Homes Worth More than $1 Million by State

Damn it!
I can post quick replies, but not start a new post or 'Go Advanced.'

This is what happens when you leave the flock, like a true maverick.
(But do true mavericks ever return to the flock? Aaahhhhh. That's the question, sprouts.)

You wankers are all still at it, eh? Heheheh

Let's see.... What's new?

Guess I've got to read a lot to find out.

Boston's still standing, I see.
At least on one good leg with a somewhat sturdy, elaborately carved cane.

Oakland... barely.
What a bunch of clowns.
Not the funny kind.

Do I dare brave cold, snowy winters again?

Come back east and kick some irrational NIMBY ass?
(Have had my fill here, tell you what.)

Nope. Not likely. Plus, I still like my privacy.

But, hey, I'll jawjack with ya'll again.

Jealous?

You must be 'new'.
Just reaching out to my old 'friends,' with whom I have a history here, and in my own way, after being off the board for ... two and a half years--wow.

If you think I write like I'm high, well, so be it. :)

Marblehead and St. Louis, eh?
That's an interesting, contrasting combination.
I often compare Oakland to St. Louis and to Detroit, for those people who need a cliched comparison point, primarily when I'm disparaging my current hometown.

I haven't been to St. Louis in a while--not since TWA went belly up. Been a long time, then.

Tell us, what is St. Louis doing to improve its urban self?
It's a city much like Boston in that it has older bones, was a vibrant, bustling metropolis, about the same size as Boston. Then, it declined, and never quite rebounded.

Here's Oakland's Mistake by the Lake, courtesy of the Jerry Brown era. It recently opened after a three year(!) construction timetable. This bunker isn't brutalism revisited, by any means. It's just substituted concrete in place of precast. (You can see a Seaport/Fallon-like precast rising a block behind the church, though.) This has become one horrifying view from Children's Fairyland across the lake's lagoon from the church. There should have been so much more here for the city and the community. Plus, this is a Calatrava design (original architect) watered down by somebody at SOM, I think.

img40191024x768pr2.jpg

I have more info. However, it's my first day back on the board. Plus, I'm pooped. And I got to get on a plane again tomorrow at midnight. Stupid airlines--hardly any reasonably scheduled non-stops coast to coast anymore.

Last edited:
What is the curved glass building? I think that's sort of cool, actually.

Cathedral of Christ the Light. Google it for all the info you'll ever want to know.

New home for the 'Catholic' Church.
It's all so shifty, actually.

Too tired to argue its (de)merits right now.

The interior is spectacular, I will say that.

The bunker that surrounds it--vile. I cut off the worst part to the left.

I have my own nickname for the main cathedral hall. However, I notice females are actively posting (way to go Archboston--welcome to the 21st century ... 20th, actually. Catch up, dudes.), so I won't type it here.

Oakland's fallout bunker for the armageddon

img30501024x768yv7.jpg

Only took this because I was trying to get the four construction cranes in the shot.

Jealous?

You must be 'new'.
Just reaching out to my old 'friends,' with whom I have a history here, and in my own way, after being off the board for ... two and a half years--wow.

If you think I write like I'm high, well, so be it. :)

Marblehead and St. Louis, eh?
That's an interesting, contrasting combination.
I often compare Oakland to St. Louis and to Detroit, for those people who need a cliched comparison point, primarily when I'm disparaging my current hometown.

I haven't been to St. Louis in a while--not since TWA went belly up. Been a long time, then.

Tell us, what is St. Louis doing to improve its urban self?
It's a city much like Boston in that it has older bones, was a vibrant, bustling metropolis, about the same size as Boston. Then, it declined, and never quite rebounded.

Vibrant, bustling metropolis my arse. St. Louis has the worst urban area I've ever seen-how dare you compare it to Boston. This place has the worst problem with suburban sprawl I've ever seen. STL does jack to help themselves, they just continue building sub-divisions further and further out. They think the further from the city they are, the richer they are...they live in such a disillusioned world. But hey, it is the meth-lab capitol of the world. Anyhow, I used to live in Marblehead, and then moved to St. Louis a few months ago-but I'll still come back to Marblehead in the summer. And yes, I'm pretty new-I joined after the crash but before we switched to vBulletin.

