Hobson's Landing | Aloft Hotel | 383 Commercial Street | Portland

Welcome Conrad! Isn't there an old saying in real estate about the view never being guaranteed? By the way do you have any insight into what's going into the ground floor next to the golf place?

I don't know what's currently planned. It was going to be a high-end bridal store, but I think that fell through.

I was hoping something useful (for locals) would go in there, or in the Hobson's Landing street-level commercial units. Something like a coffee shop, small grocery store, etc. But nothing so far. I know Old Port (and nearby) is increasingly not designed for locals. This area's nice because it's a close walk to the West End, Monument Square, etc.

How about a Jimmy John's somewhere in that area, almost every downtown I visit seems to have one with the exception of Portland. I'm not sure what has happened to the Subway on Congress Street, is it permanently closed or being renovated? Sometimes a person just needs a sub without having to pay a fortune for it and I'll take JJ over Subway any day!

How about a Jimmy John's somewhere in that area, almost every downtown I visit seems to have one with the exception of Portland. I'm not sure what has happened to the Subway on Congress Street, is it permanently closed or being renovated? Sometimes a person just needs a sub without having to pay a fortune for it and I'll take JJ over Subway any day!

It appears that they are renovating / preparing to reopen - now hiring signs in the windows. I'm eagerly anticipating, as it was my go-to for a while.

Corner is shaping up now. I probably said this earlier in the thread, but just going to say again this block is much nicer to walk through with only one lane of traffic going up the hill. Still curious if a traffic light will go in at Commercial & High at some point. Would make it easier to get around on foot/bike and also a benefit for cars I assume.

Hobson's Landing Commercial and High Street by Corey Templeton, on Flickr

There is a light planned thru the MDOT for new signals on commercial

Seems like that would also be a great opportunity improve the terrifying bike experience coming off of the CBB.

A6D3B0ED-7DA1-426A-A63E-8073A41A0A24.jpeg
06C12B11-DCA4-414A-8BF7-6A9B5296C743.jpeg

Landry French still busy with steel! This building is going to be beautiful.

It "rounds" out that corner nicely and will serve as the western anchor to the waterfront portion of downtown. It's actually one mile from the High Street intersection on Commercial Street to the Portland Company complex on Thames Street which is packed with restaurants, pubs, shops, housing, banks, hotels, office buildings and piers!

Last edited:
It "rounds" out that corner nicely and will serve as the western anchor to the waterfront portion of downtown. It's actually one mile from the High Street intersection on Commercial Street to the Portland Company complex on Thames Street which is packed with restaurants, pubs, shops, housing, banks, hotels, office buildings and piers!
Imbedded pic (cneal) is of the display modeling for the massing of the Portland Company Complex build (from the inside of the new Sun Life building). Yes, Hobson's Place is the western anchor and "this" is the eastern one. And exactly what this eastern one is, is still somewhat of a mystery. But it looks like it's a more massive and upscale version of Hobson's Place. My prediction? The first $10 million dollar condo sale in Portland. But we did finally get that stairway. Yippee.

7NvdPJS.jpg

Welcome Conrad! Isn't there an old saying in real estate about the view never being guaranteed? By the way do you have any insight into what's going into the ground floor next to the golf place?

My wife said the signage now confirms that it's a high-end bridal store.

Ah well.

Curious - I know JB Brown takes a more calculated and mindful approach to developing their properties. Often with proposals or concepts that may or may not come to fruition. (Ex: 57 York Street Commercial Building).

But has anyone seen their concept for 99 "West" Commercial Street next to the new VA Parking Garage? They own the group of older buildings at 65 Commercial Street (ie the Portland Star Match Co. et al). It looks like they're trying to squeeze a 5 story building between the garage and these older buildings. There's also land on the other side next to Graybar. Without any offense to Graybar or Nova Seafood - but I'd love to see those redeveloped. Then maybe something in the waterfont parking lot next to the gas station. Like a parking garage for waterfront workers with office or retail space. ::Shrugs::

65-west-commercial-300x200.jpg
capture2-300x156.png

For some undoubtedly historical reason, Commercial becomes West Commercial right at that bend in front of Nova. The change doesn't even align with the former route of Clark St. (When I was younger, I always thought West Commercial was either what is now called Cassidy Point Rd., or else that was the far end of Commercial and West Commercial was that weird little connector that ran down the hill between Gateway Circle and Commercial St.)

While I have strong doubts that I will need a bridal store of any type in the near future, at least it's leased. I was afraid it would turn into another MMC Parking Garage.

For some undoubtedly historical reason, Commercial becomes West Commercial right at that bend in front of Nova. The change doesn't even align with the former route of Clark St. (When I was younger, I always thought West Commercial was either what is now called Cassidy Point Rd., or else that was the far end of Commercial and West Commercial was that weird little connector that ran down the hill between Gateway Circle and Commercial St.)

While I have strong doubts that I will need a bridal store of any type in the near future, at least it's leased. I was afraid it would turn into another MMC Parking Garage.
Yeah no bridal stores in my near future, thank goodness.
Just curious if JB Brown's development would "extend" the so-called Commercial Street and make the VA the new "anchor". There's really nothing going on over there and isn't pedestrian friendly. Not to mention the homeless living under the bridge/ramp.

Back