm tower.

The new proposal is 10 stories shorter than the original 34-story plan and about 30 percent smaller overall, executives said. Instead of housing more than 1,100 students, the revamped proposal calls for just under 800 students.

The downsizing comes after opposition from some neighborhood residents to the prospect of such a large concentration of students in a single building. City officials had also expressed concerns.

?We have heard what the BRA (Boston Redevelopment Authority), the mayor and the neighbors have said,? said John Cappellano, a senior vice president at Lincoln Property Co., a partner with Phoenix on the project.

The new GrandMarc at St. Botolph Street is being backed by the YMCA of Greater Boston. The Y will use money earned from the sale of part of the rear wing of its Huntington Avenue property to renovate the main building. There are also plans to revamp the Hyde Park and West Roxbury Ys.

Phoenix and its partners are now pushing to win approval from City Hall over the next few months, with plans to open in time for the fall 2011 semester.

If approved, the project would be the first privately owned and operated dorm tower in Boston. Phoenix plans to lease large blocks of rooms to nearby Fenway colleges, such as Simmons, Wentworth and Berklee.

In order to allay neighorhood fears about an infusion of more student, the developers have also drawn up elaborate security plans, hired a private security contractor and agreed to pay for an extra police detail to patrol the area.

But the project still faces skepticism from some in the neighborhood. Carl Koechlin, head of the Fenway Community Development Corp., said he?d like to see a project that stays within local zoning rules - or roughly seven to nine stories.

?Their changes are not enough,? Koechlin said.

http://bostonherald.com/business/re...ton_rent-a-dorm_tower/srvc=home&position=also

yeah, no surprise here. thats a new shorter rendering in the article. looks slightly improved but still very boring and the shorter wing to the left of the rendering is pretty awful.

What a stunning building...not. I like BU's better.

^^ One thing is certain about this project: it'll provide one hell of a view for students facing east! As long as the YMCA stays there, those students facing east will have uninterrupted views of Boston's dense skyline--namely the Prudential Center and all nearby hotels and office towers, and of course a relatively good view of the Christian Science Museum's reflection pond for the students on the higher floors. The city should be excited about this project, especially because it addresses the need for living space for Boston's college students.

BECAUSE I'M THE EMPEROR OF BOSTON, THAT'S WHY!

Menino: Private Dorm ?Not A Viable Project?

By Thomas Grillo
Banker & Tradesman

Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino has put the kibosh on a 24-story tower in the Fenway that would have been the city?s first private student dormitory.

?It?s not a viable project anymore,? Menino told Banker & Tradesman Tuesday. ?I still don?t know who will be in charge of a building that would have students from six different universities.?

The mayor?s comments are the latest salvo in a controversial saga to build student housing behind the YMCA on Huntington Avenue. Last year, Lincoln Property Co. and the Phoenix Property Co. proposed GrandMarc, a 34-story dorm that would have featured 1,140 beds. Following intense opposition, the Texas-based developers downsized the 470,000-square-foot plan to 24 stories and 796 beds, hoping to win neighborhood and City Hall support.

But the revised plan has failed to convince opponents. In August, Menino said the building should be no taller than 10 stories and 200 beds.

Jason P. Runnels, Phoenix?s executive vice president, said he is ?befuddled? by the mayor?s latest comments.

?We?ve done everything we?ve been asked to do and took lots of direction from the city,? he said. ?We would have never worked on a project that large if all along the mayor thought it should be 10 stories.?

Runnels is ?rethinking? the project and could propose classroom or office space as an alternative at the site, he added.

Back