Green Line Reconfiguration

3lp5Kka.jpg
[/IMG]

I understand the Boylston curve is one of the congestion points on the Green line. Is there a big enough operations / speed of service benefit from eliminating it by building a new cut and cover tunnel through the Common? If nothing else was done Boylston Station would not be served. However if service was restored through the Tremont Street tunnel non-West Bound trains would still stop at Boylston. Also if an Essex Street tunnel was found cost effective trains between the Seaport and Back Bay would stop at Chinatown Under which serves the same area as the current Boylston Station.

I like the realignment west of the Burial Ground, but the problem I see is that a grade separated junction of the two Green Lines would be difficult that close to Park St.

The existing grade separated junction at Boylston is a nice feature.

How is digging up the Common a "reasonable" transit pitch?

It seemed reasonable enough when they did it to accommodate car storage. Twice.

I misread the thread title. My B!

That said, they won't dig up the Common again just to realign a transit line that isn't broken as is.

No, no, no, no, no. This is more inventing wacky builds for inventing wacky builds' sake. Just...no...stop it. If it doesn't fulfill the obligations SL Phase III set out to do, it's not an SL III replacement alignment and has no business being funded anywhere except the bizarro world of one's imagination.

1) Digging up the Common on a close shave to the opposite side of what SL Phase III attempted is going to run headfirst into the same archeological blockers. The burial ground is so old its true borders are poorly mapped, as are other early uses of the Common adjacent to it. They will find something of historical significance there, because they always do when surveying around 17th-18th century sites in Boston. The odds get astronomically higher of finding unknown historical artifacts the closer you try to pass the known historical artifacts. SL Phase III thought it was taking a do-no-harm routing too. They were wrong. This is a losing bet on the percentages.

2) Absolutely no routing can ever skip Boylston station because that defeats the whole purpose of what SL Phase III was attempting to accomplish. This render is not an SL Phase III replacement because there's no downtown transfer station. Arlington can't handle the volume of outbound-to-inbound transfers this would flush its way. If it's up Essex St., there has to be a Boylston connection of some sort. And that's very very hard given all the structural underpinning that was the biggest cost bloater. This is a brutally difficult problem on the interface, one that does not lend itself to easy answers. Digging up the Common for any reason is not an acceptable answer that'll get approved in the real world. Because that was already tried.

3) Boylston curve is not the apocalypse this render is making it out to be. Curves exist elsewhere on the Green Line, and they aren't service killers. They are least-concern service killers when they happen adjacent to an immediate station stop where the train is going to be going slow any which way. Like Buses said, the point of this project isn't fixing things that ain't broke because reasons...it's fulfilling the core project goals of SL Phase III with a more buildable redesign. If you really want to speed up Boylston curve it's very doable by shaving back the outbound-side wall with reconfigured supports and spreading the tracks around a widened deck to knock a few degrees of severity off the curve. That's an in-situ improvement that doesn't go off the footprint of the concrete pour on the current tunnel and won't have thorny structural surprises. On the list of improvements That Must Be it's pretty damn low, but you do have the option to do it at speed improvement you can clock with a radar gun without ripping up the whole fucking Common for neato map doodles.

"The definition of insanity. . ." and blah blah blah.:rolleyes:

Copley grade separation

Has anyone ever taken a careful look at whether it would make sense to grade separate Copley Junction by sending outbound E branch trains to the surface for the Arlington and Copley stops, and keeping the inbound E branch trains on the current route through the tunnel?

Specifically, after stopping at Boylston, outbound E branch trains would go up to the surface at what the 2014 Blue Book track schematic describes as ``Note A'' ``Ramp to abd public garden incline''; Boylston St and Dartmouth St would be reconfigured to have a single track MBTA reservation, which would be contraflow to the normal one way automobile traffic on both streets (and there'd be an opportunity to look at the possibility of a road diet and adding cycle tracks); there'd probably be one surface stop just after crossing Arlington St, and another somewhere on Dartmouth St.

Then the I-90 onramp from the Dartmouth / Blagden / Huntington / St James intersection would be disconnected from I-90 and converted to a subway portal. IIRC, there was a study of I-90 ramps in this area which concluded we had an oversupply of ramps, so rerouting that I-90 traffic to somewhere else is probably OK for highway flow. It's unclear exactly how steep this ramp would need to be, but I suspect if an engineer is looking at options for making it work, including trying to lower the Dartmount / Blagden / Huntington / St James intersection, and possibly using more than the 6% max grade listed in the Green Line Extension specs, it can probably be made to work.

