Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Does the East Somerville station not require pedestrians to cross the tracks?
Interesting, yes, it does appear to involve a pedestrian track crossing. I must have had in mind the original station designs that were more substantial.

I will say that I don't think there should be pedestrian track crossing for dedicated ROW and certainly don't think we'd see it for an elevated station as suggested up thread.

East Somerville indeed requires that track crossing; Ball Square also has a track crossing for one of its two entrances. Both are unacceptable in my opinion, though at least they're crossing the inbound track at the inbound end, where trains will be at low speed since they're just starting from the stop. When ridership requires three-minute headways (C and D through-routed to Medford/Tufts) - which my thesis analysis indicated would be very soon after opening - those grade crossings are going to be a bigger problem. I suspect that before too long, we'll see a grade-separated entrance at the outbound end of East Somerville, with the original entrance becoming a secondary entrance only for the path.

The Brattle loop in the Gov't. Center station also requires pedestrians to cross the track. Of course that's an old station.

Both are unacceptable in my opinion

I completely disagree. Grade crossings at 2-tracked light rail stations are 200% fine.

The phobia concerning them is one reason why transit construction costs around the country are so ridiculously high. You also artificially limit access creating longer walks for transit commuters, and every minute counts. People are lazy!

I completely disagree. Grade crossings at 2-tracked light rail stations are 200% fine.

The phobia concerning them is one reason why transit construction costs around the country are so ridiculously high. You also artificially limit access creating longer walks for transit commuters, and every minute counts. People are lazy!
I don't think this is actually a primary driver of cost bloat because vertical circulation isn't itself expensive when done in a competent manner (even for the T, South Acton at 9M with 2 elevators vs Chelsea at 20m with 0). In this scenario, where you have a fully grade-separated LRT system that will likely be operating at very high frequencies (min of 2 branches), adding a 3mph or whatever speed limit causes harms operationally. In terms of station changes that induce cost bloat, mezzanines are a much larger problem and surface LRT doesn't suffer from this in either scenario.

Just kidding. I was looking at the street view at the building in the pic looks like the one on the north side. I guess they're both just that ugly.
Nope. You were correct. This is the back alley entrance to the E Somerville station. The picture was taken behind Cataldo on the south side of Washington.

I took the photograph from here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/YhNg5Cvxk5aZJwgH9

It sure as hell doesn't look like they are going to remove those "secondary abutments" under the Washington St bridge. They have 5 more days to button this up and they are still standing and looks like they are prepping pavement of the sidewalks. See second photo: are they really going to leave half of the wall under the bridge as the old abutment and half of it as concrete? Wtf?

PANO_20200526_193132.vr.jpg

MVIMG_20200526_193351.jpg

I don't think this is actually a primary driver of cost bloat because vertical circulation isn't itself expensive when done in a competent manner (even for the T, South Acton at 9M with 2 elevators vs Chelsea at 20m with 0). In this scenario, where you have a fully grade-separated LRT system that will likely be operating at very high frequencies (min of 2 branches), adding a 3mph or whatever speed limit causes harms operationally. In terms of station changes that induce cost bloat, mezzanines are a much larger problem and surface LRT doesn't suffer from this in either scenario.

Every train will stop at every stop. There is really no operational reason to prohibit grade crossing. The safety risk is less than minimal. There's just this mantra that grade crossings must always be avoided.

Tangentially related. I happened to be looking at a random, tiny, commuter rail station in NJ with low platforms and two tracks. It has a pedestrian underpass. Turns out, it was 1930's stimulus bloat! So it's not a new phenomenon.

Every train will stop at every stop. There is really no operational reason to prohibit grade crossing. The safety risk is less than minimal. There's just this mantra that grade crossings must always be avoided.
LRT deceleration is much faster than those limits - look at speed of approach to Park St on the track with grade crossings versus, say, Symphony. For CR it's obviously not bloat to avoid ped crossings? But it's unclear if any design decision of near-grade elevated stations without mezzanines is actually bloat, because in normal construction regimes they're cheap

Tangentially related. I happened to be looking at a random, tiny, commuter rail station in NJ with low platforms and two tracks. It has a pedestrian underpass. Turns out, it was 1930's stimulus bloat! So it's not a new phenomenon.

