Harvard SEC (Science & Engineering Complex) | Western Ave | Allston

Harvard's doing a great job of turning Allston into a replica of Kendall square....circa 1987...

Harvard's doing a great job of turning Allston into a replica of Kendall square....circa 1987...

I think you need to give them time. There have only been about four recent buildings. What, do you expect the neighborhood to be completely transformed overnight?

The facades also not close to its final form. Still another layer to go that will completely change how this one looks.

So ...buildings are starting to be more and more like clothing on bodies. What I mean by that is that underneath every fancy coat ... there is a very naked body. The "skin" part of the building is the thing that is doing the work of keeping the building warm/dry/quiet/useful. The layer we "see" is the pretty stuff. It is the clothing that can be pretty much anything from brick/stone/wood/metal panel (gasp)/ or a number of other things.

A building like THIS going to look great because it is essentially wearing lace (expensive lace at that). The outer layer will be semi transparent and will show off some of the skin.

What I am trying to say is that this is going to be sexy.

cca

This mesh facade can't go on any sooner. Excited about this one to say the least

Is the curve in Western Ave going to be permanent, or will the road be straightened once they don't need the staging area anymore? I bike down Western from Central semi-frequently and it's so much nicer with that curve than it was as a straight-as-an-arrow raceway.

Is the curve in Western Ave going to be permanent, or will the road be straightened once they don't need the staging area anymore? I bike down Western from Central semi-frequently and it's so much nicer with that curve than it was as a straight-as-an-arrow raceway.
I believe the curve was related to the installation of underground utilities.

Harvard's planning for separated bicycle lanes on Western Avenue (so straight + separated, perfect) as part of their Allston IMP. Here's a 2016 update (PDF warning) – see pages 19-20:
http://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/55feda0c-81fe-40b4-8033-1ab06cf48bfd

Back