Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Honestly I feel like that the B, C, and E branches dont really fit well on Rapid Transit Subway maps. The 3 branches have stops at the frequency of bus stops, not subway station spacing or distance, or design. They travel at or around bus speeds. The D branch fits the subway map better.
Given how load bearing they are though, I really can't see how you justify not having them on the map. It would definitely help with map legiblity /clutter if there were fewer stations though. I was hoping that with Babcock/Armory completed, stop consolidation would basically become an ongoing program, though it looks like the T has forgotten about it for now. (Any maps still out there that show pre consolidation BU West, Pleasant St, etc? Those, that I've seen, have at least gotten a sticker overlay within a year.)

Knock out reliability, accessibility, type 10 compatibility and travel times all at once - the B and the C could definitely benefit from it. IE, there really doesn't need to be 3 stops between Coolidge Corner and St. Mary's.

(Also, isn't there an entire thread somewhere about maps?)

Last edited:
For the first time in weeks, I saw folks working on the community path near School Street. The presence of a dump truck on the cantilevered part of the path was simultaneously precarious and reassuring.

IE, there really doesn't need to be 3 stops between Coolidge Corner and St. Mary's.

(Also, isn't there an entire thread somewhere about maps?)

There should be one stop between St Mary’s Street and Coolidge Corner (between Kent and St Paul Streets).

There should be one stop between Coolidge Corner and Washington Square (between Summit Ave and Brandon Hall).

That would be a good cadence.

There should be one stop between St Mary’s Street and Coolidge Corner (between Kent and St Paul Streets).

There should be one stop between Coolidge Corner and Washington Square (between Summit Ave and Brandon Hall).

That would be a good cadence.
There should also only be one or two stops max in between Cleveland Circle and Washington Square.

Cool brick pattern at the Lechmere entry and REI. Kind of looks like one of those crazy Boston intersection diagrams…like David Sq .

C50C4D1A-5E78-4649-9E17-96015832AA86.jpeg
B975E354-9F3C-4418-B5B2-E15C20BC808C.jpeg
C50C4D1A-5E78-4649-9E17-96015832AA86.jpeg
7D655244-7DA0-4C33-A1FE-013C6A49A791.jpeg
7D655244-7DA0-4C33-A1FE-013C6A49A791.jpeg

If they really put in a radar speed sign you bet all of college kids will be racing their bikes/scooters for a high score on that thing..
Absolutely, that will be the exact reaction. Even at 51 years, I was in a group ride last Summer with a bunch of similarly aged riders, where we had reached a pretty fast pack pace approaching one of those signs. We were absolutely thrilled to see the number inch up to 30 as we approached, then shift to "Slow Down!" when we exceeded the speed.

Cool brick pattern at the Lechmere entry and REI. Kind of looks like one of those crazy Boston intersection diagrams…like David Sq .

View attachment 35071View attachment 35070View attachment 35071View attachment 35072View attachment 35072
That 2-story Framingham Rte 9 style REI building - in THAT prime urban location????? Rankles me no end.
Could have been better, but at least it's retail and not some blobby lab building.

That 2-story Framingham Rte 9 style REI building - in THAT prime urban location????? Rankles me no end.
what would you put there instead?
I like when you come in to Lechmere on the T (from the north) the view of CX isn't obscured by anything higher. I like it's industrial feel. I like that it's retail and you'll see people milling about between it and the station.
I also like that it's located at what's basically the start of a pretty long dedicated bike path.
Sure, they could have put another Zinc in, and there are plans for a taller building between REI and Zinc but I think this really works from an overall viewpoint.

what would you put there instead?
I like when you come in to Lechmere on the T (from the north) the view of CX isn't obscured by anything higher. I like it's industrial feel. I like that it's retail and you'll see people milling about between it and the station.
I also like that it's located at what's basically the start of a pretty long dedicated bike path.
Sure, they could have put another Zinc in, and there are plans for a taller building between REI and Zinc but I think this really works from an overall viewpoint.

Plenty of better options right at the station- both usage wise for commuters/residents (mixing of supermarkets, big box stores, health clinics/medical offices, resident-facing government offices like RMV/Biz Licensing/post Office) and yes, more urban type architecture to better take advantage of a relative in-town transpo center. Half-assing it into only one suburban REI store is unforgivable of that spot, IMHO.

But if you believe that a single specialty store (and no, Ruairi, it doesn't look "industrial" at all, it clearly looks "Modern Route 9 Natick") is the best option for that location, then I will be all ears as to why. But to me, this is as much of an anti-urban unimaginative bunt as the Tip O'Neil Building at North Station.

Further, your point about not having a high rise there so as not to ruin any views is pretty much rendered moot by the ACRES of big, beautiful central park (and quite well-done) right in the middle of CX. Isn't that relief valve enough? How much bucolic set aside do we need there??????

Last edited:
Plenty of better options right at the station- both usage wise for commuters/residents (mixing of supermarkets, big box stores, health clinics/medical offices, resident-facing government offices like RMV/Biz Licensing/post Office) and yes, more urban type architecture to better take advantage of a relative in-town transpo center. Half-assing it into only one suburban REI store is unforgivable of that spot, IMHO.

