Green Line Reconfiguration

Three points:
One - I love it. We should build the F-Line to Dudley (Nubian). Natch.
Two - We should not encroach at all on the proposed NSRL alignment. Build that first and we'll talk about everything else. I don't want NSRL to be delayed even more because some short thinker with a red-pen stamps CANCEL on the plans because yadda yadda complicated.
Three - I hope to God that the guys on this board with the institutional knowledge of the structural underpinnings of this area are alive by the time this gets started... or some unnamed MBTA Gen-Yer is going to have to research it all over again, adding cost and time to what should be a relatively easy project (obligatorily compared to the Big Dig).

Reading this makes me wonder whether the MBTA planners will actually consider the Back Bay and Seaport branches at all when designing the Nubian branch, if it ever happens. (Can't rule out the possibility that none of them happens, sadly.)

Reading this makes me wonder whether the MBTA planners will actually consider the Back Bay and Seaport branches at all when designing the Nubian branch, if it ever happens. (Can't rule out the possibility that none of them happens, sadly.)

I'd be mildly surprised (to the extent that that's possible when it comes to being underwhelmed by the T) if they don't consider the Seaport branch at all. Most of the (semi-)recent studies of the area around the sealed portal were part of the interminable and ill-fated effort to build Silver Line Phase III to connect the two halves of the SL, including at one point an actual idea of re-using the portal for that purpose, so it's not like they can completely ignore the context of those studies and the purpose of the project they were for (though whether they do anything about that is, unfortunately, a separate question).

Two - We should not encroach at all on the proposed NSRL alignment. Build that first and we'll talk about everything else. I don't want NSRL to be delayed even more because some short thinker with a red-pen stamps CANCEL on the plans because yadda yadda complicated.

This isn't a problem. The NSRL stays a hundred or more feet away from any/all of the tunnel proposals we have discussed on these last few pages, and any reasonable permutations we haven't discussed. The NEC portal is on the Washington-Harrison block...well east of anywhere you'd have to cross over to get Green on any alignment for Nubian. The NSRL tunnel stays centered under the NEC to the curve by South Station, then swings out under the Dorchester Ave. side of the SS complex. GL-Seaport tunnel would be under Marginal St. and curving up to Hudson...or do something else even further inland. They're way far away from each other at all critical points. Blockage isn't a thing we have to worry about here, because they're going such divergently different sides and depths around SS.

Would adding two branches on the Tremont tunnel be operationally feasible without double-tracking the Park Street-Government Center section and Government Center itself? I know there has been discussion of removing the Park Street loop to increase the governing radius on the entire system.

The maximum that's been operated in recent years is about 45 trains per hour at a 5-6 minute headway per branch. 8 minute headways across 6 branches is also 45 trains per hour, but from what I've heard on here that's not achievable anymore once a new signal system is installed.

Would adding two branches on the Tremont tunnel be operationally feasible without double-tracking the Park Street-Government Center section and Government Center itself? I know there has been discussion of removing the Park Street loop to increase the governing radius on the entire system.

The maximum that's been operated in recent years is about 45 trains per hour at a 5-6 minute headway per branch. 8 minute headways across 6 branches is also 45 trains per hour, but from what I've heard on here that's not achievable anymore once a new signal system is installed.

The new crossover @ Park inner inbound should make traffic management lots easier, such that trains going on the far berth @ GC will be able to get waved ahead in the queue instead of going single-file. Removing Park Loop also hasn't been fully decided. And even if it is there is still a blank wider-radius outer loop there going from outer track-to-outer track that could be reactivated with some additional crossover/diamond work.

The new crossover @ Park inner inbound should make traffic management lots easier, such that trains going on the far berth @ GC will be able to get waved ahead in the queue instead of going single-file. Removing Park Loop also hasn't been fully decided. And even if it is there is still a blank wider-radius outer loop there going from outer track-to-outer track that could be reactivated with some additional crossover/diamond work.

In a world where the Tremont tunnels to the former portal were re-used, would reactivating the outer loop be the better option, because it would mean that anything coming from, say, Nubian or the Seaport that was turning at Park wouldn't have to cross over to Track 3 to access the current loop, or would that 'weaving' not be much of an operational issue anyway with the current loop?

In a world where the Tremont tunnels to the former portal were re-used, would reactivating the outer loop be the better option, because it would mean that anything coming from, say, Nubian or the Seaport that was turning at Park wouldn't have to cross over to Track 3 to access the current loop, or would that 'weaving' not be much of an operational issue anyway with the current loop?
You're asking an operational question, but I'll give a system-level answer. Any route operating into the Pleasant Street Portal will be a 21st century build -- whether from Seaport, Nubian, or Back Bay. It is hard to imagine any such route operating with worse reliability than the B or C Branches. That means -- almost definitionally -- that a Pleasant route will be a stronger candidate for through-running than a Kenmore route.

To put it another way: which routes do you want to through-route from Park to Government Center and beyond?

1) Definitely Seaport -- the only way that U-shaped route makes any sense is if it originates further north. Short-turning at Park seems ill-advised.

2) Probably Nubian -- as the shortest branch, it'll have that many fewer opportunities for delay, and therefore could pair-match well with one of the fully-grade-separated, rapid-transit-stop-spacing northern branches. If you need to short-turn, my preference would be at Government Center, to provide transfer to the Blue Line, so still not at Park.

Would we want to through-run Back Bay services? That's more of a wild card. If it's just today's E Line, mixed-running and all, then that's a pretty obvious "no". If the Huntington Ave subway is extended, then we have more of a case. And if a full-build D-to-E Connection is built, where Riverside trains are able to run via Huntington at high-reliability (i.e. no street-running), then that branch rises very high on our list for through-running, since it will pair-match very nicely with something like a Medford Branch or a Waltham Branch.

From the other side of the coin: which routes do you want to avoid through-running?

