Hall of Shame

Status
Not open for further replies.

briv

Reaction score
Members are encouraged to nominate an existing building, park or piece of infrastructure in the Boston area that they believe diminishes the built environment. These possess attributes that should not be replicated and should serve as a model for what not to do in future projects.

There will possibly be three* new inductees.

Previous inductees:

South Bay Shopping Center
Storrow Drive
Symphony Towers

Bowker Overpass (Charlesgate)
South Bay Interchange
Harbor Garage

Boston City Hall Plaza
Midtown Motel
Tremont on the Common

Tip O'Neill Building
Congress Street Garage
Methunion Manor

*In the past we've inducted three new Hall of Shame entries each year. It may be time to cut that number to two or even one, depending on your feedback.

some suggestions:

Warren Towers
McCarthy Overpass
Landmark Center
whatever that tall building with the Middlesex Sheriff's Dept is called
Melnea Cass Blvd (compare the area to the historic aerials)
MSPCA and other large black holes cut out of the city
Charles River Park/West End

Landmark Center? Why?

I'm guessing because of the parking lot in front, but that alone is no reason whatsoever to put the Landmark Center in the Hall of Shame. It has great street retail along Brookline. It was a fantastic rehab project, most notable for its stunning interior atriums that were carved out of the massive floorplates.

As for Landmark Center, I was walking along Park Drive with my friend one time and he remarked that "this reminds me of walking in New Jersey." Hence, Hall of Shame.

The MSPCA is in JP.

Have you ever walked there? It's a massive blank wall for no apparent reason, carving out a huge chunk of the neighborhood.

These possess attributes that should not be replicated and should serve as a model for what not to do in future projects.

Have you ever walked there? It's a massive blank wall for no apparent reason, carving out a huge chunk of the neighborhood.

Yeah, my post originally had more to it. The second sentence was about how it deadens that side of S Huntington, but it's really not that bad.

Constitution Center
Winthrop Square garage
Former HoJos in Kenmore square
One Beacon
Bowker overpass

Can I nominate the Greenway for this too?

While we're at it, how about the entirety of the Pike Extension, with its scandalously undeveloped air rights?

You're going to need a better argument than "someone else said it looked like New Jersey".

I still think there should be a rule something like "nominations must have been completed at least 10 years ago" to keep knee jerk reactions to projects from ending up here.

After saying that, here are my perennial nominations:
*Mass Eye and Ear
*Harbor Towers

- Commonwealth Avenue through Allston/Brighton... what a f****ng mess!
- The Registry/Meter Maid Dept. at Massport
- D'Angelo's Fenway (corner of Boylston & Brookline Ave). The sidewalk just disappears, no greenery around it--they should just build the flatiron there already.

- D'Angelo's Fenway (corner of Boylston & Brookline Ave). The sidewalk just disappears, no greenery around it--they should just build the flatiron there already.

+1 I just laugh at how bad it is everytime i drive by.

Collectively, every single property and unit of the Boston Housing Authority.

The "Surface Artery" between South Station and Chinatown. I mean, not only is it an urban abomination, but at the very least give it a real name.

Boston walk signals

Silver Line Waterfront

BCEC

The Pike extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back