"Operational reasons" have nothing to do with it. It's entirely a legal matter. Massachusetts has the toughest state-level accessibility regs in the nation, and that was by Legislative fiat 15 years ago to toughen the Mass Architectural Board's oversight. The T has no say in any of this. Operational demerits don't matter. The M.A.B. follows the strictest above-and-beyond accessibility standards, and tends to rule on the severe end for upholding them when waivering or loopholage is brought up. The only way to adjust the regs if they're out-of-balance is through subsequent Legislative action, with the caveat that the SJC is likely to strike down any loosening done transparently for shortcutting's sake because there's now 15 years of affirmed legal precedent. If there's something inherently over-draconian and unfair (i.e. inhibits aggregate accessibility via too high/perfect a target for building in some exceptional cases) that's one legit cause for corrective Legislation. But if it's simply running through a bill to means-to-end loosen for making the state's budgeting life easier...the SJC is going to tell them to pound sand. MassDOT ultra- slow-walking the budgeting for accessibility isn't legally going to pass muster. So right then and there the 'practicality' argument is sidelined and relegated to a bunch of alternate universe what-ifs. We can't what-if the M.A.B.; it is what it is.

Now, since LRT is the biggest 'superset' of all modes in running conditions it's already been established that there's no legally possible one-size-fits-all policy because "rules of the road" auto-preempt in any mixed-traffic situation (incl. any dedicated ROW's that have individual street grade crossings, like Mattapan or would-be's like a Needham Branch off the D). And indeed on GLX there are new-construction track crossings...which shocks me because I thought the M.A.B. would be going unilaterally severe on that for prepayment stations, but apparently not. So clearly there is more than one-size-fits-all leeway being applied at the top level and the what-if's are already more nuanced and thus we can't be debating this as if it truly is all-or-nothing. I'd like to know more about how they ruled the way they did because it can inform future projects, but it's clear some forms of LRT station track crossings are indeed A-OK for the toughest accessibility regs in the country so that much is settled.

Now, in terms of whether there should be more track crossings on GLX as a cost saver...I dunno, the evidence really isn't there for that. These are nearly all pit or embankment stations, relatively high percentage of island platforms for fitting in the pit or on the embankment, and Community Path is way up high above the pit where it co-runs so the side access isn't applicable in most cases. Configuration-wise you're not doing most of these stations as anything other than physical vertical-access, with no consequential cost-saving potential for additional track crossings. But it also needs to be duly noted that where this project was audited for lethal cost blowouts, state-level accessibility regs had almost nothing to do with where costs were sailing. Contractor corruption and all-world wretched project management oversight were the main culprits. The rebooted design, even where it shrunk down some of the station excess, really didn't change the baseline accessibility because the up/down physical access was what it was. The redesign required zero change requests to the M.A.B.

Systemwide I don't think you can point to too many troubled projects where accessibility got fingered as the main reason for a cost blowout. For example, the violently rejected plan for ADA'ing Waverley Station on the Fitchburg Line--with its farcial eleventy switchback ramps into the sky--was literally a combo of the state trying to sandbag closure of Belmont+Waverley in favor of a midpoint-combo parking sink station on Route 60, plus hiring the most incompetent design vendor imaginable who misread the linear project limits so badly that they went all-in on the absolute worst possible design. It ended predictably: state getting shamed into copping to the tankapalooza, and the design vendor getting fired. While the lack of further action is a different sort of bureaucratic problem, adherence to the M.A.B. had nothing to do with such a pants-on-head stoopid design being pursued in the first place as there were literally a half-dozen cheaper/lower-profile and arguably less self-mockery means of achieving same rote accessibility. Similarly, the absolute tortured process with Winchester Ctr. Station rebuild has little to do with accessibility (only mild re-grading of the existing ramps required to square up/down access) and rather lax project management continuing to uncover more structural deficiencies with the viaduct very late into the game coupled with needy community input (where too much additional community input has been needed because they keep having to go to the well). The lessons with those are much simpler: "Tighten your project mgt. the fuck up". The potential for above-and-beyond accessibility touches turning into actual source of blowouts largely hasn't manifested itself.

