Hamilton Co. Apartment Bldg | 1085 Boylston Street | Fenway

Re: 1085 Boylston Street Development

No way anything tall could rise on this site--it's only 50 feet wide!

Great project for the site. A few years from now, it will be in the process of being ravaged by college students.

This is directly adjacent to a site where I believe Millennium Partners was going to build a 50 or 60 story building over the Pike on Mass Ave in 1999 or 2000.

To that end, how long before some hack comes in here and complains that there should be something tall on the site?

The latest plan for the parcel directly adjacent was a much smaller scale air-rights project. Nothing super impressive, but it would have made the intersection completely different for the better. MassDOT spiked it on a technicality.

It took some digging, but here it is. Wham! Right there on Mass Ave. The neighborhood people went nutso over it. Probably a bit too ambitious for the site, but would have looked great coming in on the Pike.

boylston_square_east.jpg

The neighborhood was in unanimous support of this project as a way to step down from Parcel 12 and restore the streetwall.

It's one of Harold Brown's projects and given how restrictive Hamilton's gotten in vetting potential leaseholders (you essentialy need a perfect credit score I'm told) I doubt it will be wrecked. I have my reservations about what he's doing to the Boston rental market but he's the lesser of all the evils when it comes to Boston landlords.

The neighborhood was in unanimous support of this project as a way to step down from Parcel 12 and restore the streetwall.

It's one of Harold Brown's projects and given how restrictive Hamilton's gotten in vetting potential leaseholders (you essentialy need a perfect credit score I'm told) I doubt it will be wrecked. I have my reservations about what he's doing to the Boston rental market but he's the lesser of all the evils when it comes to Boston landlords.

I'm surprised there isn't a thread yet here on the "education" or "evolution" of Harold Brown. Either way, readers here will recall that he warned quite plainly in a speech that the BBJ quoted some months ago that rent control might resurface again if landlords keep jacking rents...

From across the Pike:

8734576488_9c6ec07fdc_b.jpg

It may be tough...but my building here is probably only 30 ft at its widest point and 20 ft wide as the norm, and it's 25 stories.

There are some ultra-thin buildings in Hong Kong too which are 50+ stories, so it's certainly not impossible.

I'm fully aware it's possible to build tall and slender, but that's Hong Kong and NYC....not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Boston & São Paulo are roughly the same size :)

Touché, Mr. Mac!

Time to raid the BRA docs and see what this thing'll look like.

88ez.jpg

07je.jpg

c2f0.jpg

ydjv.jpg

Re: This project, what I think is interesting is that there hasn't been any conversation in the press about Harold Brown and how his "foundation" is building this while his buildings down the street and around the corner were used by him to squeeze out tenants so he could turn them into condos (in the 1980s). Or do I have my facts wrong?

Anyone know of any definitive articles/stories about Mr Brown's storied past?

His wife is a very nice lady.

Not sure if you are making a joke or being serious. I'm sure both are nice people.

Couldn't help thinking of this though.

eva-braun-1.jpeg

Back