Harbor Garage Redevelopment Pontificating | Waterfront

Status
Not open for further replies.
539w.jpg

^^^^From 2009, once again proving the adage that you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

^^^^^
You must work for CLF or consult for them.
Keep telling yourself that the garage is a better option for the public than the developer proposal.

Let’s have a vote in archboston.
Chiofaro/Pru original proposal
Or
The garage

What is the better option for the public?

^^^^^
You must work for CLF or consult for them.
Keep telling yourself that the garage is a better option for the public than the developer proposal.

Let’s have a vote in archboston.
Chiofaro/Pru original proposal
Or
The garage

What is the better option for the public?

Either Chiofaro is trying to be wickedly clever with an attempt at a pun, or he or his sign painter have a poor grasp of English usage, or he is being a true spendthrift by refusing to pay for more than nine letters, and one line (was previously four).

Amazing fight for A decade with the developer by the city, state, harbor tower residents, now by CLF to save this concrete garage for the public.

All these groups are looking out for the best interest for the public.
Please enlighten me where CLF was concerning the entire fan pier project which the public went from 100% open space to 25%?

Shirley Leung profiles the new head of the New England Aquarium, and is impressed.

A few excerpts with respect to mentions of Chiofaro and the Harbor Garage in the article.

Meet Vikki Spruill, New England Aquarium’s new chief executive, and all you can think about is this: Don Chiofaro may have finally met his match.
Spruill has only been at the aquarium for a few weeks, but Chiofaro has been eager to talk to her. The two are set to meet at her Milk Street office on Monday.
….
The question no doubt on Chiofaro’s mind is what would it take to be good neighbors again.

Spruill is not ready to show her hand.

“It’s very challenging to be specific when we haven’t seen a plan,” she said.
…..
The committee wanted to find someone who could work with the philanthropic and scientific communities as well as navigate local politics.

“She literally checked all the boxes,” said Burton, who is a lawyer at Mintz Levin. “We wanted to capture someone who is able to take the aquarium into the next 50 years of its existence.”

Spruill seems up to the task.

Chiofaro, who played football at Harvard, might want to put his helmet on.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...-right-time/m4nBMpkuE8KZAs1aa9uNxL/story.html

I think we should give more taxpayers money to GE, Liberty Mutual, Fan Pier developments and let the Garage sit as a symbol of the city of Boston development process for bettering the city.

A long-term decision is coming for this garage. It will be to keep and build on top of the garage which will be disastrous for the public or the developer's proposal.

This says it all in the article

" Since the developer bought the garage in 2007, the aquarium has had three CEOs and two interims."

"Protecting the ocean and saving the planet is probably more important than whether Chiofaro gets to build the tower he wants."
Yeah-- the development to knock down harbor garage is going to ruin the planet.

So basically the Board of Directors is getting pressured concerning the developer vision to knock out the garage and create the Blueway vision for the Aquarium.

That's the way this sounds to me. This is sickening if that is the case.
So these CEO's are just puppets to their billionaire masters concerning CLF, Aquarium, and other non-profit agencies.

But its all for the public right? Gotta save the planet right?

Hostetter’s Barr Foundation has financed groups that are trying to tone down most of the major development projects planned near Boston Harbor, including a 22-story tower called 150 Seaport in South Boston and Don Chiofaro’s massive complex near the aquarium. Hostetter himself has joined hundreds of neighbors to lobby officials against a hotel planned for the end of Lewis Wharf, where his office remains to this day.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2017/02/14/barr/CFx85YaZbIdYolE9Vv7aYK/story.html

Thank God we have this great American to save the planet and not pay any fair share of his net worth into actual taxes. Let me sum up the bold print. Until I die--Nothing is getting built and I will use unlimited amounts of money to stop economic progress because I don't want to deal with the construction in the area but call it protecting the environment. Billionaires should be paying their fair share of tax money or they game the system like everybody else.

Last edited:
Fantasy Central Wharf Tower with no offical proposal | 270 Atlantic Ave | Downtown

pnf imminent?

i like how you can make out the Congress St Garage, TD Garden and GG towers....

Did Marty Walsh just....