Re: Copley grade separation

Has anyone ever taken a careful look at whether it would make sense to grade separate Copley Junction by sending outbound E branch trains to the surface for the Arlington and Copley stops, and keeping the inbound E branch trains on the current route through the tunnel?

Specifically, after stopping at Boylston, outbound E branch trains would go up to the surface at what the 2014 Blue Book track schematic describes as ``Note A'' ``Ramp to abd public garden incline''; Boylston St and Dartmouth St would be reconfigured to have a single track MBTA reservation, which would be contraflow to the normal one way automobile traffic on both streets (and there'd be an opportunity to look at the possibility of a road diet and adding cycle tracks); there'd probably be one surface stop just after crossing Arlington St, and another somewhere on Dartmouth St.

Then the I-90 onramp from the Dartmouth / Blagden / Huntington / St James intersection would be disconnected from I-90 and converted to a subway portal. IIRC, there was a study of I-90 ramps in this area which concluded we had an oversupply of ramps, so rerouting that I-90 traffic to somewhere else is probably OK for highway flow. It's unclear exactly how steep this ramp would need to be, but I suspect if an engineer is looking at options for making it work, including trying to lower the Dartmount / Blagden / Huntington / St James intersection, and possibly using more than the 6% max grade listed in the Green Line Extension specs, it can probably be made to work.

All of that former portal infrastructure is obliterated, and the way the Pike ramps are stacked up around the E tunnel precludes the exact insertion point you speak of...so it's all moot. Physically impossible to do that setup.

But even if it weren't impossible that proposal is a Rube Goldberg machine's worth of needless complexity that would be un-dispatchable in real practice. There's no yard at Heath, just the second loop for very short-term idling of one 2-car consist while the other loop is in revenue service. Inbound and outbound schedule times have to stay 1:1 balanced to make the branch work. That's impossible if you one-way alt route anything prematurely to the surface on an asynchronously-timed schedule. It doesn't matter if said alt route is somehow superior, either, because that fouls the 1:1 schedule balance that Heath is dependent on and leaves the branch non-functioning. This would be true for Heath (or Hyde Sq.) even if you did D-to-E connecting trackage from Brookline Village and got *some* service patterns on Huntington-proper load balanced via Reseroir's car supply. South Huntington is still effed by the asynchronous scheduling in any scenario. Probably to the point where you'd have to abandon S. Huntington streetcars to exclusively the 39 bus and just do a Brookline Vill.-Reservoir turn. Unacceptable transit loss because of the VA Hospital's accessibility needs.

Besides, the Prudential and Symphony ridership numbers are not chopped liver. Pru's in a statistical tie with LMA for the highest-ridership branch-only stop on the whole GL. It does more than Science Park, and about 80% of what Haymarket boards on Green. It would be equally unacceptable transit loss to anyone working around the Pru skip the indoor prepayment stop in one direction.

But even if it weren't impossible that proposal is a Rube Goldberg machine's worth of needless complexity that would be un-dispatchable in real practice. There's no yard at Heath, just the second loop for very short-term idling of one 2-car consist while the other loop is in revenue service.

Clearly if a deal could be worked out with Angell Animal Medical Center to build a yard on some of their potentially underused land, and to extend the E branch one stop south to a stop just south of Bynner St, that would be valuable.

Inbound and outbound schedule times have to stay 1:1 balanced to make the branch work. That's impossible if you one-way alt route anything prematurely to the surface on an asynchronously-timed schedule. It doesn't matter if said alt route is somehow superior, either, because that fouls the 1:1 schedule balance that Heath is dependent on and leaves the branch non-functioning.

Clearly the number of trains arriving at Heath needs to more or less match the number of trains departing Heath if we don't have a yard, but if it were to consistently take 12 minutes for a train to get from Boylston to Symphony and 15 minutes to do the reverse, I don't think that would be a problem. Can you elaborate on why you think this would be a problem? Indeed, does the Heath to Brigham Circle travel time currently match the Brigham Circle to Heath travel time during rush hour? I'm sure variable delays, or very slow traffic, are suboptimal in that case, but that's different from a consistently different travel time in each direction.

