Harvard - Allston Campus

The illustrations I posted aren't quads. They're public streets. The first is Western Ave, surely a logical place to designate for commerce and pizazz. The second is Rena St.

I don't think we should expect Harvard to want commercial streets coursing through every part of its new campus. There are plenty of streets on the Cambridge side of the river that are lined entirely by Harvard residential, academic, or museum buildings.

In any case, I was using pizazz in the sense of having style and flair, not in the sense of being active and energetic. In the first sense even a quad can have pizazz.

Maybe you could expand on this. Is the architecture not adventurous enough? Is there too little animation around the quadspace? The renderings certainly make these quads out to seem more exciting - both architecturally and urbanistically - than Harvard Yard itself.

At 3 or 4 stories its too tall ... its appearance is not monumental enough

I hope the same people weren't maintaining these two thoughts simultaneously...

This is a property ownership map for Barry's Corner. Its from the City of Boston and I assume its current; i.e., Harvard hasn't yet grabbed any more parcels.

I'm including it because some are worried about the sterility -- from a public standpoint -- of the Science I labs being built further east on Western Ave.

Color key: Red-orange is Harvard. The gray lot in the pentagonal parcel is a three story tenement. Yellow is commercial. Garabedian's lot is the CITGO station. Neither this parcel nor the one immediately below it are included in Harvard's master plan for Allston. But surely, if one were planning to build space for retail and neighborhood commercial businesses, these parcels would be the ones to focus on.

The dark blue are ball fields owned by the City of Boston. Harvard proposes to build a theater and museum complex in the pale green (teal?)parcel, where the Charlesview non-profit housing now is. (Charlesview would move to Harvard-owned land further west on Western Ave.)

The land being developed for Science I lab complex is out of frame right. The controversial museum & art storage building is to the left of the Davos property. The abutting neighbors who don't want museum visitors looking into their back yards live on the gray lots below the Davos lot.
SNAG-01547.jpg

Harvard building project stirs fear
Arboretum neighbors dread open space los
s

By April Yee, Globe Correspondent | June 27, 2007

ROSLINDALE -- Harvard's plan to build a 45,000-square-foot research facility next to the Arnold Arboretum has nearby residents dreading the disappearance of open space, and a handful hope they can stonewall, if not stop, the powerful university.

"It's sort of us against Harvard," said Frank O'Brien, whose grandparents bought a house next to the arboretum 70 years ago and who lives in a house on the same street. "Just because Harvard can do something doesn't mean it should do something."

Harvard wants to build a two-story brick-and-glass building to house the arboretum's administration and research at the base of a hill near the corner of Centre and Weld streets, on a 14.2-acre lot the university bought in 1922.

In the four years since Harvard announced its plans, residents have joined a city-appointed task force and thronged public meetings. The latest was Monday night, when more than 50 residents voiced their distress to a Harvard representative and to staff from the mayor's office.

While the plan is a small slice of Harvard's expansion into residential areas, residents who have closely watched the university's ongoing push into Allston say they are wary of the university's designs on land around the arboretum.

Councilor John Tobin echoed those concerns Monday night.

"Harvard's a tough customer, been there a long time and good at what they do," Tobin said in an interview at the meeting at the Knights of Columbus Hall in Roslindale. "You've seen them run roughshod over some of the communities in the city, and they're not going to do that here."

Harvard's director of community relations told residents nothing else would be built on the lot through 2882, the final year of Harvard's lease on the arboretum's 265 acres, which it negotiated with Boston in 1882.

"We have just, as a private property owner, placed a restriction on the use of our property for 875 years," Harvard's director of community relations, Kevin McCluskey, said in an interview yesterday. "Anyone who's unimpressed by that really needs to look more carefully at the situation."

But some residents doubt that Harvard will keep the promise, focusing on a clause in the university's master plan that would allow the Legislature's two houses to modify the restriction by a two-thirds vote.

Some neighbors believe that Harvard can finagle just such a political miracle, however unlikely.

The arboretum glitters on the Emerald Necklace, a 7-mile string of parks laid out before the turn of the century by architect Frederick Law Olmsted. The city maintains security and utilities; Harvard oversees the collections.

Harvard hopes to submit its final plan by August to the Boston Redevelopment Authority. If approved, the plan moves on to the zoning commission.

