Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

6B28F387-3755-4CC4-8A55-9A233A1F9C26.jpeg

Installing lights on the bike path today.

"To prep for the March opening" - so if that's true we should hear a date very soon. Really hoping we can have a March date
I'm thinking they might time it with the Spring schedule changes for bus and subway? Last year those were March 14th. The current construction updates page runs through March 10th although that could just be a random date 4 weeks out. https://www.mass.gov/info-details/glx-construction-activities-and-traffic-updates then again previous experience with the MBTA shows that if they give a month it means the last possible day of that month...

Maybe we should start a betting pool for opening day

I'm thinking they might time it with the Spring schedule changes for bus and subway? Last year those were March 14th. The current construction updates page runs through March 10th although that could just be a random date 4 weeks out. https://www.mass.gov/info-details/glx-construction-activities-and-traffic-updates then again previous experience with the MBTA shows that if they give a month it means the last possible day of that month...

Maybe we should start a betting pool for opening day

Dibs on March 31st 😋

I'm going to say that coordinating with the bus schedule changes probably isn't as important for the Union branch, compared to the Tufts branch for which I all but expect the 80 to disappear completely.

That said, the T has so far recently demonstrated a tendency to open things or otherwise do ceremonies on the 15ths or nearby, so I'm personally holding out hope for a Mar 14th date. The Chelsea CR station and B Branch consolidation both opened on Nov 15, with the Chelsea CR official ribbon cutting a month later on Dec 16. Brookline Hills reopened on Jan 11, and they broke ground on the Quincy bus garage today, the 14th. Looking further back, Wollaston reopened August 16 2019, and SL3 opened the week of the 15, on April 21 2018.

Either way, I expect that it won't launch even if it's technically ready until after the schedule to allow for the appropriate political fanfare is determined.

Last edited:
Nice touch with this style of lights.
They appear similar to the lights as found on the existing community path, albeit without solar panels. Probably chosen for the sake of cohesiveness, though I will say I think I would prefer the lights staggered on each side of the path rather than all in a single sided row.

Last edited:

Back