And with competent transit signal priority, I wouldn't expect the running time on the surface to be terribly different from the running time in the tunnel. And I bet building a tunnel because you can't figure out how to collect fares at surface stops in a sane manner is going to cost more than just giving away free fares at those stops if fare collection time were going to be the deal killer for the surface stops.

Besides, the Prudential and Symphony ridership numbers are not chopped liver. Pru's in a statistical tie with LMA for the highest-ridership branch-only stop on the whole GL. It does more than Science Park, and about 80% of what Haymarket boards on Green. It would be equally unacceptable transit loss to anyone working around the Pru skip the indoor prepayment stop in one direction.

This makes me think we aren't communicating clearly about what I was intending to propose. I was thinking that outbound E branch trains would use the existing underground stops at Park and Boylston, then make surface stops in the vicinity of Arlington and Copley, and then go back into the tunnel for Prudential and Symphony, and continue to make all of the existing E branch stops to Heath or wherever the Hyde Sq extension process takes us.

You're trying to solve a minor problem with a big expensive solution. Dwell times at stations (and a not-too-great signal system), not TPH, are the limiting factor on current capacity. Copley Junction is an annoyance, but it's not the horrible issue that it's made out to be.

The Boston Elevated Railway had a very good grasp on operations; even with a limited budget, they would not have built a system that couldn't handle the load. Immediately after the Huntington Avenue subway opened, you had 27 TPH coming from the new subway, and 62 TPH coming from the west, by my counts. That's 89 TPH, exactly twice what's currently scheduled. But those 89 trains had lower dwell times and could double-stack in Copley station.

Much, much cheaper improvements will make Copley Junction better. Live tracking - which will likely eventually include live crowding - will give a clearer idea of which trains should be prioritized through the junction. If the Green Line ever goes full ATO underground, then movements can be further smoothed. Eventually, it might be desired to extend the eastbound platform under the square (with a new entrance east of Dartmouth Street) to allow two trains to be platformed at once. But even that is vastly less complicated and expensive and disruptive than what you're proposing.

Clearly if a deal could be worked out with Angell Animal Medical Center to build a yard on some of their potentially underused land, and to extend the E branch one stop south to a stop just south of Bynner St, that would be valuable.

Clearly the number of trains arriving at Heath needs to more or less match the number of trains departing Heath if we don't have a yard, but if it were to consistently take 12 minutes for a train to get from Boylston to Symphony and 15 minutes to do the reverse, I don't think that would be a problem. Can you elaborate on why you think this would be a problem? Indeed, does the Heath to Brigham Circle travel time currently match the Brigham Circle to Heath travel time during rush hour? I'm sure variable delays, or very slow traffic, are suboptimal in that case, but that's different from a consistently different travel time in each direction.
I just elaborated why this is a problem. You're not paying attention, you're relying on your own intensity of belief to square a discrepancy without providing any evidence for why that's so. Including assuming that Angell is going to respond with pure giving altruism at what in effect is a gun to their heads: "Fork over your parking lot so we can have a bigger-than-normal storage yard or we have no choice but to bustitute all your nearby rapid transit service out of inability to run this kooky asynchronous schedule."

It's a dispatching nightmare to run an asynchronous schedule. The E runs a 6-minute bi-directional headway at peak, same as all 3 other branches. A 3-minute discrepancy in inbound vs. outbound scheduling...plus uncertainty padding...is a gigantic difference. You need more cars than there is available land for yard space to square that discrepancy. Kludging it up with Brigham short-turns fouls slots when the cars changing ends can't get out of the way. Cutting frequencies in one direction beyond Brigham is transit loss, pure and simple; it won't fly with City opposition. And dispatching that whole shit sandwich of awkward kludges on one branch while minding all manner of Central Subway slotting on all other branches is going to make OTP across the whole GL wildly inconsistent (or, assuming you pull out all other sensible SGR and straightforward performance tweaks to roll back OTP attrition to something more consistent...end up making it wildly inconsistent all over again).

