Harvard Business School's Tata Hall | Allston

GW2500

Reaction score
City approves Harvard's plan for $100-million Tata Hall in Allston
http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news...rvards_plan_fo.html?p1=HP_Well_YourTown_links

The city has approved Harvard University's plan to build a $100-million, seven-story building to be used primarily for housing on the Business School campus in Allston.

The proposed 150,000 square-foot Tata Hall was announced by the school last fall after the university received a $50-million gift to fund the new 180 dorm-style facility that will also include academic components.

The donation from India's Tata Group Construction is the largest gift from an international donor in Harvard Business School’s 103-year history.

Work on the building, set to begin in November, will employ 210 construction workers, and the facility’s completion, expected by late 2013, will lead to hiring of around 20 permanent workers, city officials said.

The arch-shaped stone and glass building on Soldiers Field Road will overlook the Charles River and provide housing for the Business School’s Executive Education program, which the city’s redevelopment authority described as “a short term business program that attracts business talent from around the world.”

“The $100 million state of the art project is an indication of Harvard’s commitment to its Boston campus, the Boston Redevelopment Authority said in announcing its unanimous vote Thursday night to approve the university’s plans.

The dorm rooms will be clustered into study group suites with kitchen facilities, several small auditorium-style classrooms and a common meeting space “to help building community among program participants,” the city said.

In late 2009, the university halted construction of a $1.4 billion science facility in Allston, subsequently causing strained relations with neighborhood residents, after the plummeting stock market ravaged the value of Harvard's investments.

This past spring, the university began work on its first major project since the science complex development stalled – a $20-million investment to convert a 78,000 square-foot building along Western Avenue into a laboratory for innovation and entrepreneurship.

Later in the spring, crews broke ground on Charlesview 2, a $207-million mixed-use project on land that Harvard had swapped previously with the complex’s owners.

The university made a "substantial cash payment" to cover the relocation costs for that project, which is being developed by The Community Builders, Inc. and financed through private debt, tax credits, and other funding, including a $106-million loan from the state’s affordable housing bank.

Earlier this summer, the school announced a new approach of dividing its ambitious plans into smaller projects and forming partnerships with outside developers and investors in order to build on its large mass of land holdings in Allston, where some residents have remained skeptical of the school that has failed in multiple instances to live up to its promises to the community in recent years.

In recent months, the school has been working to sign leases at vacant retail and commercial properties it owns in Allston. In June, Harvard swapped some of its Allston land with the Skating Club of Boston. And, in early July, the university opened Library Park, which, for some Allston residents, was a step toward renewing their faith in Harvard’s commitment to the neighborhood.

Re: Allston-Brighton Developments

HHHHHHHaaaaahvdhs just one problem:

Location, Location, Location

No one in any of the desired departments / research programs in Cambridge wans to move and you can't reasoably spread out over that distance the offices / classrooms and labs -- hence the new construction North of the Sq. while Alston sat waiting

Haaaahvds best bet is to try to entice some of the Longwood folks not involved in clinical meds to move to Alston

But that's there problem for not buying in Cambridge the way MIT did when it forsaw the need for future land.

Harvard can spread out if it buildings an internal transit system to quickly move people around campus. Unfortunately no one has seen the value of bus system, tram system, or a monorail to the functioning of campus.

This seems such an odd thing. I don't know the ins and outs of Harvard and stuff, but it sure looks like this guy wanted to give $100 million but only for one thing and they had no choice but to say, sure, why not? I assume they would have preferred it go toward something they really wanted / needed?

I recall reading somewhere that the donation was specifically for housing for the b-school, primarily for the purpose of housing international students, which may make sense considering where the donation came from.

I moved this discussion out of the Harvard Allston thread.

tatahall.jpg

^ that reminds me of the box compactor from when i worked at staples. you press a button and the top slowly crushes everything inside.

I love renderings sometimes. From this one it would appear they are also going to brick over soldiers field road to allow for planters, tables and two guys listening to a girl... sing hymns?

Silly rendering aside, the architecture is pretty blah, however it looks better then all the other stuff they have built south of it. I have walked around the business school a few times and I'm sure once its landscaped it will settle into the background and be quite pretty.

On a side note - what ever happened to that announcement they were returning to neo-georgian architecture? Perhaps the Titt... I mean Tata group mandated it be unique?

Harvard can spread out if it buildings an internal transit system to quickly move people around campus. Unfortunately no one has seen the value of bus system, tram system, or a monorail to the functioning of campus.

I believe Harvard has a bus system, however they have also been planning a subway for quite a while. When Harvard Square station was rebuilt in the 80s the tunnels to the old yards where the JFK school now is were left intact. There are some pictures online, its a huge space, and its accessed easily through a nondescript door on one side of the station.

From there they very intentionally left that large swath of land open between buildings giving them a straight shot across the river to the north side of the stadium. The only thing standing in the way is the Field House, however that is in line for demolition from the last long range plans I saw, and when replaced there will be empty space there as well.

All of the science complex plans have also had similar tracts left open for very easy cut and cover construction in the future. (One even had a dashed line labeled "future rapid transit", or the like.) I think once CSX vacates their yard, Harvard builds out most of their plans, and the 86 and 66 start running at crush load all the time (they already do most hours of the day) you will see talk beginning of a trans-allston subway, most likely as a branch of the green line tied in somewhere around BU.

Well that would be kind of cool. In this kind of world, what would be the end points? There must be maps with the line built out, but while we're here, how would it work? This would be MBTA run, right? Would it be Red Line or Green Line?

A Red Line spur down across the Charles (under? over?) into Allston sounds nice. It would terminate at ... Commonwealth?

^ that reminds me of the box compactor from when i worked at staples. you press a button and the top slowly crushes everything inside.

Can't unsee.

As for a Harvard Subway, I would guess it would have more in common with the 2nd DC subway system....the one for congress people. I'd guess it would be privately run, like the shuttle bus system. It would operate like the morgantown PRT or Seattle airbus thing, in which students (and staff) ride free, and the public pays a fare.

The subway Harvard has been trying to have foresight over is supposed to be a part of the urban ring, as I recall. They want to have the ring going through Allston and Harvard Sq.

The subway Harvard has been trying to have foresight over is supposed to be a part of the urban ring, as I recall. They want to have the ring going through Allston and Harvard Sq.

They might like the Ring to connect to Harvard, but the alignment was considerably farther south, crossing the Charles by the BU bridge and running in the rail right of way behind MIT/Vassar Street.

I would agree however, that in a perfect world the 66 bus would turn into a subway. Anything that can be done to create mass transit connections without funneling riders into the core would significantly help the liveability and economic vitality of Boston.

While they're at it, they could just build an intermodal 'West Station' in the Allston rail yards, run the subway through there (5 min to Harvard, 10 min to LMA) and then throw up a dozen 50 story towers (which are conveniently out of any and all damn flight paths and wouldn't cast shadows on anyone).

A west Station would be quite interesting.

It would offer direct rail connections to Back Bay, South and North via the Worcester line.

It would be a large transit hub, with the 57, 66, 86 among others stopping there, lots of the pike express buses as well.

William Rawn gave Wheelock an Alucobond Special, and Harvard gets the same building with brick/precast/tera cotta/whatever that is..... this is Wheelock's Campus Center:

bostonuwheelockccr1.jpg

img0182qe0.jpg

img1209uz5.jpg

I really hope they don't cut down those nice, old trees so we can all get a better view of the hideous building behind them.

But they probably will.

Developers love sterile and barren landscapes.

Wrong color scheme for Harvard and fairly dull at that.

Back