GrandMarc Residence Hall (YMCA) @ Northeastern U | 291 St. Botolph Street | Fenway

^ They're paying to provide support to a favored institution. The building name is a perk.

If anyone's curious, I heard from a friend that 3-4 person units in East Village are being offered to students for $6025/semester per room (starting January). Not sure how that compares to current NU housing costs.

IMAG0268.jpg

[/IMG]

The cruelest part of this building is that they did an absolutely great job on this skinny 4 story glass section. "We could have built it like this."

The cruelest part of this building is that they did an absolutely great job on this skinny 4 story glass section. "We could have built it like this."

Agreed. I also wish they did more with the landscaping/area right in front of the building. I walk by here quite frequently and really wish they had done something similar to the new MassArt dorm with grass and benches out from. That road basically dead ends not too far past the dorm anyways.

This building is officially open to students. As I said previously, I work part time in the mail room at NU so I get to go into most of the dorms occasionally. Here are a few crappy pics of the inside. I was in a rush so I didn't have time to take as many as I wanted, but I'm sure I will be able to get more later in the semester.

Lobby:
IMAG0329.jpg

Outside mailroom:
IMAG0328.jpg

Inside mailroom (what you all came here for, admit it!):
IMAG0327.jpg

^Thanks for posting kafox! You refreshed my memory towards uploading my own photos. I got to enter the building a few days early for an RA event. Poor Reslife staff in that building had to prep that whole building in 2 days as opposed to over a week.

Anyways...
The interior finishes are great. Much higher quality than my current hall. And the views are spectacular.

Classroom:

Student Lobby/Lounge:

Lots of bike storage!

Views:

Hallway:

Ballroom (holy crap)

I was rushed in and out of the dorm rooms quickly so no time for pictures. They were pretty nice. The terrible exterior is not indicative of the interior by any means.

Oh joy, I've been looking for a Bar Mitzvah venue!

Seriously, that ballroom exceeded my wildest expectations! I really hope I can get a tour there soon.

can some one please stop letting colleges and hotels buy hideous carpeting. please. i beg you.

Perhaps I've missed a comment on this, but does anyone know what's up with the cornice on the Y? I don't have a picture, but about three-quarters of the cornice on the Huntington Ave. facade has disappeared and been replaced with a sort of angled box. I haven't had a chance to look very carefully, but it looks as if it might be temporary, especially since they left part of the original cornice in place.

That said, the Y now says that the renovation is complete. If this is the final product, the cornice looks terrible, even if the rest of the renovation came out well.

Perhaps I've missed a comment on this, but does anyone know what's up with the cornice on the Y? I don't have a picture, but about three-quarters of the cornice on the Huntington Ave. facade has disappeared and been replaced with a sort of angled box. I haven't had a chance to look very carefully, but it looks as if it might be temporary, especially since they left part of the original cornice in place.

That said, the Y now says that the renovation is complete. If this is the final product, the cornice looks terrible, even if the rest of the renovation came out well.

I am wondering too. The old cornice was crumbling and was a safety hazard.

From Northeastern's PR site:

http://www.northeastern.edu/news/2015/01/east-village-fun-facts/

• East Village is the first building on campus featuring Destination Dispatch elevators. Here’s how they work: Once passengers arrive at an elevator bay, they type in the floor they want to go to and are then directed to the elevator that will get them there the quickest. There are no buttons inside the elevators. The destinations are pre-​​programed based on what the passengers input in the elevator bays.

• The new building is also the first residence hall at Northeastern with inoperable windows, which is an important part of receiving LEED certification.

2,900 – the number of pieces of steel used during construction

OK so the interior and the views are nice; no surprise there. But good lord is this thing ugly on the outside. At least with the Kensington it's buried in that cluster of buildings and has a halfway decent ground floor (excepting Lagrange, which I've resigned myself to accepting its fate as an alley).

But this thing... it's visible from all over Fenway, Huntington and the renewal ravaged parts of the South End, and it always makes me go ewwwwwww. That precast is the absolute worst.

15921547313_21b3735007_b.jpg

And I agree re: the YMCA's cornice. That thing there looks like the box a real cornice is supposed to come in.

16355463109_4001772e50_b.jpg

KZ, agreed this building isnt the greatest but that first pic of yours does make it look somewhat respectable. Nice shot. Thanks for the picture updates, this place has been dead lately

"And I agree re: the YMCA's cornice. That thing there looks like the box a real cornice is supposed to come in"

Are you sure that the new YMCA cornice is not hidden under that box, say for a grand unveiling?

Other worldly picture of the Northeastern campus with East Village rising above the mist.

https://flic.kr/p/rFwL9D

It appears that Northeastern rebuilt the cornice on Hastings Hall, which it owns, while the Y put up a "temporary" cornice.

Back