1) Definitely the B Line. Even with a subway under Comm Ave past BU, I still think this branch will be too long, too slow, and too much like a local bus service to pair-match well with anything on the north side, and it's still hard to imagine it ever being in the top tier of reliability

2) A resurrected A Line to Newton Corner/Watertown Sq would suffer the same challenges as the B Line. If memory serves, even back in the day, the A Line rarely traveled further than Park. A shorter version that terminates at Oak Square could be more promising though.

3) I would argue that any of the "Urban Ring" services -- such as a branch to Harvard or a branch to the Grand Junction from Kenmore -- are weaker candidates for through-running, if capacity is limited. Most Green Line North branches are going to be west of the Orange Line and veer back toward Cambridge, meaning these routes would be doubling-back on themselves if through-run. Likewise, they would both compete against the Red Line for journeys to downtown from Harvard and Kendall. But, as I say, "weaker candidates", as I think there would be some merit, particularly if the Green Line is extended to Chelsea.

4) And it's worth noting that a Blue Line extension to Kenmore would significantly reduce the pressure for Kenmore branches to through-run to Government Center, as the transfer to Blue would be available at Kenmore. Seaport, Nubian, and Back Bay branches will not have the opportunity, and therefore should get some priority on slots to GC.

All of which is basically to say: looping Pleasant services at Park would not rise high on my list of priorities. There are good reasons to reactivate the Outer Loop to increase the overall resilience of the network, but I don't see a need to loop Pleasant services being particularly high on that list.

I’ve been fiddling lately, which is always a bad sign.

The topology of a massively expanded LRT network is significantly improved by providing a second eastern approach to Kenmore. Most of our recent discussions on connecting Kenmore and Cambridge have utilized a double-back route that travels via the BU Bridge, creating a horseshoe running from Kendall to Cambridgeport to BU Bridge to Kenmore. This is a western approach.

But connecting Cambridge via an eastern approach to Kenmore from Kendall would have significant advantages. For one, the journey is more direct. But additionally, it provides a second “faucet” to feed the western branches with one-seat rides, removing the capacity “ceiling” created by running all of those branches into the Central Subway.

A tunnel is infeasible (well, not necessarily physically infeasible, but certainly expensive), and a new bridge would also be a tough swing.

But what I’ve been fiddling with lately: could we use the Mass Ave Bridge itself?

What this might look like:

1) Branch the Grand Junction heading west at Mass Ave. A 60-foot radius curve (in line with the 50-foot curve at the Brattle Loop and the 55-foot curve at Kenmore) would require taking about half of a parking lot next to the ROW and rebuilding the intersection of Mass Ave and Vassar St

d4CNjJ1RnqdXkd5Rmhdc6UODpFl2i1wZ9547nJ--PsGCjCQABJEN0Fh8NJvAOI6NY3egeByu4WJ19pdG7ThhP85Q8x1hchI2pMwygCgSX_cQQBVHnUUBjo2tmyJMupBYUAjusLex

2) Claim two lanes on Mass Ave for BRT and LRT (which should be done for the 1 bus already anyway). Include a stop directly at MIT’s main campus

3) Cross the river using two lanes of the Mass Ave Bridge

cYKFu3IZ-QI-YDeh1D2X1_ByVuUdXExkrvFwfdk7pyvTljJdxxqRGTkLAQcmJFhNigjDIDu3UqDsUoSiQiE4J3Kz3E6VxJ4P6bHcUpJM77uPru-cgd96QzYL9EbZi4HaGZ1FVIkH

F2zqu1rzIcW84-rjyERkE52zvSJXCQcbk8No8hp6nAH2_E-VHxQsnkcaS4weVa0c_zPpwYC_Pkugq8BTW6GJu3YJsak68VHHamcV4_qOtcy-HyeH4kw8IGOPKURtdAiJJP8pK47I

4) Turn west at the intersection of Mass and Beacon. Reimagine Beacon Street with two lanes for LRT tracks (and optionally BRT), one travel lane, one parking lane, and a one-way bike lane. This will require the taking of one travel lane and one parking lane along the 0.3 mile stretch.

Cenk8lAzuTbUr6ITGfzETBI7ljSWplV1xHb-TedY5n3a8zck1Uqe6qbXSJcFA_hVW9KOSwbLUJwdaYgaN4i3ETO3CxXYjoJRidw0oDNCxKjx4_1XVDmgN_T_tNBA1O5brwGYid6c

CRDNIRJXeaij31VUsAWxnHeatfI1fguqqOW5we4SW0gtOd0hQbwb9EQMYd6PIk9e18lZJ01XAWWR3aNZpOpFcNvpsWHcFUSFd_e2rnTmGox__032G9Ue5rRQr3rqzOyr0xS7V3qs

5) Use a surface station at Kenmore; further connection to Commonwealth Ave is straightforward via about 700 feet of on-street track, and connections to Beacon St and the Highland Branch are possible via the very-wide Beacon Street bridge over the Pike. From there, service from Kendall could run direct to Allston/Brighton, Watertown, Boston College, Cleveland Circle, Riverside, Needham, Heath St/Hyde Square, Arborway, and even back around up Huntington.

(In the example service map below, I’ve routed it down to Brookline Village. Note that the track diagram is very rough and is just meant to give an idea of what I mean. A surface station at Kenmore – with berths for buses, not included here – would significantly reshape the square; those details are not worked out here.)

kdQDMxNAv46vPcV23nvnaLIw5T4XagKqs6tFHFUDh9RU892g3ob1b3YGZ_PHvmS03H5U8-MPZ_cS5BRQY3CpWQu_se1WANecOp73nqnLSsP3oWDBA4yOYU-FVqJUqDMkDXMAbtVn

0r-vdlxaa-Dov9FVqTY2HmNMc47RLdM4eo9Dr6cCqtq3H18VkyBKoiOlB5Tsj0kP9E_z8ZoESiW4GJBJbWe4msINJ0D8iKjcpeRnGaPERO0ks6VicUt4R-VLK4xSr4zv3_S2wtxP

This wouldn’t be equivalent to the capacity of a full second Central Subway, but it would be a significant capacity increase. To use terminology I’ve proposed elsewhere, this would be closer to the “light metro” end of the spectrum, which could be a good fit, given that the surface branches themselves have “light metro” stop spacing and that the service over the bridge would itself be circumferential.