In which way? Would it have helped if I had written my post in [Sarcasm] blah [/Sarcasm]?

^Kennedy, you misread the posting.

As people here often do.

Aside (not directed at anyone specifically, yet, including kennedy): Many on this board try to be so amusing that, ultimately, it results in a failure to communicate much of anything clearly as they trip over their self-perceived cleverness.

(I am in a pissy mood today. Should refrain from posting... nah!)

Sounds like St. Louis of the present-day remains a disaster, though I haven't personally experienced it in a decade. It wasn't always that way.

Boston could have been a disaster as well. We all should have learned by now that any location isn't immune. Despite the grumbling here--gritty or not, suburbanized or not, tall buildings or not, strong leadership or not--be glad that many of you are living near or in a region that didn't collapse into a quagmire during our lifetimes.

Right...that's the message I got and was responding to. Whatever...anyhow, yes, be grateful you live in Boston, or NYC, or SF, or anywhere other than STL for that matter, because unless you're in Detriot, I guarantee you're in an architecturally/urban-ally nicer place.

What is the curved glass building? I think that's sort of cool, actually.

garbribre said:
Cathedral of Christ the Light, the new home for the Catholic Diocese. The interior is spectacular, I will say that.

Let's start out with a few pics that may totally disorient you. (heheh)

img64771024x768ge3.jpg

img64831024x768tc3.jpg

img64811024x768pi6.jpg

Have fun figuring out which end is up. (I didn't crop one pic expertly, so you can figure it out without much eye strain.) I will post more tomorrow.

What?! Where's the curiosity? Did I miss a post elsewhere about this and everyone is familiar with it (or tired of it) already?!

Awriiiight.
Here are a few more... before I publicly disparage it.

Jebus luvs U
img64761024x768pe6.jpg

My fave view from behind the altar in the choir through the lattice work
img64781024x768is3.jpg

img64791024x768xk9.jpg

It is very churchlike and wannabe postmoderny.

Interior, yes, I could see that influence. Though I think it pays homage to an older generation of venerated architects, including some ancient cultures. Exterior, not sure how I would categorize it.

During a formal tour, the word 'sensual' was used a few times. People giggled, nervously.:)

A final array of pics on this subject for my one hand clapping following.

img64801024x768kh4.jpg

img64821024x768mi5.jpg

img64841024x768jz1.jpg

img64891024x768sw9.jpg

img64901024x768vh7.jpg

One thing I love about the main hall structure is the play of light (and shadows), which this picture doesn't fully exploit. I would have to wait around like a real photographer to capture some of the effects, and I am just a point-and-shoot kinda guy. I think there are some amazing pics on various blogs and sites. If you are interested, google the name of the church. Also, SOM has a good construction timeline of photos showing the construction process and the engineering challenges.
img64921024x768jz1.jpg

This is what the Jerry Brown administration thought was the most cutting edge idea for an urban project in Oakland that would help put it back on the world map.

Wait. Did I miss something? Was Oakland ever on the world map?

Okay, he did take claim for the 10K housing initiative, but that was suggested by others before he ran for office and others initiated it elsewhere before he ever did.

Now he's our State Attorney General. Oh, crap!

Guess I've derailed my own thread (not that I am ever on track). Maybe I should start a purely Oakland one elsewhere. Seems the one I had before is long gone from the board crash.

Keep encouraging me; I'll keep posting the photos I have.;)

img66041024x768bn5.jpg

img66061024x768bo5.jpg

(Clearly, these have been messed with. The color is still not right.)

As much as I object(ed) to this building--what it stands for, where it is sited, actually, the overall site plan, the materials, especially where it relates to the street--the sanctuary makes you stop and stare at it. They have achieved the intended 'wow! what's that?' factor.

Haha jeezzzzzzzz
how many more pictures do you have good sir?
they never really get old, this building is too interesting

Back