Harvard Law School - Northwest Corner complex | Cambridge

Re: Harvard Law School - Northwest Corner complex

This project is exactly how not to be inspired by Richardson.

Is it just me or does this look a bit like Italian fascist architecture from the 1920s?

It looks like they were a little over-inspired by Lesley U's current digs at the Porter Exchange Mall. I think the new building will grow on folks, but it's definitely a little jarring on that stretch of one-story Mass Ave. storefronts.

Porter Exchange Mall used to be a Sears store. It looks very similar to the other buildings in the area which used to be Sears and Roebuck buildings (i.e. Landmark Centre in Boston).
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Landmark_Center_(Boston)

There is another building on Mt. Auburn St. (The one currently housing Tufts Health in Watertown), it also looks similar to Porter Exchange but I can't remember if it used to be a Sears store?

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=...=yJcBAtpH56oRGnMRL0ixUQ&cbp=12,90.19,,0,-8.76

The building in Watertown belonged to New England Telephone.

Yup. Now that it's nearly complete the resemblance couldn't be more clear. It's like Stern just cut and pasted elements of EUR:

0921eur-1Web.JPG

7/16:

5945514813_cc6847f601_b.jpg

5945515177_061cc3e518_b.jpg

5946072538_593a762a9e_b.jpg

5945515619_c3afcebe96_b.jpg

5945516267_e1ec5e61ea_b.jpg

5946073270_09f3059f9c_b.jpg

5945516947_3fe11fb586_b.jpg

To put this building in culinary terms, it's a $35 hamburger.

Sidewalk seems to have turned out pretty narrow here. Can two people comfortably walk past each other or will you have to do the awkward-passing-twist as you go past...

I think under ADL that new sidewalks need to be at minimum sufficient for a person in a wheel chair to pass a pedestrian going in the other direction without requiring either to move out of their path -- so I'm guessing unless its a Celtics reunion with Shaq and some other big guy there wont be a problem

Sidewalks actually seem alottt wider in person than in that pic.

Finally, all the fencing and such is gone, fully landscaped, etc...

6167937218_c9673dcc1a_b.jpg

6167405655_98e2a6fe41_b.jpg

6167405057_2cfee7fee3_b.jpg

6167941574_5c2620904c_b.jpg

IMG_2919.jpg

Complaining that the building is designed to please its users and not to please the tastes of an architecture critic. What a maroon.

I think some color highlights would really help this building out. Maybe even just some long vertical crimson banners.

Ha, ya get your heil on.

At street level, I don't think it looks that bad. The quality of the materials and the craftsmanship is apparent. I think the neofascism creeps in only at a distance.

Back