But if you believe that a single specialty store (and no, Ruairi, it doesn't look "industrial" at all, it clearly looks "Modern Route 9 Natick") is the best option for that location, then I will be all ears as to why. But to me, this is as much of an anti-urban unimaginative bunt as the Tip O'Neil Building at North Station.

Further, your point about not having a high rise there so as not to ruin any views is pretty much rendered moot by the ACRES of big, beautiful central park (and quite well-done) right in the middle of CX. Isn't that relief valve enough? How much bucolic set aside do we need there??????
You'd rather an RMV at the door step of a new T station and a new community path over an REI?
I think the long narrow shape mixed with the black steel beams shows a kind of nod to the industrial rail yard past here and the materials complement the restaurant/bar building across the road.
For years this project has been slagged off for being a route 9/128 suburban mess.
I just don't see it. I like when the new train pulls in to lechmere and the REI building doesn't dominate and I can see across the park to the higher buildings at the back of the development.
I think the tall residential building is a bit meh but I like the two sanofi buildings.
This is still very much a work in progress but, yea, the REI building is fine, not award winning, not terrible, but fine.
Cant wait until the path opens now.

You'd rather an RMV at the door step of a new T station and a new community path over an REI?

You clearly did not comprehend what I wrote.

If you think I meant just ONE usage tenant, then read it again. Slowly. And this time, don't skip the word "mixing". The focus of the post is about a large composite serving a large population. It is a strategic location.

Reactions: W-4
I think the tall residential building is a bit meh but I like the two sanofi buildings.
I agree - I have a much bigger problem with that awkward plain residential building in what should have been the jewel of the neighborhood overlooking the park.

That REI gets pretty good business now, and will do even better the moment that path opens.

Does anyone know how much longer is the Green Line trip out to Medford/Tufts from Haymarket this weekend?

The MBTA posted speed restrictions of 25 MPH for all of the Green Line due to lack of documentation for repair work. The Green Line Extension to Medford was designed for 50 MPH speeds, and opened 3 months ago with speeds of 40 MPH between East Somerville and Medford/Tufts.

Does anyone know how much longer is the Green Line trip out to Medford/Tufts from Haymarket this weekend?

The MBTA posted speed restrictions of 25 MPH for all of the Green Line due to lack of documentation for repair work. The Green Line Extension to Medford was designed for 50 MPH speeds, and opened 3 months ago with speeds of 40 MPH between East Somerville and Medford/Tufts.

I honestly didn't notice much of a difference from Ball to Science Park. I might just be immune to impacts from slower service, though.

There are no trips from Haymarket as trains are not running between North Station and Government Center.

Due to the abysmal turnback procedure at North Station, frequencies are reduced; and trip data from North Station is not available as is typically the case during diversions. The median delay induced by the global speed restrictions is roughly 2 minutes.
Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 2.09.46 PM.png

Most trips from Science Park are in the 15-minute range (add a few minutes to that coming from North Station). Some have been longer, though, exceeding 20 minutes. The travel times have been a bit worse inbound:
Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 2.15.53 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 2.16.14 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 2.16.28 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 2.13.37 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 2.13.37 PM.png
    325.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 2.13.52 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 2.13.52 PM.png
    127.9 KB · Views: 21
It's a complete waste, because it's not even a very useful REI. It's convenience store level, and most serious needs will still require people to visit the much better and larger Fenway store.

Yup. For THIS particular location, it should have been a full swing, not a sacrifice bunt. Terrible urban planning and mass transit mistake. Smart Growth means aggregating multiple services around transit points So that it serves the most and varied people via mass transit - - you don’t slow walk these opportunities. But CX did in this case.

Think of the quantitative difference between:

a) the number of people who would take the T to Lechmere to shop at REI (which I’m in FAVOR of, it should be a component among others)
vs.
b) number of people who would take the T to Lechmere to shop at REI, a supermarket, gov’t licensing/passport, medical offices/clinics, USPO, many other retailers, etc.

Maximization of transportation/economic efficiency and benefits should be the goal. As of now, this is a waste.

Last edited:
Yup. For THIS particular location, it should have been a full swing, not a sacrifice bunt. Terrible urban planning and mass transit mistake. Smart Growth means aggregating multiple services around transit points So that it serves the most and varied people via mass transit - - you don’t slow walk these opportunities. But CX did in this case.

Think of the quantitative difference between:

a) the number of people who would take the T to Lechmere to shop at REI (which I’m in FAVOR of, it should be a component among others)
vs.
b) number of people who would take the T to Lechmere to shop at REI, a supermarket, gov’t licensing/passport, medical offices/clinics, USPO, many other retailers, etc.

Maximization of transportation/economic efficiency and benefits should be the goal. As of now, this is a waste.
It's not like this REI building has ruled out any of this stuff happening.
It's a business that went in early and is doing well.
It's location and size (the buisness) is perfect for the area.
As to the use of the site in relation to the rest of the development, it's clearly been decided in advance of REI leasing that building.
And as to aesthetics, that's subjective. It could be nicer but I don't mind it, there are different far more objectionable buildings in CX.
But like everything there, it's the sum of it's parts and so far they are getting it right (in my opinion)

Back