Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Thanks for that video. It confirms my concern that 10 feet (walled on both sides) is extremely narrow for a shared-use path. It is probably comfortable for an exclusive bike path, but the 8 foot lane in the video would be almost impassable to a cyclist if there were pedestrians doing anything other than walking single file, completely to the right. Two additional feet is not much relief at all. Imagine a dog on even a short leash or a parent holding their child's hand. There will be crashes. Anyone and everyone can see this disaster coming, but they built it like this anyway.

Thanks for that video. It confirms my concern that 10 feet (walled on both sides) is extremely narrow for a shared-use path. It is probably comfortable for an exclusive bike path, but the 8 foot lane in the video would be almost impassable to a cyclist if there were pedestrians doing anything other than walking single file, completely to the right. Two additional feet is not much relief at all. Imagine a dog on even a short leash or a parent holding their child's hand. There will be crashes. Anyone and everyone can see this disaster coming, but they built it like this anyway.

10 feet is what I've been using for a shared-use path with MassDOT design guidance for a couple of projects that I've been working on of late. That said, my paths typically include a grass strip between the roadway and the path and a 2'-0" minimum offset from the back of the path to any fixed objects such as walls and utility poles. Having that clear space makes all the difference.

10 feet is what I've been using for a shared-use path with MassDOT design guidance for a couple of projects that I've been working on of late. That said, my paths typically include a grass strip between the roadway and the path and a 2'-0" minimum offset from the back of the path to any fixed objects such as walls and utility poles. Having that clear space makes all the difference.

Absolutely. Cycling next to a barrier is very different than having open space there. And a pedestrian can always step off the path at a particularly congested moment. I would estimate that a barrier costs you about a foot of width in how it feels. On each side.

Absolutely. Cycling next to a barrier is very different than having open space there. And a pedestrian can always step off the path at a particularly congested moment. I would estimate that a barrier costs you about a foot of width in how it feels. On each side.
Walked down Walnut st the other day and it looks like the path outbound towards Medford st. and onwards won't be as constrained by barriers as the inbound path. I think after initial curiosity use, Cross st. inbound to CX won't be used for recreation. I just hope that the short term improvements to McGrath highway make it a bit more pleasant to walk on because walking in to Leechmere on the path will be a fairly horrible experience.

Same for driving, and walking, for that matter.

Looking at the Union Sq stop as it comes up to the Prospect St bridge and new residential tower.

295BA26B-631E-48CA-9D95-9B9B85DA2F3E.jpeg
7E002DAD-21E4-4588-A66F-AB14844B9AAE.jpeg

Is the Union Square branch still planned to open in December? If it was, there would be trains out testing, cosmetic touches to the new stations, and I think Lechmere would be closer-looking to complete. This looks like a next summer opening

They are taking their sweet time putting up the OCS poles that are bolted to the barrier wall, rather than drilled foundations.

Absolutely. Cycling next to a barrier is very different than having open space there.

How wide is the Paul Dudley White path along the Charles as you approach Cambridge Street / River Street? That's pretty narrow and bounded by barriers on either side, and feels like a tight squeeze when passing or when someone is coming from the other direction.

It seems like progress has really slowed since announcing the delay :(

Anyone know what that cinder block structure is that they're building next to the elevator at Ball Square?

Back