There are three major challenges I see with this right away, and which I’m keen for feedback on.

1) Mass Ave is tight on the bridge.
  1. There are four travel lanes, two shoulders doubling as bike lanes, and then two relatively wide sidewalks. I’m not sure it’s quite feasible to just paint two of the lanes red and lay down tracks – the lanes still might be a bit too narrow to keep up good speeds for either automobiles or transit.
  2. Yes, there would need to be a traffic study to understand the impacts of reducing auto traffic lanes by half on the only river crossing for a mile in either direction. Perhaps these reductions could be off-set by making the transit lanes more like HOV lanes – allowing private buses, cars with 3+ riders, delivery trucks…?
  3. If the sidewalks could be narrowed, even only slightly, that would provide well-needed wiggle room. For reasons I’ll describe below, my recommendation would be to split the lanes up by mode, not travel direction – meaning that one sidewalk could potentially be separated from auto traffic by two bike lanes, which might make the narrowing a little more palatable
  4. (Parenthetically – those shoulders-as-bike-lanes look absolutely absurdly narrow.)
2) Beacon St is tight.
  1. This would be a significant redesign of the street, so it would be important to work with the community to make sure concerns are addressed
  2. This neighborhood has slightly more limited east-west thoroughfares, so reducing Beacon St would redirect some westbound traffic down to Commonwealth, which itself is already only one travel lane heading west
  3. I believe the overpass through Charlesgate itself doesn’t have parking lanes, so for the true chokepoint there could potentially be two travel lanes
  4. A surface stop could potentially be added on Beacon St at the Mass Ave intersection, which could mollify residents somewhat; the downside is that it would require eliminating both parking lanes along that stretch
3) The curve from Mass to Beacon is very tight
  1. This is actually my biggest concern
  2. I don’t want to introduce a smaller “ruling curve” into the LRT network than the 50-foot Brattle Loop (which I believe will remain in place for the foreseeable future), and from my rough measurements on Google Maps, a 50-foot radius might be possible, if the widest possible alignment through the intersection is used
  3. This is why I want to segregate the lanes on the bridge by mode rather than direction: I want both tracks to be on the far northeastern edge of the intersection, taking a broad curve into Beacon St, and running along the southern half of Beacon. Using center-running or opposite-side-running tracks on Mass will require even tighter turns
  4. In this mock-up here, the inner track is intended to have a 55-foot radius, which does look doable, albeit tight. Adding a platform on Beacon (only room for a center platform) does complicate things a bit – you want to have the platform as close to the intersection as possible so as to enable transfers to the 1 bus and to a future Blue Line station at Storrow & Mass. It looks like a 50-foot inner track could “land” on Beacon St pretty close to “on target” for placement alongside a center track – but it’s a close call

er7bUMxkcCO_ptRBlHOEqfoaMnfKdFdxKyCUsm8NZeMJPuuzpnGPO-UD2UZJOsJgTlg_lA1rHYGnHjl9gvof3FiNqVfal3Bek5ailCXsUg2Tg9tQ1wDCfcxd3MWELVkNQ8sjIRw8

I think all of the above concerns can be addressed with careful planning. By my math, this route would be just over half as long as traveling via the BU Bridge would be, and it would enable through-running from the branches on to Kendall.

In terms of comparing new construction, it’s worth noting that the design outlined here could then simplify construction at BU Bridge. I would still consider creating an LRT link between Kendall and West Station via Cambridgeport and the BU Bridge/Grand Junction Bridge, but it would not be necessary to build a Kenmore-Cambridgeport leg of the junction. (I suppose one could eliminate a Cambridgeport segment altogether, and run service as Kendall-Kenmore-BU-West Station. However, I think it’s worth it for West Station to have a higher-capacity connection to Kendall and particularly Sullivan, avoiding street-running as well as the Central Subway.)

- - - - - -

I know it’s a bit inelegant. And I know we’d need to solve the political problem of wires running over the street (although hopefully the transit lanes themselves could be transferred to the T). And the challenges of reduced travel lanes and on-street parking.

But from a technical perspective – assuming the curve at Mass & Beacon can work – I think this could be feasible?

If we want to make the Nubian/Seaport branch proposals a bit less "crazy," we need to limit ourselves to portals that don't impinge on Elliot Norton Park itself. Sure, it didn't exist when the portal/incline was last used in 1962, but the chances of eliminating a fifty-year-old park that is very well used by the children of Chinatown are precisely zero.

If we want to make the Nubian/Seaport branch proposals a bit less "crazy," we need to limit ourselves to portals that don't impinge on Elliot Norton Park itself. Sure, it didn't exist when the portal/incline was last used in 1962, but the chances of eliminating a fifty-year-old park that is very well used by the children of Chinatown are precisely zero.
Also, the "4F" environmental requirements of the Federal government would probably preclude reopening the old portals in Elliot Norton Park.

All of which is basically to say: looping Pleasant services at Park would not rise high on my list of priorities. There are good reasons to reactivate the Outer Loop to increase the overall resilience of the network, but I don't see a need to loop Pleasant services being particularly high on that list.

Thank you, Riverside, for such a thorough response. I was thinking only in one dimension, with the idea of one or more new branches looping at Park as needed, without considering that spare capacity north of Park could also be obtained by turning existing (inner-track) services at Park if necessary, especially the B which has done so recently and could well benefit from it again, if operational requirements caused a need to loop something at Park.