Yesterday afternoon, O'Brien hand-delivered a letter addressed to Harvard's president-elect, Drew Gilpin Faust, raising his "serious unresolved questions" and "grave misgiving" about building near the arboretum, private land that residents consider their backyard where they walk their dogs and where teenagers gather. He signed the letter: "Very Truly Yours, Weld Hill Woodlands Task Force."

That task force is only weeks old, and O'Brien is its only member, so far.

He grew up on Mendum Street, next to the arboretum. His grandfather walked the paths until the day he died, and in 1963 his parents bought the house where he lives today. O'Brien thinks that because Harvard is a tax-exempt nonprofit, it is obligated to uphold an informal covenant with the community.

"Harvard is not a private equity firm with an English Department attached to it," said O'Brien, 49, a landscape planner. "Harvard is not Donald Trump."

Harvard has reawakened distrust in residents like O'Brien, some of whom can remember when the city sold a public park adjoining the lot in question to an organization now called Hebrew SeniorLife, in the 1950s. O'Brien said his parents circulated a petition while living in a nearby apartment and, with the backing of concerned neighbors, offered to outbid the buyers. Their efforts failed.

After the sale, the Hebrew Rehabilitation Center was built in the park's place and opened in 1963. Now, residents fear that Harvard will not stop at constructing the research facility and will expand into other parts of its privately owned land.

After Monday night's meeting, grade-school teacher Lisa Evans drove home on Weld Street, facing Harvard's lot. She walked around the corner of the stone wall separating Harvard's land from the street, arriving at a chain-link side gate.

She hiked up a gravel path to the chest-high grass. "This is what a wonderful neighbor Harvard is," said Evans, 37.

When she was considering moving from Jamaica Plain in 2003, she heard of Harvard's plans to construct the facility.

Evans got the real estate agent to knock off "a big chunk of change," she said, then moved there anyway.

So....let me make sure I completely understand.

Harvard has owned the land they want to build on for 85 years, but have been generous enough in the mean time to allow the community free use of the property to let the neighbors let their dogs shit all over it, teenagers undoubtebly get high, and who knows what else......now, when they actually want to do something with THEIR OWN property, the neighborhood feels a sense of entitlement? No, you can't build, because you let us use it for free for 85 years? Are you fucking kidding me?

What about that last lady....she knew they wanted to build, used that knowledge to leverage a big discount and bought the property anyway, and now a couple of years later feels wronged? Do I live in an alternate reality from these people?

Harvard would have been better off building a huge junkyard 85 years ago, and then "redevelop" it now, then these idiots would never have developed their sense of entitlement.....ridiculous.

atlrvr said:
sense of entitlement

This is why we can't have nice things. You'd think that with such self high mindedness they would push for nicer parks or more trains.

An interesting point to note: Harvard scored a 1000 year lease on the arboretum 1880s, just like they did for their boathouse on the Charles. I believe the rent they pay for the boathouse is $1 a year, which is pretty good even though the property is hard by Storrow Drive. :) They probably got a similar sweetheart deal on the arboretum.

So, compare: in the 1880s, Boston virtually gave away land to Harvard, and in return the City got the Arnold Arboretum, and, I'd argue, a tradition of rowing on the Charles River. The City and Harvard looked down the road a thousand freaking years together. In essence, the city invested it's land with Harvard. I think it would be hard to argue that today we benefit from that foresight (compare, for example, the arboretum to the Franklin Park Zoo to see what we could have if the City, instead of Harvard, ran the arboretum), though I guess according to Counselor Tobin, constructing the arboretum could be an example of when Harvard ran roughshod over the neighborhood. Now, fast forward to the present and some chiseler of a City Counselor wants to stop Harvard from building on land that it has owned outright for 80 years. What a small-minded twit.

Harvard should sell this lot to Archstone Smith and use the proceeds to fence off the rest of the arboretum, lest any more neighbors get to thinking Harvard has a special covenant with them due to the fact that it's a 501(c)(3) in the eyes of the IRS.

Hopefully Harvard will be able to recreate some aspects of that would-be museum in Allston...

