GrandMarc Residence Hall (YMCA) @ Northeastern U | 291 St. Botolph Street | Fenway

Re: YMCA/ Northeastern Dorm (formerly GrandMarc at St. Botolph)

...100% correct. I can't believe I forgot about that.

Well, that's a better way to explain it.

sidewalks, I believe you mean Phoenix Property. And to bring things full circle the project's name is back to being called the GrandMarc. (when did this happen?)

And thank goodness it's kind of tucked away and not too visible from up and down Huntington because this facade is as bottom-barrel as anything we've gotten lately.

You're correct...that said, Phoenix is a subsidiary of Lincoln.

At least the color isn't drab. I suppose it has the virtue of being not quite as ugly as International Village.

Why couldn't they build another 440 Huntington?
That is a great question. After the success and aesthetic appeal of the West Village complex, one would think that Northeastern would shell out a little more money for that level of quality everywhere...

Not to make excuses for my school, but it is also a very constrained site back there, so I can't see the massing much different. Either way, it certainly could have been done better.

GW, to answer your question a little bit, it looks like we will be getting that quality with developments down the road.

In case it's unclear, the YMCA dorm project isn't being developed by Northeastern; in fact, Northeastern doesn't own the building (***yet). Lincoln Phoenix is the developer for the site and they've negotiated a 30-year lease with Northeastern to be the exclusive user of the building. This is different from West Village, which was both owned and developed by Northeastern, so the university had more control over what was put on the site.

*should've hit refresh button sooner, LOL.

That is a great question. After the success and aesthetic appeal of the West Village complex, one would think that Northeastern would shell out a little more money for that level of quality everywhere...

Not to make excuses for my school, but it is also a very constrained site back there, so I can't see the massing much different. Either way, it certainly could have been done better.

GW, to answer your question a little bit, it looks like we will be getting that quality with developments down the road.

Good news! (It's my alma matter as well.) I've always loved the approach to 440, coming from the Fens alongside the MFA, especially with the new wing.

Northeastern didn't pay more to upgrade the aesthetic because it isn't owned by Northeastern. This is a private firm affiliated with Lincoln Property.

*Splutter* Then which foul villain canst I rage against?

On a more serious note - and not to be disputatious - does that mean Northeastern had no say in the design/materials? I have no idea how these things typically work.

And thank goodness it's kind of tucked away and not too visible from up and down Huntington because this facade is as bottom-barrel as anything we've gotten lately.

If this is bottom of the barrel, then Waterside Place and The Kensington are under the barrel.

Thus far it's not as bad as WP, but I think it equals the Kensington in crappiness, and may even best it thanks to this puke orange color. Extra points deducted for the braindead 'randomized facade' elements.

It's a pity about the facade color and "randomization", because I think the small details and flourishes in the precast would look rather stately otherwise.

If these were a nicer tan, or better emulated the YMCA building in front of it... I think it'd look nice. Not perfect, but nice.

The facade looks like cardboard.

Good news! (It's my alma matter as well.) I've always loved the approach to 440, coming from the Fens alongside the MFA, especially with the new wing.

*Splutter* Then which foul villain canst I rage against?

On a more serious note - and not to be disputatious - does that mean Northeastern had no say in the design/materials? I have no idea how these things typically work.

The YMCA is a MA Historical Commission site. The BRA was able to circumvent the MA Historical Commission when Northeaster paid a $600K settelement to the ill-chosen plaintiffs for savethebostony.com's suit against the BRA and Lincoln.

The BRA is a Confederate organization.

The YMCA is a MA Historical Commission site. The BRA was able to circumvent the MA Historical Commission when Northeaster paid a $600K settelement to the ill-chosen plaintiffs for savethebostony.com's suit against the BRA and Lincoln.

The BRA is a Confederate organization.

It's good to know the race-baiting group savethebostony lost. Their attempt to take advantage of minorities by claiming to fight for the Y-sponsored programs for them when the Y couldn't afford to keep those programs afloat without selling the property and accusing NEU for not caring about Blacks and Hispanics to benefit only themselves was utterly despicable. Also, the YMCA is not a MA Historical Commission site as the Landmark Commission overwhelming voted it down 8-0, and the only demolished portion was the gym facility which wasn't part of the original and "historical" front.

Last edited:

I'm digging the streetwall:

sJdLUDq.jpg

NeU may not own it but they are making best friends with it ... didn't I just read they're having a "naming" contest for "our new dorm"!

^Yeah, there's a contest going on. Something tells me it's a bit of a sham, but it'd be a cool way for a student/alumnus to leave an imprint on the school.

It's a sham, don't expect anything to come of it. They had a "naming contest" for the new visitor center at NU, and when I solicited very hard for the admissions staff to call it "The Lighthouse" (long story, don't ask), they told me the point of that naming contest was to lure interest into the opening and get students excited... that they had 0 intention of actually crowning a winner.

Mark my words that building will either be known as "GrandMarc", "East Village", or whomever donates $5-$10 million to name the thing.

I'm guessing the "Dukakis". Or maybe named after that kid who made the 'Northeastern State of Mind' video?

They have yet to name a building for former President Freeland, but I feel any building with his name on it would have to be in West Village.

Back