1. I don’t want to introduce a smaller “ruling curve” into the LRT network than the 50-foot Brattle Loop (which I believe will remain in place for the foreseeable future), and from my rough measurements on Google Maps, a 50-foot radius might be possible, if the widest possible alignment through the intersection is used

I'm not planning on going anywhere anytime soon :ROFLMAO:

On a serious note, though, the T's own plans (unless they've changed) called for the 47-odd-foot Park loop to stick around, meaning that if they don't change their minds then the Type 10s would have to be compatible with that. It's only a few feet, but I'd be curious if that'd move the needle on the Beacon curve (but man would I not want to live in those buildings around that intersection, that curve would be loud...though hopefully not as loud as the actual Brattle Loop...and with fewer sparks...)

In terms of comparing new construction, it’s worth noting that the design outlined here could then simplify construction at BU Bridge. I would still consider creating an LRT link between Kendall and West Station via Cambridgeport and the BU Bridge/Grand Junction Bridge, but it would not be necessary to build a Kenmore-Cambridgeport leg of the junction. (I suppose one could eliminate a Cambridgeport segment altogether, and run service as Kendall-Kenmore-BU-West Station. However, I think it’s worth it for West Station to have a higher-capacity connection to Kendall and particularly Sullivan, avoiding street-running as well as the Central Subway.)

I'm not wild, personally, about the lack of a Kenmore-BU-Cambridgeport leg, given that it would effectively preclude the option of running from the Central Subway out onto the GJ and vice-versa. I'm not sure how common a service pattern that would necessarily be, though I could envision it being desirable at least in certain circumstances. Would also be a mildly more 'elegant' way of getting north-bound Sox fans out of Kenmore without needing to flood the downtown core, without engaging the street running. (To be honest, I'm very curious how that much street running would fare with post-Sox crowds.)

It's definitely more straightforward than F-Line's "boomerang" idea on a map, though I don't know if that much street work and street running would wind up being much cheaper or easier than modding the Kenmore loop for the boomerang, which has the advantage of considerably more grade separation at the cost of taking more existing capacity.

I know it’s a bit inelegant. And I know we’d need to solve the political problem of wires running over the street (although hopefully the transit lanes themselves could be transferred to the T). And the challenges of reduced travel lanes and on-street parking.
Have to solve the problem of their pathological hatred of street running, wires, transit-lane enforcement, spending money, and building out transit, all at the same time. There's a reason this thread is basically Green Line-specific Crazy Transit Pitches; I think we can assume that the only way anything like this could ever get done is if there's a sea change in management at the state and MBTA level when it comes to LRT.

Would we want to through-run Back Bay services? That's more of a wild card. If it's just today's E Line, mixed-running and all, then that's a pretty obvious "no".
Well, today's E line already through-runs to Union Square and eventually to Medford... Though that's more of an operational issue (access to GLX yard). And agreed that in a world where more trains are added south of Park, the GLX (and possibly Chelsea) trains will likely prefer to be paired with Nubian and Seaport trains instead, and it would make sense to have today's E cut back to Park.

Another aspect to consider is the maintenance of relevant one-seat rides. In the case of GLX, the D and E were chosen particularly for one-seat rides to LMA, so you may want to through-run at least some Riverside or Heath St trains towards Somerville even in the long term. That, and the aforementioned operational issues, may throw a wrench into things.

But connecting Cambridge via an eastern approach to Kenmore from Kendall would have significant advantages. For one, the journey is more direct. But additionally, it provides a second “faucet” to feed the western branches with one-seat rides, removing the capacity “ceiling” created by running all of those branches into the Central Subway.
One thing I don't fully understand yet: Where do you envision the Kenmore-Mass Ave-Kendall trains to go east of Kendall? Turn back immediately at Kendall? Follow GJ to Lechmere and go down all the way to Brattle Loop (or even to Park and south)? Go north to Sullivan and maybe Chelsea?

Another concern I have is with grade crossings. Mass Ave has 4 back-to-back traffic lights in the vicinity of MIT campus: Vassar St, 77 Mass Ave, Amherst St, and Memorial Dr. The only one I can possibly see being eliminated (at least for LRVs) is Amherst St, especially if you put both LRV lanes to the east. But even if you do that, this section of Mass Ave will likely still give unreliable performance.

3) Cross the river using two lanes of the Mass Ave Bridge
Not sure if you were already aware of this, but Mass Ave Bridge (Harvard Bridge) was reconfigured last November and reduced to two lanes (one in each direction) in order to widen both bike lanes widened. This was implemented with (temporary?) traffic cones placed in the middle of what were originally the outer travel lanes, so not sure if it will be permanent. But it does show that:
- Reducing travel lanes on Mass Ave Bridge is doable, but
- Any further reconfiguration likely needs to ensure that bike lanes are wide enough.
What you proposed seems good to me if it's feasible, but that I'm not too sure.

(I suppose one could eliminate a Cambridgeport segment altogether, and run service as Kendall-Kenmore-BU-West Station. However, I think it’s worth it for West Station to have a higher-capacity connection to Kendall and particularly Sullivan, avoiding street-running as well as the Central Subway.)
Another reason for keeping that part of GJ is that IMO a station at Cambridgeport will actually see some demand. Several homes and apartments there, and it's just a bit too out of the way to RL stations. Might not be a major concern, and any location on the GJ will likely not be optimal, but still.

This might also make a direct Cambridgeport-BU-Kenmore-Central Subway connection a bit more justifiable, but again, not a major concern.

It's definitely more straightforward than F-Line's "boomerang" idea on a map, though I don't know if that much street work and street running would wind up being much cheaper or easier than modding the Kenmore loop for the boomerang, which has the advantage of considerably more grade separation at the cost of taking more existing capacity.
Was the "boomerang" about modding Kenmore to allow a B-C or B-D connection?