Boston/Cambridge etc. need a Dan Doctoroff to ream locals when the city's far and away best interests are at stake.

underground said:
Here's a great letter to the editor in today's Globe I thought you all might enjoy. www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial...les/2007/06/29/hey_neighbors_lay_off_harvard/

If anyone is interested, I emailed the author of that letter both thanking him for his common sense, as well as extending an invitation to post here.

Here is the reply I received earlier today.

Thanks for your note about my Globe letter. I have gotten some interesting feedback from the institutional liaison in the Boston city planning department. He assures me that the city is fully aware of the vital economic and cultural impact of education institutions, but that dealing with neighbors is a delicate matter that has to be gently finessed. Given the political constraints of his department, it is important that outsiders voice their pro-university development opinions.

In Cambridge, alas, it is not just nimbys with which one has to contend, but over-educated, under-employed, pseudo-Marxists, who have made Harvard the embodiment of capitalist oppression, against which they can score some piddling victories to avoid admitting their total obsolescence in society.

The only way we can change things is if busy people like you and I start going to community meetings and offer disinterested voices of reason.

Wow, that guy is the man! I want to meet this guy in person, I bet he could talk quite the intriguing conversation.

All respect to the guy for being on our side and making articulate arguments, but is there anything in the middle of nasty NIMBYism and nasty pro-development?

Somehow, calling people who oppose large-scale development in their backyards "over-educated under-employed pseudo-marxists," even if that wasn't what he wrote in the paper, doesn't speak well of the professor's ability to win over those who disagree with him. Calling people names isn't okay for adults, either.

When Lasell College ripped down all the hills in my neighborhood, built an ugly elderly housing complex on a pristine meadow, and constructed a never-ending string of out-of-scale identical dorms (literally, they even use the same blueprints), would I have been accused of being a pseudo-marxist for raising a reasonable objection? Lasell, like Harvard, owned the land in question, and they could do what they wanted, but there is a point at which even the most prestigious university has to be a good neighbor. I'm for development if it is done well and in the right place, and that place can be my backyard (or close to it), but I'm not going to sing a man's praises just because he seems to agree with me.

Equilibria said:
All respect to the guy for being on our side and making articulate arguments, but is there anything in the middle of nasty NIMBYism and nasty pro-development?
If there is, and if you've accurately articulated it, then you've demonstrated that that middle is a void.

Not having a point of view is not a point of view.

^ I wasn't implying that I don't have a point of view on Harvard, and in fact I wasn't saying anything about point of view at all. I support Harvard as strongly as I can without living in the neighborhood, and I very strongly oppose Lasell because I do live in the neighborhood.

What I was criticizing merely involved the way in which that opinion is expressed. As a person who has seen the neighborhood point of view and read a lot of opinion pieces in newspapers, I believe that no matter how interesting your argument, or how much we may agree with it, using insulting slurs to describe your opposition is not the best way to convince people.

Whether Harvard needs anyone's approval or not, they will need some good karma in the community. A neighborhood full of muttering enemies is not the best environment for an institution of learning, and since those neighbors will come to identify the professor's slurs with Harvard's position, that is exactly what Harvard is going to get.

I think 'equilibria' has the most constructive point of view on this board, ablarc. Being in the 'land use planning game' myself, nothing is worse, politically, than the unnecessarily antagonistic words of selfish people narrowly fixated on some agenda. It's a difficult process that people who hurl insults are best to stay out of. While this author's first round of comments was mostly constructive, I wish he knew better than to send emails around calling people pseudo-marxists (pseudo marxist, mind you, is a relatively light one, and just laughable really). Sadly, people like this define the process. They make my life a bit more exciting, but they also make me bash my head against a wall.

Let me remind you, just for the sake of argument, of the oddities of the "pro-development" perspective I see on this board. I think the argument goes something like this. "Development is good, if it looks like the Back Bay, and is in an already urbanized area." Now, most real estate developers in the United States would respond "God! What a bunch of NIMBYs!" - heh, sounds like a community meeting already.

1184233320_1370.jpg

A street of broken vows runs in Allston
Harvard slips on '97 improvement plan
By Marcella Bombardieri, Globe Staff | July 12, 2007

The asphalt sidewalk is marred by hazardous ditches and the occasional clump of weeds. The chain - link fence around the soccer field is a rusted, patched-up eyesore. Trees are sparse.

