Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Well, the business week has gone, and no actual press release from the MBTA about the opening date. Very bizarre.

Well, the business week has gone, and no actual press release from the MBTA about the opening date. Very bizarre.
This?
CBAB60E6-84AA-49D5-8CC7-7D390E0F0608.png

Yes, I saw that. But there's not been a press release from the MBTA and the governor's office like they do for major announcements. A typical agency would be putting out that press release immediately upon the conclusion of the meeting - it's the easiest way to steer the narrative and make sure that the media has all the details you want them to have.

Checking the page you linked and scrolling back, I don't see a press release to the announcing the date of the opening of Union Square, just the announcement on the day of it. I don't know really what's normal practice of press releases though.

Checking the page you linked and scrolling back, I don't see a press release to the announcing the date of the opening of Union Square, just the announcement on the day of it. I don't know really what's normal practice of press releases though.

Interesting. They put out a press release (emphasizing Baker & Company, of course) when the Union Square branch opened, but not one to announce when it was expected to open. It does seem odd that they wouldn't put out their own press releases for the announcements, especially given that the announcements themselves are outright newsworthy (and it's not like they think that the media's somehow going to do their work for them on the announcements but not the actual opening(s) that get actual press releases).

Makes one wonder if they wanted to ensure that their own site didn't have any 'incriminating' evidence in the event of having to change the opening dates (not that people wouldn't notice, but we never said their decisionmaking was entirely comprehensible anyway).

Was lucky to see some of the train testing at the current end of the community path by the Magoun Sq station. Trains were going at a good speed, and I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet they were.

Looking forward (eventually) to the type 10s, they’ll look great on this line.
7B9104E1-29BC-4200-B1BA-391B3820D6BB.jpeg

Is anyone aware of what the plan for the parcel that sits between the Gilman Sq station and Medford St is?

Is anyone aware of what the plan for the parcel that sits between the Gilman Sq station and Medford St is?
Short answer: Nothing planned for the foreseeable future (next 5+ years).
Longer answer: It is city owned and has been the preferred dumping ground for a cycling wish list of projects, including fire station, community center, large park, affordable housing. Numerous groups hired by or partnering with the city have sketched out concepts for what would go there. Currently the YMCA is pitching an idea to build a new facility there. If I had my druthers I'd rather they build a new location on an expanded footprint of the Foss Park pool (which was a fleeting idea of Curtatone's some years ago) but that's not likely to happen. And they have no money to build a new facility in the next decade so... see short answer.

It's supposed to open on December 12th.
We know. So far that announcement has only been aired at the Board Meeting. It's S.O.P. to issue a press release so the news outlets can run with it. That traditional press release is still curiously absent.

We know. So far that announcement has only been aired at the Board Meeting. It's S.O.P. to issue a press release so the news outlets can run with it. That traditional press release is still curiously absent.
Looks like it was also absent for the Union Square opening:
Interesting. They put out a press release (emphasizing Baker & Company, of course) when the Union Square branch opened, but not one to announce when it was expected to open. It does seem odd that they wouldn't put out their own press releases for the announcements, especially given that the announcements themselves are outright newsworthy (and it's not like they think that the media's somehow going to do their work for them on the announcements but not the actual opening(s) that get actual press releases).

Makes one wonder if they wanted to ensure that their own site didn't have any 'incriminating' evidence in the event of having to change the opening dates (not that people wouldn't notice, but we never said their decisionmaking was entirely comprehensible anyway).

I just passed by the Medford station. There are two firetrucks, and there were lots of firemen heading inside the station. I guess there goes another year of delay. No visible fire.

Attachments

• 611AAAAA-102E-470D-98AD-C22E714B33F5.jpeg
    611AAAAA-102E-470D-98AD-C22E714B33F5.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 94
Is it possible that they are training for how they would respond to a station emergency?
I guess that's a possibility. I did hear a fire alarm going off though (continuous ringing). I hope it's just a drill... I really want this to open on 12/12 😭

Back