High Speed internet in new construction

Mongo

Reaction score
Is there any reason that there isn’t fiber infrastructure integrated into the new condo buildings popping up around the city? Why don’t developers pay any attention to this?

This would seem like a pretty simple way to add value to these new buildings that isn't being taken advantage of.

Is there any reason that there isn’t fiber infrastructure integrated into the new condo buildings popping up around the city? Why don’t developers pay any attention to this?

This would seem like a pretty simple way to add value to these new buildings that isn't being taken advantage of.

Probably because there is no residential fiber service provider licensed in the City. Long standing feud between the City and Verizon over deployment costs, fees...

As I recall it wasn't licensing to provide internet, it was licensing to provide TV. Fios wasn't allowed in because Verizon didn't want to pay the taxes as a TV provider. For instance, 45 Province has Fios internet available, but not TV or phone. They are licensed differently.

What I heard, even if Mayor Walsh sings a different tune to Verizon. It seems they are not interested anymore as they are not expanding FIOS anywhere.

What I heard, even if Mayor Walsh sings a different tune to Verizon. It seems they are not interested anymore as they are not expanding FIOS anywhere.

From what I heard, actually, it's Comcast (and Comcast making deals with politicians) that is/was keeping them out and they are doing so on a statewide level.

FIOS is gleefully expanding in your southern neighbor states. In fact, FIOS was just recently extended to my neighborhood a month or so ago and you bet I switched ASAP.

Menino wanted a citywide rollout. Verizon only wanted to do the affluent sections of Boston. They couldn't come to terms and here we are today.

I thought Verizon also wanted Comcast to help foot the bill for the fiber improvements and Comcast refused. I think they were going to use the Comcast viaducts? Adding any sort of new utility in a historic city like Boston is an epic undertaking.

There is a distinction to be made between Residential fiber and Commercial fiber. You can get commercial fiber in basically any building, assuming you are willing to foot the bill for bringing it in from the street. The residential stuff is trickier because of the deals that are in place with Comcast. I've used a provider called XO communications that brought fiber into my building. Verizon provides the fiber to the street, XO provides the fiber into the building and the internet service.

Back