Harvard - Allston Campus

Re: Dunkin Donuts is a local landmark!?

stellarfun said:
Without seeing the full text of the actual letter, there seems to be a bit of inherent contradiction; e.g., build a world class museum but make it small.

I think he/they are saying that the site where they're planning to put the building is too small to accommodate the world-class museum that he envisions. Harvard seems to have avoided using such lofty language when describing the museum, but apparently he's gotten the idea that it'll be world-class.

I would think that a gallery alone would be a great thing for Barry's Corner. The neighborhood task force may end up regretting playing hardball here, especially if Harvard cancels plans to expand their museum infrastructure in Allston.

According to the Project Notification form, the site is 72,500 sq ft and was formerly a Verizon garage. The new museum will have three stories (and 90,000 sq ft) above ground, and a 45,000 sq ft basement. Part of the third floor roof area will be an outdoor sculpture garden.

The lead architect is Daly Genik from Los Angeles. They've recently done a similar sized art building for the ArtCenter College of Design in Pasadena.

http://www.dalygenik.com/#

Renderings next month; preliminary floor and site plans are included in the project notification form.

The Globe said:
Harvard vision not what neighbors see

Say arts center spoils plan for Barry's Corner
By Billy Baker, Globe Correspondent | February 18, 2007

Harvard University calls it an art center. North Allston residents call it a glorified warehouse.

The ongoing debate over Harvard's plans for expansion into the North Allston neighborhood turned into a battle of rhetoric Monday night as the university presented its preliminary proposal for a 130,000-square-foot art facility at 224 Western Ave.

At a community meeting in the St. Anthony's School auditorium, Harvard officials painted a picture of a vibrant new arts center for Barry's Corner -- the intersection of North Harvard Street and Western Avenue that is the heart of the North Allston neighborhood -- while neighbors questioned the university's contention that the facility would have substantial benefits for the community and contended that it was an art warehouse disguised as a museum.

In January, Harvard submitted to city officials a 50-year plan for its Allston expansion , including an amendment to its master plan to allow for new science and art centers. Harvard would like to begin construction this year.

Many of the 160 people at the meeting expressed concern over the site for the art center, saying that it flies in the face of previously defined goals for Barry's Corner .

The North Allston Strategic Framework for Planning , a document that was created through a multi-year collaboration between the community, city , and Harvard officials, called for Barry's Corner to be the home to 200,000 square feet of new, neighborhood-focused retail.

Harvard's preliminary plan calls for collections, conservation , and public space to each occupy a third of the building. The public space would include a 14,000-square-foot gallery, a cafe, a bookstore , and a multi-purpose room, as well as classrooms and staff dedicated to a public education program for the North Allston community.

The chief purpose of the facility, according to a presentation by Thomas Lentz, director of the Harvard art museums, is to bring together the university's vast art collection and allow for "close, intimate encounters" with the works.

The Harvard Allston Task Force, a community group that was formed to monitor the Harvard expansion, circulated a document at the meeting stating that while it supports the idea of Harvard museums and cultural facilities coming to Allston, the proposed arts facility was the wrong choice for Barry's Corner.

"This is not how you design a great city," said Harry Mattison , a task force member. "Harvard owns plenty of land , and there are better places for this building. Barry's Corner is supposed to be a retail hub for the neighborhood. We're not going to get that with a gift shop and 20-by- 30 cafe."

Kevin Daly of Daly, Genik Architects , the firm that is handling the project, said the arts center was designed to be a landmark and destination for the community and university.

"The fact that it's on the periphery of the neighborhood gives a catalytic power to the whole development," he said.

The preliminary design calls for a tiered structure, ranging from a height of 60 feet , where it would abut Harvard Business School's Teele Hall, to 35 feet , where it would abut a string of houses on Franklin Street . Daly said the rectangular building was designed to reduce shadows on the neighborhood while allowing for a grand entranceway with minimal frontage on Barry's Corner.

Comments and questions about the outline for the art center proposal must be submitted by March 2 to Gerald Autler of the Boston Redevelopment Authority, at Gerald.Autler.bra@cityofboston.gov.

This is a preliminary step in the city approval process. Harvard will then be required to submit a more detailed proposal to the BRA before the project can proceed. Details of the Harvard plan are available at allston.harvard.edu.

Billy Baker can be reached at ciweek@globe.com
? Copyright 2007 Globe Newspaper Company.[/b]

So, like, why can't Harvard just move around the museum? They've got the land!

Barry's Corner Art Gallery Decision Postponed

from today's Globe
Harvard art gallery project put on hold
Residents want more say on plans

By Hailey Heinz, Globe Correspondent | March 1, 2007

Harvard and Boston Redevelopment Authority officials said last night that they would hold off on plans to build an art gallery in Allston, after local residents and politicians spoke against the proposal and expressed concern that they have been left out of the decision-making process.

At an Allston-Harvard Task Force meeting at St. Anthony's School, residents insisted Harvard finalize plans on a proposed 695,000-square-foot science complex before it begins pushing the art project.

