Votes: 5 7.7%
  • 17. The Prudential

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 18. Four Seasons Hotel

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • 19. McGrath Highway

Votes: 13 20.0%

• Total voters
It sucks. It is a giant pus-filled boil on the the ass of city hall plaza. The best use of that hateful thing is to be broken down and redeposited as an artificial reef somewhere. Preferably far, far away.

It would ruin the sealife. No fish would want to swim by that. The seafloor interaction would be abysmal.

Storrow worse than Melena Cass? Really?

^ I would guess that a lot more people are familiar with Storrow than with Cass. :-/

Crisis averted with City Hall. Thank god.

I drive the Melnea Cass all the time. All it needs is some development along it. It's an extremely useful road. What exactly is wrong with it?

I drive the Melnea Cass all the time. All it needs is some development along it. It's an extremely useful road. What exactly is wrong with it?

McGrath Highway is approximately a million times worse than every other road nominated except for Storrow Drive.

Next year I'm nominating the CANA/Tobin ramps. The bridge is great, and useful no doubt, but I wonder how much cooler Charlestown would be without the ramps and with connectivity to the Navy Yard. Just no more Greenways please, omfg.

This:

Melnea Cass Boulevard, like the Southwest Corridor, is one of the after-effects of the massive demolition in the 1960s to make way for a planned highway connector through Boston. The highway plan was stopped in the early 1970s, largely because of intense citizen resistance-but the destruction was already wrought, leaving swaths of vacant land where homes and businesses once stood.

The wide boulevard, built in 1981, filled in one of the bulldozed paths. Running from Tremont Street near Ruggles Station to the Mass Turnpike Connector at Mass. Ave., Melnea Cass Boulevard is widely seen as highway-like, with fast-moving traffic, dangerous street crossings and little room for bicycles. The street’s width and location serves to separate Roxbury’s Dudley Square area from the South End and Lower Roxbury, creating a psychological, if not actual, barrier to movement between the areas for shopping, strolling or dining.

Next year I'm nominating the CANA/Tobin ramps. The bridge is great, and useful no doubt, but I wonder how much cooler Charlestown would be without the ramps and with connectivity to the Navy Yard.

Those loop ramps replaced something much worse -- an elevated interchange on top of City Square.

I voted for Melnea Cass, but I do think it has potential, just very unrealized. Part of the critique you quoted is no linger valid, as it has an off road bike path. Datadyne is right that much can be corrected by a filled I street wall, which is indeed beginning to form. What I really want, after that is a light rail line. It has potential. Right now, though, it is definitely shame worthy.

Back