Harvard SEC (Science & Engineering Complex) | Western Ave | Allston

Javier

Reaction score
Northeastern SEC looks more like the new Basketball Arenas, Harvard SEC is a great building designed for what is intended to be

BarbaricManchurian

Reaction score
I think it’s a perfect setting for breakthroughs in science and engineering. The interior will look awesome. The back is great with the park and the other massings. My main problem is that it’s not urban enough but it should still be interesting with public interior access and the park in the back. Unfortunately Harvard always goes for statement buildings over urban infill but this is not a bad place for one (very dilapidated lower Allston until maybe a decade ago). The weakest part is the boxy massing but the screen should look amazing in person.

stellarfun

Reaction score
My two cents.

The southern half of NU's ISEC looks great; the northern half not so much, rather banal. And the two halves aren't fully integrated architecturally; its as if the southern half is delicious looking frosting on an otherwise ordinary cake.

Considering the whole, and viewing all four quadrants, Harvard's SEC comes off better. and, hopefully, the screen, other than the Western Ave. side, continues to be iridescent depending on the sun, sun angle, weather.
Harvard received the okay for the contractor to have a full landscaping crew doing planting during the lockdown. Apparently, without the trees and landscaping, the storm sewers would have conveyed too much runoff into the Charles, a 'no, no'.