"They need to get one shovel in the ground, so to speak," said Jerry McDermott , a city councilor who spoke at the meeting. "People are saying, 'time out.' "

The science complex is proposed for Western Avenue near Charlesview Apartments. Although most community members who spoke last night said they supported the idea of such a complex, if not the specifics, some contended that proposed features such as a child-care center and a gym would be open only to the Harvard community.

Although the science complex has been a bone of contention, the sticking point last night was a proposed 135,000-square-foot art storage facility and museum, which would house art during renovations to the Fogg Museum in 2008 and eventually become a permanent facility.

Although residents were not opposed to a gallery, many said the location, near Barry's Corner, was poor and the community had not been sufficiently consulted, especially so close on the heels of the science complex proposal.

Harvard has been buying Allston land in bits and pieces over the past decade. Throughout the process Harvard officials have been meeting with residents to devise ways to expand their campus with minimal impact on local life. Harvard would like to break ground on the science center as early as this summer.

After last night's meeting, Gerald Autler , the BRA project manager working on the issue, said plans for the art building probably will be postponed, at least until more progress is made on the science center.

"The idea is to put discussions on hold . . . until we've had a chance to flesh out the science complex," Autler said. "There's a broader consensus -- not 100 percent, but a broader consensus -- on the science complex."

Kevin McCluskey , Harvard's director of community relations, was also at the meeting and agreed that gallery talks would be postponed. "We've asked the community to digest a lot," he said. "We will be putting the art discussion back at least a few months, answering key questions with the science project."

Despite the concessions, some community members left the meeting dissatisfied.

"It's not necessarily that this was even the wrong site or the wrong building," said Harry Mattison , a member of the task force. "Harvard has excluded the community from day one."

Like Mattison, McDermott said Harvard has the resources to enhance Allston, but the community must be involved in the process. "This will change the community dramatically and forever," McDermott said.

Re: Barry's Corner Art Gallery Decision Postponed

Kevin McCluskey , Harvard's director of community relations, was also at the meeting and agreed that gallery talks would be postponed. "We've asked the community to digest a lot," he said. "We will be putting the art discussion back at least a few months, answering key questions with the science project."

Heh, McCluskey is one of my professors at BU. He tries not to talk too much much about this project in class but I've talked to him about a little bit after class. I don't want say too much and get him in trouble* but I think it is safe to say he is 'frustrated'.

*"I read on on the internet that that Harvard guy said...blah, blah, blah"

stellarfun said:
from today's Globe
Although most community members who spoke last night said they supported the idea of such a complex, if not the specifics, some contended that proposed features such as a child-care center and a gym would be open only to the Harvard community.

Since when does Harvard owe the community free day care. Columbus Square is also suppose to have day care. Don't have a kid if you have better things to do that raise it yourself.

statler said:

Heh, McCluskey is one of my professors at BU. He tries not to talk too much much about this project in class but I've talked to him about a little bit after class. I don't want say too much and get him in trouble* but I think it is safe to say he is 'frustrated'.

*"I read on on the internet that that Harvard guy said...blah, blah, blah"

Interesting. I had him as one of my professors well....hmm. I may very well know you.

PaulC said:
stellarfun said:
from today's Globe
Although most community members who spoke last night said they supported the idea of such a complex, if not the specifics, some contended that proposed features such as a child-care center and a gym would be open only to the Harvard community.

Since when does Harvard owe the community free day care. Columbus Square is also suppose to have day care. Don't have a kid if you have better things to do that raise it yourself.

for real!

PaulC said:
Where does the article say anything about "free" daycare? As for the second part of your comment, are you suggesting that people should only have children if one of the parents can stay home to raise the child? Anyone with children in daycare (either because of need or desire) shouldn't have a child? I think it's pretty unfortunate if you actually believe that.

Sorry to go off the topic, but there are certain things that I have trouble letting pass without comment.

I would say Harvard does owe things to the city because they don't pay taxes like you and I.

Scott said:
I would say Harvard does owe things to the city because they don't pay taxes like you and I.

Approximately half of the property in Boston is Tax-Exempt. Of all property within the city limits, only 2% is educational/medical property.

http://www.ci.boston.ma.us/bra/PDF/ResearchPublications//pdr_562.pdf

Some more investigation with that document suggests that MassPort (a state agency) is responsible for most of that tax-exempt land -- much of it for Logan Airport. If I take out the East Boston numbers (a rough approximation for removing the effect of the airport), its still 44% of the property that is Tax-Exempt.

Why should only Harvard be subject to revokation of its tax-exempt status? If only educational/medical property taxes are imposed in Massachusetts, would such an institution have a harder time competing for new projects (which bring money towards Boston)?

The "Harvard has money so we should ask it to support everything" canard is so tiresome.

^also, you forgot that Harvard and all the other educational institutions give Boston its life, without them the area would shrivel up and die, kind of like Detroit. They're the ones that bring biotech to the area, they're the ones that make Boston an official global city. I would say that's a pretty big contribution, but I agree that it would be nice if they provided something a bit more tangible as well.

ckb said:
Scott said:

Approximately half of the property in Boston is Tax-Exempt. Of all property within the city limits, only 2% is educational/medical property.

http://www.ci.boston.ma.us/bra/PDF/ResearchPublications//pdr_562.pdf

Some more investigation with that document suggests that MassPort (a state agency) is responsible for most of that tax-exempt land -- much of it for Logan Airport. If I take out the East Boston numbers (a rough approximation for removing the effect of the airport), its still 44% of the property that is Tax-Exempt.