(but man would I not want to live in those buildings around that intersection, that curve would be loud...though hopefully not as loud as the actual Brattle Loop...and with fewer sparks...)

Oof. Yeah. That was an aspect I hadn't fully considered, and I think it renders the whole topic moot if indeed there is no way to minimize/eliminate squeal. That issue kills this entire proposal dead -- that intersection is extremely residential. The Track Design Handbook for Light Rail Transit, Second Edition has a section on curving noise, including various remedies. Perhaps an automated lubrication system could keep the noise to a manageable level? But I'm not optimistic.

One potential alternative crossed my mind, although it is highly contingent... In a world where Storrow has been put on a diet, it's possible that the spaghetti of interchanges at Charlesgate will be simplified. If that does come to pass, then there might be opportunity to insert a new LRT ROW somewhere in there. Vague sketch:

Mass Ave to Kenmore via El.png

Here I've drawn it on the western edge of the (former) interchange's footprint, although it may be preferable to utilize an alignment that is closer to the center of the footprint and further away from homes (e.g. the Beacon-to-Storrow-westbound onramp). But this would be completely dependent on whatever the heck is done with Storrow and Charlesgate. If it's all gonna get blown up, then perhaps there is opportunity.

And the only other wild-ass idea I can think of would be to somehow interface with a Blue Line tunnel as it crosses Charlesgate... relocating the curve underground at least?

[EDIT: perhaps that lot between EB and WB Storrow just west of Mass Ave could be useful? On the satellite it look like park, but I believe it doesn't actually have any pedestrian access. Could be for a portal that connects to an expanded Blue Line tunnel? Or maybe could thread an LRT ROW through the existing spaghetti to Beacon?]

Alas.

I'll reply to the other points for completeness, even if the noise issue renders them moot.

I'm not wild, personally, about the lack of a Kenmore-BU-Cambridgeport leg, given that it would effectively preclude the option of running from the Central Subway out onto the GJ and vice-versa. I'm not sure how common a service pattern that would necessarily be, though I could envision it being desirable at least in certain circumstances. Would also be a mildly more 'elegant' way of getting north-bound Sox fans out of Kenmore without needing to flood the downtown core, without engaging the street running. (To be honest, I'm very curious how that much street running would fare with post-Sox crowds.

The point about the interactions between Fenway crowds and street-running rail service is well-taken, and would be another challenge, though I suspect more surmountable with good station design at Kenmore.

Regarding Kenmore-BU-Cambridgeport: so there's a larger discussion here, actually somewhat related to the system-level analysis I gave you regarding the Park Loops. I should be clear that, absent an eastern approach, I'm completely in favor of a physical Kenmore-BU-GJ connection. It'll be a gamechanger, enabling generations of operational flexibility.

However, I have become increasingly skeptical of running Central Subway (specifically Boylston St Subway) service out on the Grand Junction. Kenmore short-turns? Absolutely. BU-Kenmore-Longwood boomerangs? I can get onboard. But running a service that goes Park-Copley-Kenmore-BU-Cambridgeport-Kendall... that does not make sense to me.

F-Line and I had a big back and forth about this a couple years ago (maybe 10 pages upthread? possibly before you opened your account, Brattle?). I think it's instructive to think of the core tunnels as "faucets" that supply trains out to the branches. The more branches you have, the bigger "faucet" you need to supply trains at adequate frequencies. If your faucet has a maximum capacity of 40 tph, and your service standard calls for 10 tph per branch, then you can have four branches. If you want to have six branches, you'll need a second faucet to supply the extra trains to keep your branch frequencies at 10 tph.

One advantage of the designs we've come up with here for a Back Bay-Boylston-Nubian-Seaport interchange is that it allows Back Bay and Seaport to each be fed by two faucets: Seaport gets trains from Park and Back Bay, and Back Bay gets trains from Park and Seaport. That means, for example, you could get 20 tph between South Station and Seaport without needing to drain 20 tph directly from the Park faucet.

Short-turns have some utility as "faucets", if they are serving segments where many riders will be transferring at the short-turn segment anyway. In this respect, Kenmore could be a useful short-turn faucet, depending on how transfer behaviors evolve in the coming decades; maybe you could lower frequencies on the branches below 10 tph if they were supplemented by Kenmore short-turns.

But there are two problems here. First, as you realize by now, the Kenmore Loop doesn't help us with any of the new branches we talk about here: Watertown/Oak Sq, Harvard/Allston, and Grand Junction would all need to access via Commonwealth, and wouldn't have access to the Loop without reconstruction. (From what I recall, connecting the B to the Loop would be challenging because of the vertical grade changes on either end of the station.)

Second: Beacon and Commonwealth have 130 years of uninterrupted one-seat riders to downtown, and I think almost always at 10 tph peak headways. Making two out of those ten trains per hour short-turn at Kenmore with a forced transfer would pretty unambiguously be a degredation of service and would face enormous generational inertia. (This was one benefit of an eastern approach from Kendall: providing a one-seat ride to MIT, Kendall, and Sullivan -- avoiding the need for transfers to Red and Orange -- could offer a reasonable "consolation" for mild reductions in frequency to downtown.)

My point is that slots in the Boylston St Subway will always be at a premium, even after D and E are rerouted over to Huntington and Pleasant (and Seaport). Depending how you figure the capacity, you can probably fit 2 other branches in alongside the B/C (although possibly only 1, depending on how things go at Park St). If you could somehow squeeze 40 tph through (plus add another 20-30 tph from Pleasant), then perhaps you could swing a total of 5 branches... but at reduced headways from current capacity. A more realistic ceiling for Boylston St Subway trains would be 30 tph -- which would drop five branches down to 10-minute headways, which I think is too low.