On what empirical evidence is there demanding such an incredibly convoluted solution when, as EGE notes, the main problem with Copley Jct. congestion is "garbage in, garbage out" at the portals from lack of signal priority on B/C/E? If this is just a brain teaser in how to invent the hardest possible way to address a straightforward problem...stop right there. This is the wrong thread for that.

And with competent transit signal priority, I wouldn't expect the running time on the surface to be terribly different from the running time in the tunnel. And I bet building a tunnel because you can't figure out how to collect fares at surface stops in a sane manner is going to cost more than just giving away free fares at those stops if fare collection time were going to be the deal killer for the surface stops.
More assumptions not rooted in evidence. Surface running times will never be equivalent to the tunnel. The tunnel is a hermetically-sealed, grade-separated, single-mode system with centrally controlled automatic signaling for that one mode. And the Huntington tunnel in particular has the highest speed limit on the entire Green Line outside of the hinterlands of Newton on the D. The surface has mixed traffic and mixed traffic rules: crossing traffic, crossing pedestrians, signal phases for crossing traffic, line-of-sight pauses for crossing traffic at unsignalized intersections, and a lower City of Boston speed limit. The traffic properties are too divergently different to equalize unless you whack speeds in the tunnel with long schedule adjustments dwells at Pru & Symphony every...single...time. What possible sense does that make?

This makes me think we aren't communicating clearly about what I was intending to propose. I was thinking that outbound E branch trains would use the existing underground stops at Park and Boylston, then make surface stops in the vicinity of Arlington and Copley, and then go back into the tunnel for Prudential and Symphony, and continue to make all of the existing E branch stops to Heath or wherever the Hyde Sq extension process takes us.
I understand completely what you're proposing. It's overcomplicated, impractical, and completely unnecessary by any real-world (or idealized real-world) measure of bread-and-butter Green Line operations, any measure of fact-based mechanics of surface vs. subway traffic management, and any measure of fact-based mechanics of what the root causes of Green Line congestion are vs. what they aren't. The only thing that isn't clear is why one's intensity of belief in doing the most unnecessary and overcomplicated thing overrules traffic modeling facts.

Sorry...there's not a whole lot to debate here if this isn't going to grounded in some acknowledgment of real-world Traffic Modeling 101 and applying some sort of practicality-based filter on how far is too far for a transit solution to have to twist itself into a pretzel to perform its basic function. The graveyard of ArchBoston thread sidebars is chock full of dead-end circular arguments like this where belief un-moored from factual evidence always has inexhaustible reserves of personal hunches and what-if's and yeah-but's. It doesn't bring any clarity to the discussion of a possible real-world transit solution when carried out as a steel-cage match evidence vs. belief.

Re: West Station to Kendall

I never really got the purpose of feeding a Harvard Branch via GJ. If you're getting on a ring GL train at North Station and you want to get to Harvard, wouldn't you just get off at a Kendall transfer (yeah, yeah, it's not behind fare gates... ) and go two stops on Red rather than staying on Green for 6-8 mores stops?

If the Harvard Branch serves West Station, then Worcester Line riders might find that the fastest way to get to Kendall Sq is by changing from the Worcester Line to the Green Line at West Station, boarding a Green Line train that will provide a single seat ride from West Station to Kendall. But that train probably doesn't need to go all the way to Harvard (and probably shouldn't, so that Harvard terminal capacity can be used for the Harvard to Park St Green Line service).

Re: North Side Green Line Branches

In the long run, I think we might want to have several north side Green Line branches:

