Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Now the question is, is this another "Opening in November" scenario? Or will they abide? he said "see you there at 4:45AM 12/12/22. I put it in my calendar!

Now the question is, is this another "Opening in November" scenario? Or will they abide? he said "see you there at 4:45AM 12/12/22. I put it in my calendar!

In my experience, the MBTA often misses targets of "month x" that are set months in the future, but they have a much higher hit-rate for a specific date set less than a month out.

In my experience, the MBTA often misses targets of "month x" that are set months in the future, but they have a much higher hit-rate for a specific date set less than a month out.
Most likely the infrastructure was already declared 'done', and they announced only when that was a certainty. The next 3-1/2 weeks is just thrashing through the operator ranks on crew qualifications with more of the simulated revenue testing.

I don't suppose there was any mention of the community path?

Kudos to them for sticking to the bit. Opening gets delayed roughly every three months since this February.
  1. December 2021 - original opening date. Pushed out in June 2021.
  2. May 2022 - second opening date. [Asked if the May 2022 goal for the remaining six stops are in question, Poftak replied, "I have not abandoned all hope on that."] Pushed out in February 2022.
  3. Summer 2022 - third opening date. ["The project is on track to begin passenger service on the Medford branch this summer" Joe Pesaturo, April 2022] Pushed out in June 2022
  4. "Late summer" 2022 - fourth opening date. Pushed out August 5, 2022.
  5. November 2022 - fifth opening date. Pushed out November 17, 2022.
  6. December 12 2022 - sixth opening date

The Medford Branch is actually opening on Monday, December 377th, 2021 4:45 a.m., not November 42nd, 2022.

In compliance with the 1991 lawsuit by the Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) over auto emissions from the Central Artery/Tunnel Project (Big Dig), the Green Line Extension will be complete by the end of 2011, opening on Monday, December 4030th, 2011 at 4:45 am.

meaningless stop signs
I’ve tried to ask this here and on twitter but have never really gotten an answer, is there a plan for eliminating stop signs on the Green Line? Will the new signal system implemented with Green Line Transformation remove them? I know some GLX stations have at-grade ped crossings, but there are also stop signs at the start of the North Station tunnel and on the Red Bridge viaduct.

It just seems so insane to me to build fully grade separated transit with stop signs.

Current estimate on the Community Path is January, since they need to use the path to demobilize the construction.

I saw them pouring the curb cut at Central Street this morning. It’s a weird hybrid of offset tactile strip for pedestrians and bikes, and a wide cut for vehicular access to the non-parking lot. I know the construction at Somerville Junction Park will be happening soon, but I would have appreciated them closing off the vehicular cut.

Okay. The Tufts extension will open on December 12th. How long will it be open until they close it to do necessary work like they did with the Union Sq. branch.

In compliance with the 1991 lawsuit by the Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) over auto emissions from the Central Artery/Tunnel Project (Big Dig), the Green Line Extension will be complete by the end of 2011, opening on Monday, December 4030th, 2011 at 4:45 am.

2011 has gone on a while

The original name of this thread was something like "Green Line to Medford/Somerville will open in 2011" or something like that. It's unfortunate this project lost so much time.

It would have been nice if this thread reached its conclusion by its original name. It took so long we have to scourge the Internet Archives to (maybe) confirm the exact name now as we changed the forum software. At least the thread and all the discussion managed to reach this point.

A test train on the unopened Medford Branch got disabled and is currently causing delays on the entire E branch of the Green Line.

1668721051817.png

Back