Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Dont see why the T couldn’t operate it as two bidirectional tracks and have trains arrive and depart from both platforms like at Oak Grove, Alewife, ect. It’s annoying that trains could leave from either level, but isn’t directing passengers to the right platform what the T ambassadors are (should be?) for?

If your near HRT quality light rail can only manage headways unsuitable for even proper regional rail,
1) maybe, potentially, think about considering using 2 tracks,
2) Bustitute at least the Union branch to Leachmere to provide an actual usable service.

The current untenable headways seem like the T checking a box (yes you still technically CAN take a trolley to Union) rather than actually caring about providing useful transit.
They could have easily made it such that all Union Square trains depart from the lower level (normally the inbound platform) and all Medford/Tufts trains depart from the upper level (normally the outbound platform).

They could have easily made it such that all Union Square trains depart from the lower level (normally the inbound platform) and all Medford/Tufts trains depart from the upper level (normally the outbound platform).

In what way does this help?

I don't disagree on principle, but you'd be surprised at the extent people will go to get into a space that clearly they're not supposed to be in.

The number of snoopers that the folks with Ring cameras post around here (compared to other places I've lived) is awfully high. It makes me think that people are entitled to things that aren't theirs and much more likely to feign incompetence when caught as well.

Dont see why the T couldn’t operate it as two bidirectional tracks and have trains arrive and depart from both platforms like at Oak Grove, Alewife, ect. It’s annoying that trains could leave from either level, but isn’t directing passengers to the right platform what the T ambassadors are (should be?) for?

If your near HRT quality light rail can only manage headways unsuitable for even proper regional rail,
1) maybe, potentially, think about considering using 2 tracks,
2) Bustitute at least the Union branch to Leachmere to provide an actual usable service.

The current untenable headways seem like the T checking a box (yes you still technically CAN take a trolley to Union) rather than actually caring about providing useful transit.
I bet there is a power system reason behind this. It always feels like that ends up being the Achilles heal for these alternative concepts.

No photos b/c it was pouring rain at the time...but, it was nice to see the top of the Lechmere viaduct very busy with construction workers at various points along it this morning. Most exciting, though, was that it appeared that workers were finally replacing the rail ties on the defuct drawbridge span of the viaduct, which, if I understand correctly, was what was responsible for the dreadful viaduct speed reduction we've been enduring. Fingers crossed that was actually what was happening!

Green Line Extension now has 2 speed restrictions between East Somerville and Ball Square already

1687437483334.png

But how, howwwww? Those tracks, ties, power, etc., are all brand new. I get deferred maintenance being a bear in the 19th century tunnels, but what could have gone wrong to add slow zones to a brand new section of track? The interactive MBTA map helpfully lists the reason as "Track"...

They're new, perhaps installation issues were found, similar to the alleged issues causing the slowdowns over the viaduct?

Likely that track issues are covered by the warranty, so it should be fixed quickly.

The center trucks on the Type 8s routinely chatter and make a ton of noise on the whole line. They may have fouled something.

According to this Reddit post, a large number of speed restrictions were added on the Green Line. This, including the GLX restrictions, might be in response to the recent derailment.

Given how finnicky the Bredas are about track conditions, I'd agree it's likely derailment-related.

I'm so confused as to why they needed to replace 2800 feet of track across the Lechmere viaduct. Wasn't that just replaced?

Another super annoying detail of the new Lechmere busway is that there are no signs telling you which berth is for which bus. There are four buses that terminate there and you’re left guessing / scrambling where any one of them is going to pick up each time. Again, another detail (similar to the outdated maps discussed here) that ignores the customer experience.

I'm so confused as to why they needed to replace 2800 feet of track across the Lechmere viaduct. Wasn't that just replaced?
Reading the MBTA’s Lechmere Viaduct Rehabilitation project page, I think the distinction lies in the term “track renewal” vs “track replacement.” Does anyone know the difference? I mean other than the obvious part that track renewal I assume retains the existing track but does something to it to “renew” it for a longer service life. My point is that the project page says they “renewed” the track 2-3 years ago. Guessing that ultimately failed and now they are replacing it with new track

Whatever the case may be, the fact that the remedy is to just shrug our shoulders and continue to eat shit from the MBTA on some of the newest CapEx projects in the whole system is unbelievable. They need to be explicit about what and why is going on with added slow zones from an already bloated and behind-schedule project that opened in the last few years. I really don't get how this organization has insulated itself from any form of accountability for so long.

When will the Government Center Garage demolition be completed? Or at least complete enough to no longer cause these Green/Orange Line service disruptions?

I don't know. But the main MBTA website lists today as the last day of the shuttle bussing. I used it today to get into Boston. I also finally went by the cursed garage to view it after ~2 weeks of shuttle bussing. I took some photos and this is what it looks like today.

IMG_4786.jpg
IMG_4787.jpg
IMG_4790.jpg
IMG_4791.jpg

I don't have a before photo but it looks shorter now. I never thought I care and wish to see an urban pit, but here I am and but it's not quite there yet. I'm guessing this means there's still more closures (and even if it was a pit, I'm sure there's closure related to this project might still happen anyways - including construction.

BTW, is there a thread about the Garage itself? I can't seem to find one but this probably has it's own thread that follow the demolition and construction, right?

Back