• the Union Sq branch, which I hope we'll see extended to Porter and along the Watertown Branch for connections to the 71 and 73 buses at Belmont St / Mt Auburn St, and to more or less have a connection to the 70 at School St. Also, hopefully somewhere between the 71/73 and the 70 transfer points, there will turn out to be some underutilized commercial or industrial space that could be turned into an overnight layover facility. And if Watertown has a strong desire to extend it to Watertown Sq and can come up with the ROW to do so, that would be OK too.
  • the Medford / Tufts University branch, which may eventually get extended northwards.
  • a branch which would serve the Washington St / Brickbottom station, then follow McGrath to Mystic Ave to Medford Sq. McGrath's traffic volumes may be able to accomodate a lane drop, which might free up space for this along McGrath, and in any case this branch might end up being able to carry more people per hour than a lane full of single occupancy vehicles. And part of Mystic Ave is low density commercial use; perhaps it could be redeveloped as high density mixed use, and as part of the redevelopment process, perhaps a sliver of the private land immediately next to the street could be bought by the government to increase the street width.
  • a branch similarly following McGrath, but then continuing along Fellsway, and possibly a small part of Fellsway E and then Pleasant St to reach the Malden Center station. I suspect if this branch ever gets built at all it will be one of the last to be built.
  • a branch serving Sullivan, the casino, and then following route 16 from Sweetser Circle to route 1, following route 1 to about Squire Rd, and possibly following the Northern Strand Community Trail to Lynn Commons to Market St to the Lynn commuter rail and possible future Blue Line station. If this gets built at all, I expect it to not get built all the way to Lynn in its first phase. Making the route 16 part work would probably involve a road diet to reduce the road from three general purpose automobile lanes in each direction to two.
  • a branch serving Sullivan, the casino, Market Basket, and the traditional location of the Chelsea commuter rail station, and then following the Newburyport / Rockport ROW most of the way to Wonderland, and then diverging from the traditional railroad ROW to provide a transfer to the Blue Line at Wonderland.
  • a branch serving Sullivan, the casino, Market Basket, and the rest of the Silver Line Gateway bus stops; I expect this will probably be the third branch to be built.

Green Line trains outside the Central Subway

Some leading candidates for routes that avoid the Park St / Government Center congestion in an expanded Green Line system:

• Chelsea to Porter / Watertown branch
  • Chelsea to Grand Junction to the subset of the B branch from about St Paul St to Chestnut Hill Ave, then a stop near Cleveland Circle, then the subset of the D branch from Chestnut Hill to Newton Highlands, then the Upper Falls / Needham stops
  • West Station to Kendall
  • the subset of the E branch stops from Forest Hills / Arborway (or maybe a stop just north of Angell Animal Medical Center) to Riverway, then follow the D-E connector (if it's designed to allow this movement) to serve the Longwood and Fenway D branch stops, then Kenmore, BU Central, Grand Junction, and maybe continue onto the Tufts University / Medford branch
  • Black Falcon Terminal to South Station to the subset of the SL4/SL5 stops from Herald St to Melnea Cass Blvd, then follow Melnea Cass Blvd to Ruggles Station, obliterate the trees on Ruggles St for a surface run over to the E branch, stop near the Museum of Fine Arts stop, stop at the Longwood, Brigham Circle, and Mission Park stops, continue along the D-E connector to serve Brookline Village through Beaconsfield, then stop near Cleveland Circle and continue to Boston College
  • Black Falcon Terminal to South Station to the subset of the SL4/SL5 stops from Herald St to Dudley, then continue to a terminus in Franklin Park about where the 45 terminates.

Re: Green Line trains outside the Central Subway

Some leading candidates for routes that avoid the Park St / Government Center congestion in an expanded Green Line system:

• Chelsea to Porter / Watertown branch
  • Chelsea to Grand Junction to the subset of the B branch from about St Paul St to Chestnut Hill Ave, then a stop near Cleveland Circle, then the subset of the D branch from Chestnut Hill to Newton Highlands, then the Upper Falls / Needham stops
  • West Station to Kendall
  • the subset of the E branch stops from Forest Hills / Arborway (or maybe a stop just north of Angell Animal Medical Center) to Riverway, then follow the D-E connector (if it's designed to allow this movement) to serve the Longwood and Fenway D branch stops, then Kenmore, BU Central, Grand Junction, and maybe continue onto the Tufts University / Medford branch
  • Black Falcon Terminal to South Station to the subset of the SL4/SL5 stops from Herald St to Melnea Cass Blvd, then follow Melnea Cass Blvd to Ruggles Station, obliterate the trees on Ruggles St for a surface run over to the E branch, stop near the Museum of Fine Arts stop, stop at the Longwood, Brigham Circle, and Mission Park stops, continue along the D-E connector to serve Brookline Village through Beaconsfield, then stop near Cleveland Circle and continue to Boston College
  • Black Falcon Terminal to South Station to the subset of the SL4/SL5 stops from Herald St to Dudley, then continue to a terminus in Franklin Park about where the 45 terminates.

