Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

This weekend, green line arrivals at Lechmere (heading toward Union) have included the in-train announcement: "Last chance to transfer to Medford/Tufts trains"
But... at Copley (and Kenmore), they just say "Change here for Heath St/VA Medical Center". Why would they have a completely different announcement?

But... at Copley (and Kenmore), they just say "Change here for Heath St/VA Medical Center". Why would they have a completely different announcement?

That doesn’t happen at Kenmore since the E train doesn’t run through that station. It’ll still happen at Copley when you’re heading outbound I imagine.

A78870DB-D122-42F8-82FA-FB1736A0F6F4.jpeg

Anyone care to take bets on how long the “temporary” fall protection by the bike cage at Magoun will last? I figure five years, unless someone on the GLX project is lurking on this forum.

That doesn’t happen at Kenmore since the E train doesn’t run through that station. It’ll still happen at Copley when you’re heading outbound I imagine.

To clarify (& my apologies): the exact text of the announcement in my prior post is a best-as-I-can-recollect paraphrase, and I should have indicated such in that post (however, I do know it is somewhat different in style and substance from the existing Copley announcement).

Anyway, my point was not to scrutinize the message itself, but to merely share the fact that this in-train announcement is now turned on (prematurely) as a milestone indication of the Medford/Tufts branch gearing up for operation.

The outside fencing has been removed from east Somerville station so you can walk up and see the layout. It's a bit if a walk from the entrance Washington St to the platform but not horrendous. You can see where the bike path ascends in one direction and there's still a fence about 100m in the other direction blocking use of the path. Looks nice in there. Looking forward to getting on the train tomorrow. Also a not very exciting video here on how long the walk is

PXL_20221211_204550036.MP~2.jpg
PXL_20221211_204423446.MP.jpg
PXL_20221211_204202974.jpg
PXL_20221211_204118136~2.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20221211_204121424.jpg
    PXL_20221211_204121424.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 55
  • PXL_20221211_204118136.jpg
    PXL_20221211_204118136.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 53
GLX is now displayed on Google Maps, yesterday it would recommend the local buses when December 12th, 2022 was selected. Today, it now displays properly.

View attachment 31693
On Apple Maps it shows under transit, but it’s a bit wonky.

Attachments

• 2EEF902C-B82B-4DCA-90B9-28B3445AECC7.jpeg
    2EEF902C-B82B-4DCA-90B9-28B3445AECC7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 57
Just realized something that the GLX won't be able to replace:

A single early morning outbound trip from Lechmere on the 80 bus and 87 bus, on Weekdays and Saturdays.

These 2 trips depart from Lechmere, bound for Arlington at 5:28 a.m. and 5:29 a.m. Monday thru Saturday; roughly following the GLX's Union Square and Medford Branches, respectively.

However, the first Union Square train doesn't arrive at Lechmere until 5:38 a.m., and the Medford Branch train until 5:45 a.m. By that point, the first 80 bus has already arrived at Medford/Tufts, once the first northbound E train reaches Lechmere station.

This means there will be a slight reduction in early morning northbound service with the GLX, or that transit riders who desire early morning northbound service, will still need to rely on the 80 and 87 buses respectively.

Technically, this problem already exists on the E branch on Huntington Ave., where the 39 runs earlier morning inbound service to Back Bay, than the E branch running inbound from Heath St.

On Apple Maps it shows under transit, but it’s a bit wonky.

Google Maps' transit overlay map feature doesn't show GLX yet; right now, GLX only shows when selecting a route in directions.

They changed that announcement as well, not sure if you've been on the green line lately but there's all new voices and announcements as of about a week ago.

View attachment 31666
Anyone care to take bets on how long the “temporary” fall protection by the bike cage at Magoun will last? I figure five years, unless someone on the GLX project is lurking on this forum.

From the looks of that wood, I'd say that it's been there for at least 5 years, & it might be there for another 5 years!!

Will there be an opening ceremony in the middle of the day tomorrow, like the one at Lechmere when the Union Square branch opened? Can't find this info anywhere.

It turns out the first westbound Heath St. train was delayed quite a bit, the real-time trackers showed there was about only a 30 second gap between when it pulled into Arlington and when the first northbound Medford train reached Arlington. (The gap was supposed to be 12 minutes scheduled).

Back