There will always be competition for slots to through-run to downtown. I would prioritize both a Harvard/Allston branch and an Oak Sq branch for such slots over a Grand Junction slot. Once you get past Cambridgeport, it's more direct to go downtown via the Red Line or via Lechmere than via Kenmore. (Which, btw, is what I was trying to show on the map in the post above -- Emerald services run from Park to Harvard, Oak, Boston College, and Cleveland Circle, while Green services through-run from Highland, Nubian, and Seaport to the northern branches, which include a Grand Junction branch that terminates in Allston.)

For sure there is good utility for a Kenmore-Grand Junction service -- but I think its usefulness drops off once it heads east of Kenmore, and therefore should be a short-turn service if at all possible. Save the slots in the Central Subway for services that aren't doubling back on themselves.

Yes, I think this is a valid assessment. I'm more pessimistic on modding the Loop for B access, and an unfortunate downside of the Loop is that it essentially introduces a single revenue track for any route that uses the boomerang. But it's a fair point -- the cost of the streetwork would be non-trivial.

Have to solve the problem of their pathological hatred of street running, wires, transit-lane enforcement, spending money, and building out transit, all at the same time. There's a reason this thread is basically Green Line-specific Crazy Transit Pitches; I think we can assume that the only way anything like this could ever get done is if there's a sea change in management at the state and MBTA level when it comes to LRT.

Alas, yes.

[second reply below due to char limits]

Last edited:
Well, today's E line already through-runs to Union Square and eventually to Medford... Though that's more of an operational issue (access to GLX yard). And agreed that in a world where more trains are added south of Park, the GLX (and possibly Chelsea) trains will likely prefer to be paired with Nubian and Seaport trains instead, and it would make sense to have today's E cut back to Park.

Yeah I see Heath-GLX runs as a "least bad option" situation -- yard access, as well as being a better choice than the B or C or a Brattle short-turn. That said, if the E can be more properly "rapid transit"-ified -- faster trains, level boarding, longer subway -- then it becomes a very strong candidate.

Another aspect to consider is the maintenance of relevant one-seat rides. In the case of GLX, the D and E were chosen particularly for one-seat rides to LMA, so you may want to through-run at least some Riverside or Heath St trains towards Somerville even in the long term. That, and the aforementioned operational issues, may throw a wrench into things.

Yes, this is another reason why Huntington trains would be a stronger candidate for through-running than Kenmore trains would be -- the ridership on the E Line is insane.

One thing I don't fully understand yet: Where do you envision the Kenmore-Mass Ave-Kendall trains to go east of Kendall? Turn back immediately at Kendall? Follow GJ to Lechmere and go down all the way to Brattle Loop (or even to Park and south)? Go north to Sullivan and maybe Chelsea?

As mentioned above, I see Kenmore-Mass Ave-Kendall ("Gold Line") trains running to Sullivan and Chelsea and possibly Airport; a separate service, as a branch of the "Green Line" would run Allston-Kendall-Lechmere-Downtown-points south. The Grand Junction really is actually two corridors meshed together: one is a north-south corridor that starts at Sullivan and lands somewhere around Kenmore, while the other is an east-west corridor that starts in Allston and lands at Lechmere. In my opinion, that second corridor is a better fit for running into the subway (in part because it is more of a radial service than a circumferential one).

Sullivan-Kendall-Kenmore has been identified as an Urban Ring corridor for years, and with good reason.

Another concern I have is with grade crossings. Mass Ave has 4 back-to-back traffic lights in the vicinity of MIT campus: Vassar St, 77 Mass Ave, Amherst St, and Memorial Dr. The only one I can possibly see being eliminated (at least for LRVs) is Amherst St, especially if you put both LRV lanes to the east. But even if you do that, this section of Mass Ave will likely still give unreliable performance.

*handwave* Transit priority signalling *handwave*

In all seriousness, yes, it's a valid concern. Like I mentioned, this would not have the capacity or reliability of a second Central Subway. I think with proper infrastructure, it could still provide useful service, but it would require careful planning.

Not sure if you were already aware of this, but Mass Ave Bridge (Harvard Bridge) was reconfigured last November and reduced to two lanes (one in each direction) in order to widen both bike lanes widened. This was implemented with (temporary?) traffic cones placed in the middle of what were originally the outer travel lanes, so not sure if it will be permanent. But it does show that:
- Reducing travel lanes on Mass Ave Bridge is doable, but
- Any further reconfiguration likely needs to ensure that bike lanes are wide enough.
What you proposed seems good to me if it's feasible, but that I'm not too sure.

I did not know about this! That is very encouraging. But yes -- not sure if it's clear in my Streetmix diagrams, but my proposed reconfig of the bridge calls for full width bike lanes in each direction (with physical separation from automobile traffic).

And -- I should call out -- even if we don't put LRT tracks on the Mass Ave Bridge, there should still be bus lanes.

Another reason for keeping that part of GJ is that IMO a station at Cambridgeport will actually see some demand. Several homes and apartments there, and it's just a bit too out of the way to RL stations. Might not be a major concern, and any location on the GJ will likely not be optimal, but still.

This might also make a direct Cambridgeport-BU-Kenmore-Central Subway connection a bit more justifiable, but again, not a major concern.

Yes, this is a good point, and even with a Mass Ave LRT option, I would still be in favor of an LRT route down to Cambridgeport. Eliminating that leg and running everything via Mass + Kenmore would be a less desirable alternative.

Was the "boomerang" about modding Kenmore to allow a B-C or B-D connection?

Yes -- provide access to the Kenmore Loop from the B Line, and enable Urban Ring circumferential services to run (for example) Kendall-Cambridgeport-BU-Kenmore-Fenway-Longwood-Brookline Village. If a B-Loop connection can be built, I'm in favor of that in order to provide short-turn capabilities. I'm still a bit on the fence about how useful a through-run service actually would be, but the infrastructure itself would be valuable enough for other reasons.