Just have to point out that any of these disconnected Green Line systems will need layover and maintenance yards to feed and maintain the rolling stock. You need to identify the candidates for these large facilities.

I have an idea for reducing the amount of time the B-line spends waiting at red lights through BU and potentially realigning the stops.

84xqAxB.png

• Move the Comm Ave Eastbound to Westbound U-turn from the intersection with Cummington to the intersection with St Mary's.
  • Scrap BU Central at it's current location (since there is not enough space on Comm Ave Eastbound for 3 lanes and a Green Line Platform)
  • Ban left turns from Cummington to Comm Ave. Instead you could go right and do a U-turn just before Kenmore, or BU can easily make Cummington 2-ways or reverse the direction to allow access to Blandford for the left turn there.
  • Ban left turns from Granby to Comm Ave. Instead turn right and do a U-turn at St Mary's. It would also be possible to cut through the alley between Bay State Road and Comm Ave to get to Silber Way and do a left there.

Since this would prevent vehicular traffic from crossing over the Green Line tracks at both Cummington and Granby, it would eliminate 2 potential red lights for the B-line. With this plan, there are 3 potential ways to realign the stops in the area.

1. Eliminate BU Central and do nothing else.
  2. Consolidate BU Central and BU East at a new station between the current stations. (There is just enough space on for a Green Line platform next to 3 lanes of traffic on Comm Ave Westbound)
  3. Move BU Central to the west end of the block by Carlton/University Rd.

I'm leaning towards the third option since any other option would leave a particularly long gap between stops (especially with BU West being relocated). While this gap might not seem like a huge deal at the moment, BU's IMP indicated a long-term plan to use its Mass Pike air rights and underutilized lots and buildings around the Comm Ave & BU bridge intersection to create a new central campus region. If these developments occurred, it would probably make sense to BU Central further west even without my proposed traffic realignment.

Re: Green Line to Arlington along Mass Ave

http://amateurplanner.blogspot.com/2016/02/a-complete-mass-ave-in-cambridge.html proposes a transit reservation down the middle of Mass Ave from Harvard to the Cambridge / Arlington line. That proposal suggests the use of vehicles with rubber tires, but the space could probably be shared with Green Line trains.

If space could be found on Mass Ave through Arlington to be able to run Green Line trains along Mass Ave all the way from Harvard to Arlington Center, it might make sense to then have the Arlington Center to Arlington Heights to Lexington Center potential future steel rail transit service be Green Line instead of Red Line, since the Green Line can deal with grade crossings. Maybe the Green Line could even be extended out to Bedford along the Minuteman.

Potentially, some Green Line trains approaching Porter from Arlington would continue to Union Sq and Lechmere, and others would continue to Harvard and Boston University and Kenmore.

While that might work for light rail or trackless trolleys, extending the Green Line that far out will have a ripple effect throughout the system. The Red Line is the fastest way downtown and the majority of riders would transfer at Porter Sq. It would even be faster than taking the Green Line all the way from Porter to Park St. So this idea that extending the Green Line to Porter or past will always be a pie in the sky.

Boston has a pretty simple and ingenious transit network based on hubs. Buses use a station as a hub for the surrounding area so that riders can get to the T as fast as possible and transfer. The metropolitan area just isn't dense enough to need a web of subways like NYC has; when I lived there I took the bus as much or more than the T!

The Green Line is a strange hybrid being cobbled together from old streetcar and commuter rail lines. To improve the GL investments should be made to move away from mixing streetcars with subway service by separating the two. I've always suggested merging the D/E branches and making a new connection downtown so that these trains can run on dedicated tracks as higher capacity light rail while the streetcars are separated via the existing Green Line tunnels to Park St. This would allow for increased frequency and fewer delays.

While that might work for light rail or trackless trolleys, extending the Green Line that far out will have a ripple effect throughout the system. The Red Line is the fastest way downtown and the majority of riders would transfer at Porter Sq. It would even be faster than taking the Green Line all the way from Porter to Park St. So this idea that extending the Green Line to Porter or past will always be a pie in the sky.

What about the folks going from Porter to Haymarket (or Government Center or North Station or Lechmere), though? Or Davis to Lechmere or Union Sq?