By Tim Logan GLOBE STAFF OCTOBER 18, 2018

Eagle-eyed observers of Mayor Martin J. Walsh’s Wednesday speech on climate change at a Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce breakfast may have noticed in his PowerPoint presentation something they’ve never before seen: The skyscraper that developer Don Chiofaro wants to build on the site of the Boston Harbor Garage.

But there it is, included in a few slides about proposed improvements to the downtown waterfront — the image of a sculpted tower soaring 600 feet above Central Wharf and the New England Aquarium. The kind of building that would make quite a mark on the downtown skyline.

It has been years since Chiofaro shared any images of what his long-delayed tower might look like, even amid seemingly endless debate about its height and mass. The closest he has come to a reveal was in June, when he released an image of a plaza below it — his take on the Aquarium’s “Blueway” open space. In it, just a slice of the tower’s lower floors are visible. At the time, Chiofaro said more images, and a formal proposal, would come by the end of summer. That’s yet to happen.

So when Chiofaro’s tower popped up in Walsh’s presentation, it attracted attention. Many developers run ideas past City Hall before airing for public consumption. Perhaps Chiofaro had shared his tower with the Boston Planning & Development Agency, and it wound up in a slideshow. Was this the tower design we’ve been waiting to see?
contd

Globe goes on to explain it's just some type of temporary place setter.

Interesting, it appears to show an office component for the lower floors.

Last edited:
Re: Central Wharf Tower | 270 Atlantic Ave | Downtown

I'm sure plenty of people here noticed it yesterday when the WBUR link was posted.

I made mention of it over here.

It's not real until the money's on the table. I'd love to know what the insurance premium will be on an underground garage at this location...

Here is the link to the Globe clickbait for certain AB posters.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...arbor-tower/Gx1BI56IDuevPJr3tZZ6jL/story.html

The relevant paragraphs in the article
It’s just theoretical, based on what’s allowed on the site under its new zoning, said BPDA spokeswoman Bonnie McGilpin. BPDA staffers inserted the image, sculpting and all, to give a sense of what might come. But it’s just a rough sketch.

“The images are supposed to be what the future will look like,” McGilpin said, noting that they include other planned, but not-yet-permitted, projects at Suffolk Downs and in South Boston.

As for the sketch, it does not place the tallest portion in the southwest corner (which is where BPDA said any 600 foot height would have to be) and it does not appear to provide the 50 percent open space under Chapter 91. The sketch is a more muscular building than what would be allowed.

Actually, the Aquarium is now a park? Also, a new South Station tower and new Charlestown / North Washington Street bridge! They should include the stadium at Widett Circle just for kicks.

Actually, the Aquarium is now a park? Also, a new South Station tower and new Charlestown / North Washington Street bridge! They should include the stadium at Widett Circle just for kicks.

That was actually what I noticed - the new building that's assumed for the Aquarium. I think the reduced size of the Wharf with the little park has been proposed before, but the Aquarium hadn't suggested a completely new building.

That's a big imposition for the City to make on a non-profit.

EDIT: Never mind - they're showing this:

https://www.cbtarchitects.com/project/new-england-aquarium-central-wharf-master-plan

Re: Fantasy Central Wharf Tower | 270 Atlantic Ave | Downtown

^Cool. They show the IMAX gone and the footprint of the garage greatly reduced. That footprint appears to be similar to what is shown in Marty's sketch. The sketch also has the expanded pier, but not the Aquarium buildings. I'll bet there has been some backroom negotiations and that tower massing is correct.

Re: Fantasy Central Wharf Tower with no offical proposal | 270 Atlantic Ave | Downtow

The New England Aquarium needs a large expansion and overhaul.

Re: Fantasy Central Wharf Tower with no offical proposal | 270 Atlantic Ave | Downtow

Support is not the issue here. Infinite funding is the issue here.

Yes, that's my point. Perhaps Barr Foundation could step up to the plate?

Yes, that's my point. Perhaps Barr Foundation could step up to the plate?

Are you serious who do you thing is funding the opposition group vs Chiofaro from building the tower in the first place?

In the drawing its like they might be anticipating the Aquarium might possibly be relocating from the area?

I merged the threads. We don't need two different threads of wild speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back