F-Line and I had a big back and forth about this a couple years ago (maybe 10 pages upthread? possibly before you opened your account, Brattle?). I think it's instructive to think of the core tunnels as "faucets" that supply trains out to the branches. The more branches you have, the bigger "faucet" you need to supply trains at adequate frequencies. If your faucet has a maximum capacity of 40 tph, and your service standard calls for 10 tph per branch, then you can have four branches. If you want to have six branches, you'll need a second faucet to supply the extra trains to keep your branch frequencies at 10 tph.

I recall that back-and-forth; I was lurking here a while before I started posting, but it has been a little bit since I re-read the details, so I appreciate the refresher.

Regarding Kenmore-BU-Cambridgeport: so there's a larger discussion here, actually somewhat related to the system-level analysis I gave you regarding the Park Loops. I should be clear that, absent an eastern approach, I'm completely in favor of a physical Kenmore-BU-GJ connection. It'll be a gamechanger, enabling generations of operational flexibility.

Yeah, I was very fuzzy on the idea of how much service would run from the Boylston subway via Kenmore to the GJ via Commonwealth, just that your map didn't show a connector and I thought that was something that could be useful even if it wasn't a regular service pattern. (Part of me wonders if it might be useful for 'recycling' trains Kenmore-GJ-Central Subway to temporarily boost service to Kenmore after Sox games by basically making a short circuit. At the very least the option would be available for any irregular operations that might require it.)

Thorough and fascinating posts, as ever, Riverside, and thank you for the response.

Yeah, I was very fuzzy on the idea of how much service would run from the Boylston subway via Kenmore to the GJ via Commonwealth, just that your map didn't show a connector and I thought that was something that could be useful even if it wasn't a regular service pattern. (Part of me wonders if it might be useful for 'recycling' trains Kenmore-GJ-Central Subway to temporarily boost service to Kenmore after Sox games by basically making a short circuit. At the very least the option would be available for any irregular operations that might require it.)

Thorough and fascinating posts, as ever, Riverside, and thank you for the response.

We could probably have a lot of fun coming up with unusual "Code Red [Sox]" service patterns to handle game day crowds. Yes, I think a temporary clockwise circuit could be valuable on game days for sure. And like I said, I definitely favor having the connector be there, and definitely favor Grand Junction service that terminates at Kenmore.

Regarding the general question of "how much" service, on any branch... a few interacting factors have led me to favor simplified routes, and try to avoid more creative "layer-on" service patterns. If you're just operating a couple of trains an hour along a specific service, then no one is going to plan to ride it specifically, and in effect you are just chaining together multiple short-turn overlay services. And if you're just doing that, you're better off actually short-turning them, to improve reliability.

And -- in my opinion -- the drop-off from "usable trustable service pattern" to "seems to appear randomly/infrequently" happens very quickly and with little transition. (Would you be willing to stand on a Cambridgeport platform for 15 minutes to wait for a direct train to Kenmore?) 10 tph is pretty clearly in the first category, and 4 tph (if mixed in with other services) definitely is in the second category.

In short -- if it's a through-running service pattern worth running, it's worth running at full or near-full frequencies. So I think it's unlikely that we'd see some of the "crazier" service patterns that would physically be possible: Park-Kendall Loop, Huntington-Nubian, Kenmore-Huntington-Park.

The only major exception I would cite is short-turns along a longer route (non-branching), particularly if the short-turn "lands" at a major transfer point. If, for example, a sizable fraction of your riders are transferring at Kenmore anyway, it's not particularly disruptive to journey planning to have the occasional short-turn; for those continuing on, it's less convenient to transfer to the next through-running train, but it doesn't require any revisions to their journey.

One potential alternative crossed my mind, although it is highly contingent... In a world where Storrow has been put on a diet, it's possible that the spaghetti of interchanges at Charlesgate will be simplified. If that does come to pass, then there might be opportunity to insert a new LRT ROW somewhere in there. Vague sketch:

View attachment 23295

Here I've drawn it on the western edge of the (former) interchange's footprint, although it may be preferable to utilize an alignment that is closer to the center of the footprint and further away from homes (e.g. the Beacon-to-Storrow-westbound onramp). But this would be completely dependent on whatever the heck is done with Storrow and Charlesgate. If it's all gonna get blown up, then perhaps there is opportunity.
Even if the interchange isn't going away, is it possible to build a viaduct over or near the interchange? A rough sketch:
1649641881732.png

Start the incline past Kenmore St right after the surface Kenmore station (take the median), and rise to "level 3" (a level above Charlesgate) before reaching Charlesgate W. Decline when reaching the lot between EB and WB of Storrow Dr, before joining Mass Ave at street level.

I haven't checked the curve radius and gradients yet, but doesn't seem to be an issue? This is obviously more expensive than street-running approaches, but with considerably more grade separation.

You can even build an elevated station at Kenmore if you hate street running as much as I do. Even more costly, and I'm not sure if there's space near the B/C/D portals for an incline, but this eliminates any concerns about road traffic especially during the games, and allows better integration with the bus terminal.

(Note: I think any approach using Charlesgate - even the one you originally proposed - can benefit from using Commonwealth rather than the narrow Beacon St.)

As mentioned above, I see Kenmore-Mass Ave-Kendall ("Gold Line") trains running to Sullivan and Chelsea and possibly Airport; a separate service, as a branch of the "Green Line" would run Allston-Kendall-Lechmere-Downtown-points south. The Grand Junction really is actually two corridors meshed together: one is a north-south corridor that starts at Sullivan and lands somewhere around Kenmore, while the other is an east-west corridor that starts in Allston and lands at Lechmere. In my opinion, that second corridor is a better fit for running into the subway (in part because it is more of a radial service than a circumferential one).

