Hanover St "Tower" | 244 Hanover St | North End

Re: Hanover St Tower

So why did this project fail?

In streetview, construction is just as far along as Jass' picture but the streetview is probably from the summer, if not spring. And in the streetview, there is a sign up that says "246 Hanover Street" and has some details which cannot be read. In Jass' picture, we can see where the sign used to be and has been removed, leaving an exposed plywood square behind.

Woops, moving to the right makes the sign more legible.

Address: 244-246
. . .
Mixed Use Residential and Commercial (with a fucking garage at first floor?)
Developer: *cannot see*
. . .
Anticipated Completion Date: *looks like "Summer 2010"*

The 45 degree google aerial image shows the property is quite large in the back, and they are/were digging a very large garage.

The mad car-ification of Boston continues. Can everyone see the pattern emerging here?

So apparently there is absolutely no street in this city, no matter how pedestrian oriented and busy, off-limits to auto garages. I thought the Archstone's garage entrance on Washington St and Avalon's proposed garage entrance on Stuart were awful, but this is absolutely ridiculous. Placing a garage here and bringing cars onto the one the busiest sidewalks in the city is fucking sacrilegious. Is this what Kairos Shen believes constitutes "Boston's DNA"?

Briv, sems to me that a couple of times I've parked in Manhattan near the area of the NYAC -- the parking was accomplished by sharply turning to a narrow driveway, through a door which opened and down a ramp (although there was parking above street level as well0

I think most would consider that area of Manhattan to be Urban

Since cars are parts of cities and will remain so for the forseable future -- you have to make a place for them to travel and more importantly to park -- they can either turn off a street and park in a lot (bad), garage (bad) or park on street (generally insufficient in capacity). The alternative of covers sliding open and ramps appearing in the middle of a travel lane doesn't really exist as an option. In addition -- most buildings need a parking area availbale for loading and unloading trucks - such a loading dock also has to be readily accessible from a street.

What determines the anti-pededestrian extent (speaking as an experienced pedestrian) is the amount of the facade devoted to cars versus that devoted to people and passing pedestrians. An unbroken bunch of big garage entrances (e.g. a Firestation) is unpleasant to cross in front. Big blank institutional wall such as the Tip Oneil Federal Building, some university buildings and even the Johnson addition to the BPL are similarly uninviting.

In my view -- Probably the best solution to the parking / loding dock situation is to devote some streets to become essenially utilty streets -- aka alleys -- with all the garages, emergency exits and loading docks clustered and arranged for maximum convenience of motor vehichles -- where no self respecting pedestrian would expect much to excite them.

There is one big difference between Boston and Manhattan. Manhattan does not have alleys.

There is one big difference between Boston and Manhattan. Manhattan does not have alleys.

Boston only has service alleys in Back Bay, and some streets in Fenway and South End. Most of the alleys in the North End are front doors.

First Filene's moves forward, now this... What's next? South Station Tower? Columbus Center?

Could be such a great project without the garage. Doesn't need a garage. Shouldn't have a garage. Such a waste of prime street front.

I have seen many a garage turned into retail space. see: The Garage in Harvard square.

sluggishness
17114241411_3e3b513936_b.jpg

There doesn't seem to be any official information on this development in this thread. Could someone please provide details, link, renders, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Interesting.

Bought for $1.1 million, according to the Suffolk County Registry of Deeds website. Buyer was Compass Realty. Looks to be a medium-size developer, locally owned. No Boston projects to date; did a couple hotels nearby. (Not suggesting this would be one ...)

Took out 2 mortgages last year - $14.6 m and $14.7 m. So, looks as though they'll be building something. Is there activity onsite?

How odd that Google Maps hasn't updated Hanover St since 2014.

Seems like a great.spot for a.hotel.

getting permitting on this parcel is going to be that much more difficult now that it's turned into wetlands

(drain the swamp?)

34390875003_6c9bc96b72_b.jpg

Combination urban jungle and climbing wall.

That's really bad news for property owner if it's actually declared wetlands.

i was just being sarcastic

(though lurking in the muck, maybe there's a new species of frog that subsists on pizza crusts and arancini crumbs)

Back