Herald Square | 385 Congress St | Portland

Seems like there's still some ambiguity on phasing and timelines. Dasco said they -MAY- build phases 1A and 1B concurrently, or build the hotel and then the phase 1A tower. If it ends up being 3 phases, the hotel is guaranteed to be first.

From an engineering (and operations) perspective, it seems like building all of phase 1 simultaneously makes sense. Why build a hotel and public space just for it to immediately turn back into a construction site? The hotel and residential portions of Hobsons Landing were built concurrently.

Hearing for the MDP/traffic movement permit is on the PB agenda this week. Design has changed again - back to emphasizing glass.

Congress & Myrtle:

Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 2.33.01 PM.png

Congress & Pearl:

Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 2.33.14 PM.png

Cumberland & Myrtle:

Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 2.33.29 PM.png

Cumberland & Pearl:

Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 2.33.55 PM.png

Last edited:
Hearing for the MDP/traffic movement permit is on the PB agenda this week. Design has changed again - back to emphasizing glass.

Congress & Myrtle:

View attachment 26997

Congress & Pearl:

View attachment 26998

Cumberland & Myrtle:

View attachment 26999

Cumberland & Pearl:

View attachment 27001
The parking entrances and first floor retail opportunities look considerably improved from last round. Now hopefully the City will hold them to the plans despite the inevitable value-engineering in coming rounds.

I'm not going to comment on the design itself, but I am pleased that they improved the massing a little bit. It looks like there's 2-3 floors of total height variability, still rather monolithic but a major positive step away from them all being the same. I finally pinpointed the location on the map and it's perfect for development. That area around City Hall always feels a lot deader than it should. Good luck Portland!

I like the glass facade on the hotel but am not sure what's going on with the top two floors? Seems to be a lot of dead space if its concealing mechanical equipment. Am not crazy about the balconies on the other buildings, too much of beach condo vibe going on but I do like the height variations of the project much better.

Last edited:
I was worried that the top of the hotel
I like the glass on the hotel facade on Congress Street, but am not sure what's going on with the top two floors? Seems to be a lot of dead space if its concealing mechanical equipment. Am not crazy about the balconies on the other buildings, too much of beach condo vibe going on but I do like the height variations of the project much better.
I think the top two floors are condos, the rendering must just be in complete. From Congress & Myrtle you can see two random "units" have windows but none of the others do.

Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 3.39.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 3.41.08 PM.png

That makes sense because in the rendering there is a glass treatment on two of the little rectangles. Though the numbers are a little blurry, it appears the taller condo building on Congress St is 162' to the top of the mechanical penthouse which will be similar in height to the Time & Temperature Building. This is some cool stuff to digest and I'm actually getting more excited about this game changing project for Portland now that 201 Federal Street is well underway. Thanks for your efforts nomc. (y)

Last edited:
That makes sense because in the rendering there is a glass treatment on two of the little rectangles. Though the numbers are a little blurry, it appears the taller condo building on Congress St is 162' to the top of the mechanical penthouse which will be similar in height to the Time & Temperature Building. This some cool stuff to digest and I'm actually getting more excited about this game changing project for Portland now that 201 Federal Street is well underway. Thanks for your efforts nomc. (y)
The top of the penthouse on the Congress/Pearl condo building is actually labeled as 219' 6" in the section view!

The top of the penthouse on the Congress/Pearl condo building is actually labeled as 219' 6" in the section view!

Average grade at street level is 57'.

Give or take a foot the hotel will be 194' minus 58' (grade) for a total of 136 feet which will be similar in height to the Fidelity Building. Do you know if the developer is still planning on building Phase 1 (Congress Street structures) first and the Cumberland Ave ones at a later date?

Last edited:
Give or take a foot the hotel will be 194' minus 58' (grade) for a total of 136 feet which will be similar in height to the Fidelity Building. Do you know if the developer is still planning on building Phase 1 (Congress Street structures) first and the Cumberland Ave ones at a later date?
They're now proposing 4 phases - the condo on Congress used to be Phase 1B but is now Phase 2 (or Phase 1 Alt. - anyone know what could make this happen before the hotel?) and the Cumberland condos are now two separate phases.

Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 7.47.29 PM.png

I have a feeling that the condo tower on lot 2 will begin construction within 6 months of the hotel so guests will be inconvenienced by noise for a shorter duration which is why there is a Phase 1 option. Would expect to see a permit request in the next few months to demolish the printing building.

Last edited:
Are Condos B and C separate buildings? I thought this was only going to be 3 buildings, but 4 is even better.

B and C appear to be one building visually and I am also curious if the floors will connect between the two once they are both complete. Kind of odd the illustrator did not finish out the top two condo floors of the hotel, the blank wall facing Congress Street looks bizarre and any owner will definitely desire views of the harbor.

Is there an architectural firm listed in any of these documents yet?

Much better design....by a mile. I agree that there is a certain "beach vibe" going on. They actually look like something you would see in San Diego.....not a totally bad thing. Would definitely bring some variety to the architecture currently going on in Portland.

Back