Welcome to the frontier of Harvard University's campus, North Harvard Street in Allston. A decade ago, Harvard pledged to replace the asphalt and fence and plant up to 52 trees here.

It never did.

The university had official reprieve from the city for many years and says it had good reasons to delay. Neighborhood activists never made much of a fuss about it.

Still, as Harvard prepares sweeping plans to remake this part of Allston over the next generation, some residents fear that the university's failure to take up one small beautification project for a decade represents a broader indifference to the community and to its own commitments.

"Is this a cautionary tale as we go forward?" asked Jeff Bryan, an Allston resident who has been active in neighborhood planning. "As we go forward with the commitments that are made today, will they slip through the cracks, as well?"

A Harvard official said that because the university's plans for Allston became more ambitious after that 1997 promise, Harvard envisions bigger, better changes to North Harvard Street. Harvard is now planning a 50-year expansion into Allston, expected to cost several billion dollars, with a science complex, arts facilities, student housing, and new homes for the schools of education and public health.

"We have never lost sight of the commitment to improve North Harvard Street," said Kevin McCluskey, Harvard's director of community relations, reading from a statement. He added that after years of planning with the community and city, there is a shared vision for "a much greater transformation and investment."

Recently, Harvard has talked about adding a two-way bike lane and a dedicated lane for a bus or shuttle ferrying passengers between Allston and Harvard Square. Nothing has been decided, and it is not clear when those changes would take place.

By the city's judgment, Harvard is one year late, not 10, said Susan Elsbree, spokeswoman for the Boston Redevelopment Authority.

A 2002 agreement between Harvard and the city noted that work on North Harvard Street had been delayed, pending wide-ranging neighborhood planning. Harvard agreed to carry out the improvements by July 1, 2006.

"We expect [the improvements] to be done immediately," Elsbree said last week. In a statement, the BRA added that Harvard has committed to far more extensive improvements of public space than those discussed in 1997.

McCluskey said Harvard would "take a much closer look" at short-term improvements on North Harvard Street. He would not directly address why it would not have been worthwhile to put in a better sidewalk or replace the rusty fence for the benefit of people who used the street over the last five to 10 years.

Instead, he provided a timeline of Harvard's collaborative work with the Allston community and a detailed description of recent plans to spruce up vacant properties owned by Harvard in the area, which neighbors are looking forward to. Apparently as part of that effort, some trees were recently planted along one university property on North Harvard.

Residents say they are pleased that Harvard is considering bigger improvements to the street, but several said they could not understand why the university would not buy some good will in the meantime.

"Whether Harvard develops a property in 10 or 20 years, they should take care of it right now," said Paul Berkeley, president of the Allston Civic Association. "These are not big-ticket items. Harvard can afford a few trees."

The city of Boston requires universities to sign formal agreements, called institutional master plans, that lay out their development ideas and the good things they will do for the city to make up for the disruption they cause.

Harvard's 1997 master plan predated its sweeping vision for an entire new campus in Allston. It focused on smaller projects, including the Harvard Business School campus center, the Spangler Center, and a graduate student dorm, One Western Avenue.

Among the good works promised were improvements to Western Avenue and North Harvard Street, which sandwich the school. While the timetable was vague, the document left the impression that the work would be completed within about five years of the 1997 agreement.

Harvard carried out the changes to Western Avenue. A 7-foot chain-link fence between the business school parking lot and the sidewalk was replaced with a grassy berm. Today, two rows of maple and locust trees rustle in the wind.

But 1997 was also the year that Harvard revealed that it had secretly purchased 52 acres in Allston. That news led to much wider-ranging efforts -- on the part of the university, city, and neighbors to sketch out what the future campus will look like and how it will change the city.

Several residents said they were so overwhelmed by the scope of Harvard's expansion plans that they took their eyes off smaller issues. "It was caught up in that maelstrom of all kinds of things happening," said Ray Mellone, a resident who has for years chaired task forces examining Harvard's plans.

Still, seeing action sooner rather than later would only help Harvard with its grander plans, said Brent Whelan, another task force member. "Taking down that fence would be a delight to all of us," Whelan said. "There are a lot of smaller things that would make us feel we have a better relationship, but they don't seem to want to do any of them."

Back