Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

am I right in thinking that construction on the rail section of the Medford branch has stopped for the duration of the shutdowns? If so does it not make sense to finish off the path and open it as an extra option to get down town? Seems like it just needs somerville to paint 3 crosswalks and lechmere to hook it to the existing path. It’s gonna taunt me sitting there idle for the next month!

Based on the activity along the corridor today, I think that’s incorrect.
interesting, is there activity on the path? In fairness, If they are still using it for construction, I've no issue.

20220831_021027.jpg

From the MBTA's Twitter as part of it's closure work highlights - I didn't realize that the top most segment of the sound wall was going to be glass. While it's slick and I expect to look cool, that is going to get so filthy. I've seen exceedingly few transparent sound walls, especially in inaccessible places like elevated structures, kept clean and clear even in Asia.

Also, in such a thoroughly VE'd project, I'm surprised that this is what they chose to spend money on. I can see it in the segments where the viaduct is right against a building and natural light, but it's such a small amount. I'd almost rather that money (and glass) have gone towards the station experience.

View attachment 27945

From the MBTA's Twitter as part of it's closure work highlights - I didn't realize that the top most segment of the sound wall was going to be glass. While it's slick and I expect to look cool, that is going to get so filthy. I've seen exceedingly few transparent sound walls, especially in inaccessible places like elevated structures, kept clean and clear even in Asia.

Also, in such a thoroughly VE'd project, I'm surprised that this is what they chose to spend money on. I can see it in the segments where the viaduct is right against a building and natural light, but it's such a small amount. I'd almost rather that money (and glass) have gone towards the station experience.

As you probably can tell by my username, I can offer a bit of an inside perspective on this.

This was demanded by Brickbottom residents who feared that the sound wall would block too much light coming into their studios. As you point out, it wasn't a well thought out demand; it will be as opaque as the rest of the wall within a few months.

However, even without the top glass, the sound wall has been quite effective at shielding noise (far more than residents expected, I reckon). I can't imagine the top panel will make a huge difference, especially because most noise that still gets through is low-frequency, which no wall can effectively muffle.

I wonder how many residents will regret their request for a transparent top wall once it turns opaque, or else demand that the MBTA regularly power wash the glass (which of course will never happen).

Even though it may look cute in its own little way, how are they getting in there to do that?!!
Sad to say, that if they get caught, it's certains for them!! :eek:

Looks like Silva Cell planter beds. They give space for tree roots and some water retention while supporting a sidewalk above it. Same product that was used under the sidewalks on Somerville Ave:
The previous setup was temporary station access through the UQS building site. If they're laying down this subsurface green infrastructure it's a good sign they plan to construct (at least part of) the final plaza around the new building.

There is a hydroseeding rig working the ROW today. At least bike path should have a fighting chance for some green before it opens.

My last walk (bike this time, actually) of the Medford Branch before it opens, from September 11. Not as visually impressive changes as most updates, but it's visibly nearing completion.

School Street bridge:
1663374852168.png

Community Path construction, looking west. Sure is narrow.
1663375204008.png

Path construction next to the station. This will also serve as pedestrian access to the station.
1663375548004.png

The station itself:
1663376235103.png

One of the bizarre parts of GLX value engineering is how unnecessarily narrow some walkways are. I suspect this one will need widening very soon.
1663377515579.png

Same with the lack of canopy at the entrances. The fare machines have a little roof over them - but you still get wet when using them!
1663377790342.png

1663377801409.png

The expansion joints on the Medford Street bridge are a good place to catch a wheel in. The lack of a westbound bike lane is also frustrating.
1663378088531.png

Community Path west of the bridge:
1663378574754.png

And east:
1663378592391.png

To avoid an awkward angled crossing, the path has this hilarious tiny bikeway on Medford Street:
1663378714919.png

Back