Historic Portland Discussion

IMG_2313.jpeg

This shot was taken just under the flashing time and temperature sign and construction is just starting on One Portland Square to the right.

Last edited:
I've mentioned this before, but I was told that the primary reason they got rid of the pool was an incident from Ozzy Osbourne and his band. They got a bit too drunk after a concert at the Civic Center (hey, it's what they do), and they went up to that rooftop pool and threw some patio furniture over the edge. They should have just banned rock stars. I like the Hawaiian Hut thing. They should bring that back. And actor Tony Shalhoub worked as a waiter up there. Good find. Looks like it's from an old, old post card. Perhaps The Armature can bring back some of that pool fun (sans the furniture tossed over the edge).

478534_356772311053868_679790907_o.jpg

The hotel's beautiful park like setting amuses me and looks like it's sitting on Park Avenue with Deering Oaks behind it!

470989_355759154488517_27922920_o.jpg

This photo shows the recent completion of the Fidelity Building and the expansion of the Miller Building (PM&B) in 1911. The addition was necessary for the continued growth of Porteous Mitchell & Braun which became the largest department store in Maine.

Last edited:
It became University Hall for USM students in the 80's after the hotel closed and renovated into apartments around a decade ago which gave the building a new exterior. The Portlander's pool was located behind the fence where the couple are hanging out.
Image 3-26-23 at 10.44 AM.jpg

10380-1024x770.jpeg

nomc, the cranes on the roof were for the expansion of the Miller Building in 1911 which was originally half the size it is now. If you look at this photo closely, you will notice the structure's name and year which symbolized the original portion. The three windows bay extension to the right was added due to the success of PM&B and the need for more retail space. The other clue that the right section was an add on is the width of the bays are a little narrower than the ones on the left in order to allow the building to squeeze into the limited piece of property.

Last edited:

Back