And if there's ever going to be steel wheel on steel rail service along the Watertown branch, why wouldn't that connect to Porter, and why leave a gap from Porter to Union Sq? Won't there be folks wanting a direct trip from Watertown to Somerville's Union Sq? And aren't there maintenance advantages to having a single interconnected system using common rolling stock?

Boston has a pretty simple and ingenious transit network based on hubs. Buses use a station as a hub for the surrounding area so that riders can get to the T as fast as possible and transfer. The metropolitan area just isn't dense enough to need a web of subways like NYC has; when I lived there I took the bus as much or more than the T!

I don't expect to see a massive investment in tunneling everywhere, but at the same time, improvements in transit service across the Charles upstream of the Longfellow would be worthwhile. I've done Porter to Brookline / Newton via Park St, and Park St is pretty ridiculously far east for those trips if you look at a geographically accurate map.

The Green Line is a strange hybrid being cobbled together from old streetcar and commuter rail lines. To improve the GL investments should be made to move away from mixing streetcars with subway service by separating the two. I've always suggested merging the D/E branches and making a new connection downtown so that these trains can run on dedicated tracks as higher capacity light rail while the streetcars are separated via the existing Green Line tunnels to Park St. This would allow for increased frequency and fewer delays.

Do we even need that higher capacity downtown if we can divert trips across the Charles to an appropriately more direct route?

Could we have a streetcar route starting at Forest Hills, following South St, Centre St, and S Huntington, and then a short stretch of route 9 and along Riverway and then a bit of Longwood Ave, Kent St, a bit of C branch track, St Paul St, and then left onto B branch track, right onto Babcock, across West Station, to Harvard Sq, and then up Mass Ave to Arlington Center? And another route duplicating that from Forest Hills to St Paul St, but then turning right onto the B branch track, then following the Grand Junction and the Medford Branch out to College Ave and maybe even Mystic Valley Parkway and beyond?

And if we do need more capacity in the existing Green Line tunnels, I think we should first look at rebuilding the surface platforms for four car trains and running four car trains through the subway at rush hour.

What about the folks going from Porter to Haymarket (or Government Center or North Station or Lechmere), though? Or Davis to Lechmere or Union Sq?

They take the commuter rail, it will be faster. Or just take the Red Line and transfer. It's faster. Also how many people from North Cambridge are actually going to North Station daily?

Edit: Not many.

Map showing primary work destination for North Cambridge.
RvBrBN2.jpg

And if there's ever going to be steel wheel on steel rail service along the Watertown branch, why wouldn't that connect to Porter, and why leave a gap from Porter to Union Sq? Won't there be folks wanting a direct trip from Watertown to Somerville's Union Sq? And aren't there maintenance advantages to having a single interconnected system using common rolling stock?

Watertown Green Line isn't going to happen. It isn't direct enough. It needs to connect to Harvard or Central like the Mattapan Line, where the established bus lines are, or use the Grand Junction if we want to get creative. Also no one is going to ride from Watertown to North Station, they will all transfer at the Red Line as soon as they can. So extending the GL to Porter and beyond won't do much good.

QXKUjXR.jpg

Do we even need that higher capacity downtown if we can divert trips across the Charles to an appropriately more direct route?

When the vast majority of trips are to downtown then yes, we need more capacity. A bypass could work if the majority of transfers are headed to one location (like Back Bay), but then it still would proabably have a higher cost per rider than could be justified.

Could we have a streetcar route starting at Forest Hills, following South St, Centre St, and S Huntington, and then a short stretch of route 9 and along Riverway and then a bit of Longwood Ave, Kent St, a bit of C branch track, St Paul St, and then left onto B branch track, right onto Babcock, across West Station, to Harvard Sq, and then up Mass Ave to Arlington Center? And another route duplicating that from Forest Hills to St Paul St, but then turning right onto the B branch track, then following the Grand Junction and the Medford Branch out to College Ave and maybe even Mystic Valley Parkway and beyond?

Why on earth?! None of that would be faster than the T and would cost vastly more than bus lanes with BRT which would be the only cost effective way to service that few of riders.

And if we do need more capacity in the existing Green Line tunnels, I think we should first look at rebuilding the surface platforms for four car trains and running four car trains through the subway at rush hour.

Expanding train sets is the first step. Segregating lines and removing bottlenecks is the second (and more expensive).

Last edited:

Back