So it's not like the T--which would have to direct-lobby the Legislature to have any choice on the matter in the first place (which I'm pretty sure the charter places limits on)--has evidence to point to that the M.A.B.'s onerous accessibility interpretations are bleeding them dry. Their bosses not honestly funding a comprehensive accessibility closeout like they mean it is the problem. Rampant self-owns on project management oversight is the problem. But the regs themselves? It's tracking more like fixed-cost of doing business than any major exploit waiting to upend them, so the potential for that being an inefficiency has to be duly graded on a steep curve. It's not paralyzing them at all. Shit, they're year-in/year-out lapping the MTA in pace of new accessibility projects and New York doesn't have anything close to the M.A.B.'s toothiness above fed regs, so the national evidence for MA's toughest-in-nation regs tying one hand behind back is also severely lacking.

Last edited:
LRT deceleration is much faster than those limits - look at speed of approach to Park St on the track with grade crossings versus, say, Symphony. For CR it's obviously not bloat to avoid ped crossings? But it's unclear if any design decision of near-grade elevated stations without mezzanines is actually bloat, because in normal construction regimes they're cheap

These are the main reasons why CR is held to a more rigid standard:

• Common carriers. Freights and Amtrak co-use nearly all lines on the system, running their own 'foreign' schedules. No assumptions like with a closed rapid transit system that every headlight you see in the distance is going to be obeying the same stop schedule, or even running the same agency crews where an internal bulletin that there's a 5K road race happening on X town's path crossing this Saturday is necessarily going to be circulated to every crew from every company who's scheduled to run the line that day.

• Bi-directional signaling. Operationally there is no "inbound" or "outbound" track on CR. Trains can move at any speed on any track at any time, so no pedestrian can autopilot their timing across a grade crossing when the bells/lights go off. As one practical example, Middleboro Line on the weekday off-peak usually defaults to single-track ops through Montello + Brockton, running bi-directional on the 'northbound' track when frequencies are lax enough. This is so CSX has a flexi-slot to finish up serving the 2 recycling center customers in Brockton the next day if they happen to run out of crew hours on their normal midnight-to-4:00am slot (they take Sat./Sun. night off, so the Mon. overnight is usually overloaded making them often have to come back for a quick noon-hour scoot through Downtown to mop up). In contrast, rapid transit is strictly unidirectionally signaled in all regular practice. If you ever have single-tracking ops between crossovers for trackwork, there will be staff flaggers and warning signage set up at any/all track crossings telling peds to look out for "wrong-rail" running. On RR you always have to expect that, because there's no such thing as "wrong-rail" running.

• Varied schedules. While technically you can run limited skip-stop express patterns on LRT, it's a rarity nationally on that mode because they make the most hay on all-stops ridership and usually that's the only way to traffic-manage. Nearly every passenger RR, however, has some form of expresses or alt-routes on its schedule that are not necessarily going to stop at every station. Haverhill-Wildcat expresses blow past all the Lowell Line intermediates except Anderson, and there's always been sharp dilineation between the Worcester schedules that hit the Newton stops vs. the ones that express to 128. Ditto Braintree Station where Plymouth Line is stopping but all except a few midday one-offs on Middleboro are blowing right thru at full speed. It's impossible to assume that because you see a Purple Line train coming that you can lollygag it across the track crossing that's within final platforming stop distance. Whereas all those Emerald Necklace joggers crossing the D at Longwood know (but still should be looking both ways) that every D inbound is going to be slowing to a stop on (as above) the inbound-only track. There probably isn't a single commuter rail line where you can make that assumption across the full 100% of the day's schedule, and the majority where it's a mixed schedule bag is overwhelming so the regs have to hedge with the majority.

• Stopping distance. Most obvious one. Line-of-sight spotting of a pedestrian in a crossing won't guarantee enough stopping distance on a RR train even if the engineer catches it within the reference sightlines for the crossing. A trolley most certainly does have the stopping distance within reference line-of-sight, as well as having the nimbleness to auto- slow up at an official track crossing and easily recover acceleration at no loss to schedule Margin of Error. That's pure Laws of Physics. Road grade crossings are enough of a problem with inattentive drivers, but that's rules-of-road and not the RR's problem. There's no federal 'ban' on new road crossings nor any legal mandate to get rid of them unless you intend to run Class 7/125 MPH track that presently only exists on the NEC. But it does mean the M.A.B. has decided on all post-2004 construction that risk must be mitigated within station structures (i.e. strictly platform-to-platform ped crossings but NOT rules-of-road crossings like the abutting road or driveway if that's the primary means of changing platforms).