Sullivan-Kendall-Kenmore has been identified as an Urban Ring corridor for years, and with good reason.
Thanks, that cleared things up for me. For some reason, I always assumed the GJ LRT and Chelsea branch proposals wouldn't have a direct connection between these two branches, but would instead both be fed to Lechmere with a cross-platform transfer. All the discussions make a lot more sense now with the connection added.

Such an interchange at Red Bridge/Brickbottom will be extremely messy, but I suppose it might be doable. Note that GJ-Sullivan-Chelsea trains will not be able to transfer to Union Square, Medford and North Station trains, but I imagine there will almost certainly be GJ-Lechmere-subway and Chelsea-Lechmere-subway trains that solve the problem.

And -- I should call out -- even if we don't put LRT tracks on the Mass Ave Bridge, there should still be bus lanes.
I was actually surprised they didn't take this opportunity to create shared bus/bike lanes for the 1 bus. Either that was an oversight, or they couldn't because the lanes wouldn't be wide enough. If it's the latter, that's a bad sign: if the bridge isn't even wide enough to allow 4 lanes (2 travel lanes, 2 bus/bike lanes), it will definitely not be wide enough for 2 travel lanes, 2 bike lanes and 2 transit lanes (LRT/bus).

Yes -- provide access to the Kenmore Loop from the B Line, and enable Urban Ring circumferential services to run (for example) Kendall-Cambridgeport-BU-Kenmore-Fenway-Longwood-Brookline Village. If a B-Loop connection can be built, I'm in favor of that in order to provide short-turn capabilities. I'm still a bit on the fence about how useful a through-run service actually would be, but the infrastructure itself would be valuable enough for other reasons.
Aside from allowing alternative ways to get to Longwood (e.g. 2-seat rides from OL north and RL north) without flooding the downtown core, I can see another advantage of through-running Kendall-(BU or Mass Ave)-Kenmore-BV trains: In a world with D-E connector, such service might be the best way to keep Fenway and Longwood open without having to build the full southern Urban Ring as LRT (hard). As opposed to, say, turning back both the northern Urban Ring trains and Kenmore-BV "shuttle" trains at Kenmore, or running Kenmore-BV-Huntington-Park.

Even if the interchange isn't going away, is it possible to build a viaduct over or near the interchange? A rough sketch:
View attachment 23297
Start the incline past Kenmore St right after the surface Kenmore station (take the median), and rise to "level 3" (a level above Charlesgate) before reaching Charlesgate W. Decline when reaching the lot between EB and WB of Storrow Dr, before joining Mass Ave at street level.

I haven't checked the curve radius and gradients yet, but doesn't seem to be an issue? This is obviously more expensive than street-running approaches, but with considerably more grade separation.

You can even build an elevated station at Kenmore if you hate street running as much as I do. Even more costly, and I'm not sure if there's space near the B/C/D portals for an incline, but this eliminates any concerns about road traffic especially during the games, and allows better integration with the bus terminal.

(Note: I think any approach using Charlesgate - even the one you originally proposed - can benefit from using Commonwealth rather than the narrow Beacon St.)
I love the route and the concept, but I'm pretty sure any proposal for elevated rail in the Back Bay would be met with a NIMBY tsunami. Boston has an acute paranoia about elevated rail, unfortunately.

Even if the interchange isn't going away, is it possible to build a viaduct over or near the interchange?
I love the thought, but I agree with @Charlie_mta -- you'll run into a lot of NIMBYism. Plus, at that cost, I think a tunnel under the river would be worth considering. And while I see benefits to an eastern approach, I don't know that I see enough benefit to justify those kinds of costs.
Such an interchange at Red Bridge/Brickbottom will be extremely messy, but I suppose it might be doable. Note that GJ-Sullivan-Chelsea trains will not be able to transfer to Union Square, Medford and North Station trains, but I imagine there will almost certainly be GJ-Lechmere-subway and Chelsea-Lechmere-subway trains that solve the problem.
Yeah, Brickbottom is problematic in this sense. I'm in favor of a station on the Grand Junction between Cambridge St and McGrath Hwy, which could serve as a transfer point between GJ-Sullivan trains and GJ-Downtown trains. It's not perfect, but could be a good piece of the puzzle.

As for Union Square -- I actually propose a second "Gold Line" branch that runs (Airport-)Chelsea-Sullivan-Union-Porter(-Watertown-Newton Corner). There will be capacity on the Gold Line "trunk" between Sullivan and Chelsea (and probably justification for higher frequencies), and Porter and Newton Corner could become strong enough transfer points that a crosstown service would be useful.
Aside from allowing alternative ways to get to Longwood (e.g. 2-seat rides from OL north and RL north) without flooding the downtown core, I can see another advantage of through-running Kendall-(BU or Mass Ave)-Kenmore-BV trains: In a world with D-E connector, such service might be the best way to keep Fenway and Longwood open without having to build the full southern Urban Ring as LRT (hard). As opposed to, say, turning back both the northern Urban Ring trains and Kenmore-BV "shuttle" trains at Kenmore, or running Kenmore-BV-Huntington-Park.
Kendall-Mass Ave-Kenmore-Brookline Village was in fact one of the service patterns I was thinking about. I think it's less useful when run via BU though. The question of Kenmore-BV is an open one; I'm not super opposed to running it as shuttles, and I personally believe that robust BRT that serves LMA more directly is a better solution than running wraparound service via Fenway and Huntington.

These days, I tend to see Kenmore-Brookline Village in the context of the S Huntington services -- to Heath, Hyde Square, Arborwary, Jackson Sq and perhaps even beyond into Dorchester. For example, you could run dog-leg services Hyde-Huntington-Back Bay-Park/Seaport, and layer on an Arborway-Kenmore route. Lots of possible combinations. In the context of South Huntington services, BV-Kenmore can become a sort of "mini-subway"/trunkline, with useful transfer points at Brookline Village to east-west Huntington services, and at Kenmore to east-west Boylston services, the Blue Line, and north-half Urban Ring Gold Line services.

Back