Why should only Harvard be subject to revokation of its tax-exempt status? If only educational/medical property taxes are imposed in Massachusetts, would such an institution have a harder time competing for new projects (which bring money towards Boston)?

The "Harvard has money so we should ask it to support everything" canard is so tiresome.

Harvard pays Cambridge over $3 million annually in lieu of taxes, and MIT pays Cambridge over $1.5 million a year. As both Harvard and MIT have their own police forces, the most prominent city service these universities would be receiving (for which there is no fee) is the fire department.

I am quite sure that Harvard pays property taxes on the property it acquired in Allston which is currently not used for educational purposes.

palindrome said:
PaulC said:
stellarfun said:
from today's Globe

for real!

The concept design for this complex of science buildings includes space for a day care center. There is also street level 'retail' in at least one of the buildings, plus a proposed restaurant and separate bar. I assume the planned day care facility is for those working in the four labs that will be housed in the complex. I think there would be a legitimate community beef if Harvard was eliminating an existing day care facility in the course of developing its Allston property, and was not replacing that. But to otherwise argue that it ought to provide day care for Allston residents as a general pre-condition to building on its land is a stretch.

As for the gym, Harvard plans to demolish much of its current athletic facilities north of the stadium and build new undergraduate housing on that part of its property. New athletic facilities will be built to the south of the stadium. You can be certain that Harvard is not going to open up its new basketball court for locals to shoot hoops anymore than it does now.

Scott said:

Payments to the City of Boston in lieu of taxes by colleges and universities in FY 2007. I assume Harvard's payment is for its existing tax-exempt educational and athletic facilities in Boston.

Payments-in-lieu-of-taxes

School Fiscal 2007
Berklee College of Music $191,304
Boston College $261,397
Boston University $4,406,158
Emerson College $127,029
Harvard University $1,810,639
NE School of Law $13,125
Northeastern University $141,132
Suffolk University $295,340
Tufts University $135,582
Wentworth Institute $35,867

SOURCE: Boston Assessing Department
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ed...rticles/2006/11/07/payments_in_lieu_of_taxes/

^
Thanks, I was looking for that! All I could find was what Harvard paid to Cambridge.

lexicon506 said:
^also, you forgot that Harvard and all the other educational institutions give Boston its life, without them the area would shrivel up and die, kind of like Detroit. They're the ones that bring biotech to the area, they're the ones that make Boston an official global city. I would say that's a pretty big contribution, but I agree that it would be nice if they provided something a bit more tangible as well.

I didn't forget, but I think this line of reasoning is completely lost on the kinds of people who expect Harvard (or MIT, or BU, or ...) to forgo their tax exempt status, provide a day care center, etc. etc.

BostonMike said:
PaulC said:
Where does the article say anything about "free" daycare? As for the second part of your comment, are you suggesting that people should only have children if one of the parents can stay home to raise the child? Anyone with children in daycare (either because of need or desire) shouldn't have a child? I think it's pretty unfortunate if you actually believe that.

Sorry to go off the topic, but there are certain things that I have trouble letting pass without comment.

Why should Harvard have to supply a day care and gym usage to be allowed to build on their own land?

I'm not against day care i'm against people who think it's an entitlement - that Harvard has a responsibility to supply it.

as much as i dislike community interference with private development in general, there are a couple of things to consider.

one is that harvard has put up some terrible buildings, most of the worst, large. e.g. the Science Center (Land building?) on the far side of the yard, the admin building above Au bon Pain, the Admin building at Law on Mass ave, etc.

then too, whatever HU does is going to appropriate, for better or worse, a lot of public commodities -- surrounding property values (affordability in this case), common law right of way, views of buildings and across currently more or less open land, traffic patterns and public transit, small business economic viability, etc.

what HU as a corporation does has a massive effect on others. does it matter how much of that effect is good or bad? Does it have to be all of one or the other -- do we have to leave them alone or constrain them completely?

Also, i have to admit that HU tends to exclude their surroundings in multiple ways, even casually. E.g. walling off Radcliffe yard, Harvard yard's inward face, etc. hugely favoring on campus living (bad in my book, but i'm pretty much alone on that, i guess). i know kids who graduated from HU after four years that couldn't find their way to Beacon hill or the MIT flea market.

Providing facilities to their community without real inclusion of the larger Cambridge community has to be rough, even if it is perfectly reasonable behavior. I can speak from some experience on this one having graduated from UMB and HU -- i just can't warm up to that instution, but i envy the library that compares favorably in size to the National library of the UK.

got to wonder if the balance is right -- the taxes don't pay the bill for an origination of that size. the institution itself almost does. but it doesn't make up for future crap buildings that will probably get built (hopefully along with some great ones), if there is a chance to put reasonable pressure on the design now.

or am i wildly off base? :)

Back