It sure as hell doesn't look like they are going to remove those "secondary abutments" under the Washington St bridge. They have 5 more days to button this up and they are still standing and looks like they are prepping pavement of the sidewalks. See second photo: are they really going to leave half of the wall under the bridge as the old abutment and half of it as concrete? Wtf?
Perhaps the underpass will re-open this weekend before everything is totally "buttoned up?"

They could 1) open the underpass area between the two "secondary abutments" this weekend; 2) proceed with excavation and roadway work outside of the the "secondary abutments" after the underpass is opened, with the "secondary abutments" providing a natural barrier between open and construction areas; then 3) take down the "secondary abutments" in the future (which would likely only require a temporary sidewalk closure) thus opening up the entire width between the new abutments.

What reads as sidewalk now (between roadway and secondary abutment) could become separated bikeway, and what reads as out-of-roadway (between secondary and new abutment) could become sidewalk.

I don't have any inside knowledge of construction phasing here, I'm just speculating.

Last edited:
Perhaps the underpass will re-open this weekend before everything is totally "buttoned up?"

They could 1) open the underpass area between the two "secondary abutments" this weekend; 2) proceed with excavation and roadway work outside of the the "secondary abutments" after the underpass is opened, with the "secondary abutments" providing a natural barrier between open and construction areas; then 3) take down the "secondary abutments" in the future (which would likely only require a temporary sidewalk closure) thus opening up the entire width between the new abutments.

What reads as sidewalk now (between roadway and secondary abutment) could become separated bikeway, and what reads as out-of-roadway (between secondary and new abutment) could become sidewalk.

I don't have any inside knowledge of construction phasing here, I'm just speculating.

I believe the plan is for the existing abutment to the south to remain as it is. It was already cut down in height and will now act as a retaining wall between the sidewalk/bikeway and the slope to the new abutment.

GLX site isn't publishing any plans for the bridges themselves. But Washington St. is definitely not done. That was one that was supposed to be shut...then reopened for winter...then shut for summer before COVID rejiggering lumped the schedule together. The 5 months earlier perma-reopen comes with caveats of lots of ad-hoc traffic conings & lane squeezes for continued work, and days where only one sidewalk will be open because they're working the other side.

Now, in terms of whether there should be more track crossings on GLX as a cost saver...I dunno, the evidence really isn't there for that. These are nearly all pit or embankment stations, relatively high percentage of island platforms for fitting in the pit or on the embankment, and Community Path is way up high above the pit

I agree that it is of limited use for this project because it runs next to a grade separated commuter rail line. The exception would be the East Somerville station, linked above, which has one grade crossing. The second grade crossing is labeled "emergency access only" when theres really no reason it shouldn't be a useful access point to the community path.

GLX site isn't publishing any plans for the bridges themselves. But Washington St. is definitely not done. That was one that was supposed to be shut...then reopened for winter...then shut for summer before COVID rejiggering lumped the schedule together. The 5 months earlier perma-reopen comes with caveats of lots of ad-hoc traffic conings & lane squeezes for continued work, and days where only one sidewalk will be open because they're working the other side.
the schedule was lumped together long before COVID.
Both secondary abutments look permanent to me.
I'd imagine nothing will change with them till the lowering McGrath project takes place.

Looks like the T is using rented Academy Express buses for the Lechmere shuttles. I didn't know Academy had a stock of transit buses. I only know them for their inter-city buses.

You want an example of why at-grade track crossings on CR are a bad idea, I was standing close to the edge of the high-level platform at Mansfield inbound a year ago around sunset, and looking at what I thought was my train's headlight coming from a looooong way down the straightaway. I'd say it was less than 5 seconds from "oh, looks like it's not stopping" to "oh shit it's--" VROOOOOOMzingzingzingzingzingzingVROOOOOOM "an Acela doing a hundred fifty. Holy FUCK." Something that big, going that fast, that close to you is pretty darned scary. But, if I'd been crossing the tracks assuming it was my CR train that was going to stop, it'd have been a lot more scary, albeit briefly.

Looks like the T is using rented Academy Express buses for the Lechmere shuttles. I didn't know Academy had a stock of transit buses. I only know them for their inter-city buses.
I think the T used Academy for shuttle operations in Quincy during the Wollaston Station rebuild. At least some of the shuttle buses I rode on were inter-city types, not transit vehicles.

Back