Historic Portland Discussion

It was absolutely supposed to have express lanes underground between Fox and Middle Sts.

Looking at the urban renewal photo here, it might be the first I've seen that shows Vine St. intact; that street is now the alley between Hub Furniture and the parking garage. The other two streets obliterated were Deer and Chatham; presumably one of them is shown but I don't know what happened to the other. I had also seen old photos of the second Galt Block Warehouse where the former Customs gates for Ocean Gateway now stand, but never one that showed it boxed in like that.

Great photo!

10257653_699033176827778_5446555198623137447_o.jpg

Mark, this old map shows the streets that were removed for urban renewal. Plum Street is also visible which was eliminated (except for a tiny portion on Fore that connects to Wharf) for the construction of Canal Plaza. Garden Lane and Fremont Place no longer exist due to the Court House and adjacent garage. Quincy Street is actually the right hand lane as you turn west onto Congress Street from Franklin!

52377640_2208325642565183_4837680407199612928_o.jpg

Storefronts on Congress Street during the sidewalk art festival in the late 60's. Even though this was a period of decline for Portland, Congress Street was still bustling prior to the opening of the Maine Mall.

So many diverse and beautiful storefronts.

View attachment 40077
Mark, this old map shows the streets that were removed for urban renewal. Plum Street is also visible which was eliminated (except for a tiny portion on Fore that connects to Wharf) for the construction of Canal Plaza. Garden Lane and Fremont Place no longer exist due to the Court House and adjacent garage. Quincy Street is actually the right hand lane as you turn west onto Congress Street from Franklin!
OK, so, taking a moment to line this up on Historic Aerials, the small street between Pearl and Vine is now the location of the curb cut into the lot just north of 27 Pearl, and the alley besode Hub Furniture was actually Deer St., not Vine.

Even though Plum was no longer an official street, I remember when it was closed off to Commercial (probably in the 90's) because that gap where 215 Commercial is now provided the only access to the alley behind what was then the Portland Greengrocer, spelling the end for that business. If you look at the remnant of the street now (the weird staircase beside Central Provisions) you can see the rear of the new building.

I have thought that the folks who own 100 Middle St. should rename those towers Deer and Chatham.

I have thought that the folks who own 100 Middle St. should rename those towers Deer and Chatham.
Great idea and they can still use the 100 Middle Street address but add classy signage at each entrance to delineate the separate towers. You are really embracing your historical Portland DNA Mark!

Great idea and they can still use the 100 Middle Street address but add classy signage at each entrance to delineate the separate towers. You are really embracing your historical Portland DNA Mark!
I mean, right now I believe they're North and South, which are the easiest names in the world to replace.

Recently, I've found that it's easier to find photos of the Monroe St. Jail (gone before my time, where Kennedy Park is now) than it is to find photos of the jail that was alongside the courthouse on Federal St.

Image 7-15-23 at 11.27 AM.jpg

Great view of the "cluster" from above in the early 90's. Two Portland Square is under construction to the lower left and Back Bay Tower is almost complete at the top center. Casco Bank still has it's headquarters in One Monument Square and the ONE is still adorning the top of 511 Congress Street. Portland Public Library Archives photo,

Last edited:
e99233e6b78ad50c0970cbe2da2b06f3.gif.jpeg

View from around 1962. If anyone thinks that the Portland waterfront is rundown today, this is what it used to look like when I was a kid! And don't let the picturesque blue water of Back Cove fool you, it was full of raw sewage and it was a "breeze" to tell when the tide was out. Portland is still dealing with stormwater waste today and the current construction project alongside I-295 will help resolve those issues. Kudos to the environmental groups and clean water advocates that were instrumental in unpolluting our nation's harbors, rivers and lakes starting in earnest in the 70's. (y)

Last edited:
I remember those Christmas decorations very well!

Grant's was still there, where CVS is now. I wonder if they had already opened the store at Pine Tree and kept this one as well until the mall opened and downtown shopping traffic started to migrate. I've never heard of Markson's, though, and now I wonder of the famed Karate sign was that one remade, or if they hung a new sign on the same brackets.

414892_325903207474112_2104202209_o.jpg

I'm guessing the late 20's and prior to the Great Depression. I was trying to pick out Mark's car in the Portland High lot but it's just too far away!

Last edited:

Back