Hong Lok House | 11-31 Essex Street | Chinatown

Re: Hong Luk Project - Chinatown

I moved the Hong Lok (Luk?) House discussion to its own thread.

Here are a few bad quality pics of the building scheduled to be demolished:

25-31_essex_1.jpg

25-31_essex_3.jpg

25-31_essex_2.jpg

Chinatown housing complex to break ground next month
By Brendan Lynch
Wednesday, July 20, 2011

After a five-year delay, developers plan to break ground next month on a $33 million affordable housing development replacing four parcels on Essex Street in Chinatown.

The project will house 28 low-income, elderly Chinese residents who live on the site in the Hong Lok House as well as a health center and a community center. Rogerson Communities, a Boston affordable housing nonprofit developing the site, ran into the Great Recession as it began to seek financing, causing the delay.

“It’s been the hardest project by a factor of three that Rogerson has ever attempted,” said Rogerson president James Seagle. “But it’s still, in my book, the most important project we’ve ever done.”

The four parcels, between a parking lot on Essex Street and the Registry of Motor Vehicles building on Washington Street, now have two buildings — the Hong Lok House and one abandoned building — and two empty lots. The new project will be a seven-floor, 100,000-square-foot building. From Washington Street, the building will appear to be four separate buildings since the facades of the two standing structures will be rehabbed and added to the new building in what Seagle called a “facade-ectomy.”

Rogerson estimates the project will generate 200 part-time construction jobs and 15 permanent jobs.

Seagle said the project is funded by “a whole alphabet soup” of state, city, quasi-public and nonprofit affordable housing groups, as well as $5 million from private donors such as nearby State Street Corp., the Farnsworth Trust at Bank of America and Tufts New England Medical Center.

It’s going to be a busy summer of construction in that part of Downtown Crossing because Hayward Place, a nearby $200 million, 397,000-square-foot residential project, is slated to break ground next week. The 15-story building, which will contain approximately 265 housing units, will occupy a full city block that is bounded by Washington Street, Avenue de Lafayette, Harrison Avenue and Hayward Place.

Link

the building will appear to be four separate buildings since the facades of the two standing structures will be rehabbed and added to the new building in what Seagle called a “facade-ectomy.”

And the landscraperization of Boston is forestalled another day!

It doesn't look like four buildings, it looks like a precast box with three old facades attached to it.

I like this project because it saves the facades, plus is going to bring back a historic facade and fills in two empty lots. I just wish it included store fronts, which would help make it feel like different buildings. I'm afraid it's going to have one entrance and three fake entrances with blank windows. I haven't read anything that mentions retail space.

I feel like not every project in development in Boston, especially an elderly housing development, needs a bunch of storefronts.

It doesn't look like four buildings, it looks like a precast box with three old facades attached to it.

There are three ways to handle this development:

1. Restore the existing buildings and put in new infill in the empty lots.

2. Facade-ectomy with landscraper behind them

3. Demo the existing building and just throw up another landscraper.

1 is a lot better than 2 & 3 but 2 is better than 3.

There are three ways to handle this development:

1. Restore the existing buildings and put in new infill in the empty lots.

2. Facade-ectomy with landscraper behind them

3. Demo the existing building and just throw up another landscraper.

1 is a lot better than 2 & 3 but 2 is better than 3.

Not clear that 1 is feasible -- as one of the buildings outside of its facade is at the point of decay where restore means recreate aka National Park Service -- which would boost cost out of sight

I think if they do attempt to make the structure have some retail as store fronts the fact that there is a monolithic structure hidden behind the facades - is a minor consideration -- after all this is not a signature building located where the global aesthetics will be noticed -- such as the somewhat bungled Sloan School building on the Charles that MIT is just finishing

Re: Hong Lok Project - Chinatown

Rogerson Communities is new to this forum, but we would like to share further details about the Hong Lok House project with those who are interested. We are in the process of getting our website updated, and it should be done by tomorrow. In the meantime, following is the text of the press release regarding the groundbreaking which provides quite a few of the pertinent details.

While our formal celebration will occur on August 4, it is expected that physical site work will begin closer to the end of the month as contractor Walsh Brothers is now arranging for subs and purchasing materials.

Anne Morton Smith, VP, Development & Community Relations
O: 617.469-5810
E: smith@rogerson.org

STALLED CHINATOWN HOUSING PROJECT FINALLY BREAKS GROUND
Groundbreaking Celebration:
Thursday, August 4 -- 10 AM
China Pearl
9 Tyler Street
Chinatown, Boston

Boston, MA ---- (July 12, 2011) - - -The Greater Boston Chinese Golden Age Center [GBCGAC], a nonprofit that serves Chinese-speaking Asian seniors, is celebrating the much anticipated groundbreaking of the new Hong Lok House on Essex Street in Boston’s Chinatown on August 4, 2011. Putting shovels in the ground culminates a five year struggle to redevelop a vital center for Chinatown’s seniors.

The effort dates back to April, 2006 when GBCGAC first engaged Rogerson Communities to redevelop the existing Hong Lok House, an outdated HUD-202 residence for low-inclome elders. Developed in 1978, the 28-unit elder housing facility has been in dire need of rehabilitation for years. In fact, the adult day health program, located in the basement, no longer meets licensing requirements and is allowed to operate only through a grandfather clause.

As Boston’s premier developer of affordable elder housing, Rogerson Communities took on the very complicated task of fundraising and securing financing, as well as managing design and construction of the new 8-story Hong Lok House. Rogerson’s expertise includes compiling numerous government funding sources together with private fundraising to move the project forward. Yet just as financing was falling into place, the economic downturn of 2008 stalled construction. It is nothing short of miraculous that construction is now finally beginning and the community could not be more pleased.

“Working with Rogerson Communities to bring this project to fruition, I am thrilled and proud that construction of the New Hong Lok House is beginning. I am looking forward to the completion of this wonderful project and am excited to be planning for the programs and services for the residents and community's elders,” stated Ruth Moy, Executive Director of Greater Boston Chinese Golden Age Center.

DESIGN:
In managing the design of this project, Rogerson has to take into account the needs of both frail residents and historic concerns. Located in the important Liberty Tree Historic District, the old facades of the buildings will be preserved and construction has been planned in stages in order to avoid displacing frail and elderly residents. Residents will be moved into new apartments before demolishing the old building.

Most important, all units will remain affordable in perpetuity. Chiaming Sze Architects designed the building and Walsh Brothers is general contractor. The new Hong Lok House will be the center of activity for Chinatown’s seniors and will promote a sense of stability, caring and community in Boston’s Chinatown. The building will feature:

 74 new apartments for low-income elders with an additional unit for a live-in manager
 An adult day health program for 32 participants daily, a significant increase over the current daily enrollment allowed of only twenty with wheelchair and street level accessibility and privacy for medical treatment
 “Green roof” and T’ai Chi deck
 A separate senior drop-in center, offering community space, fitness programs and ballroom dancing.

Rogerson Communities is excited to continue its efforts in developing properties that meet high standards for green building. Hong Lok House will meet the U.S. green building council’s LEED Silver standard. It will have many energy efficient features, including the “green roof” which will provide essential on-site outdoor space for residents who have long been contained within a neighborhood of concrete. The roof will be fully accessible and reached easily via an elevator.

FINANCING:

The total cost of redeveloping Hong Lok House is projected at $33 Million.
To date Rogerson has raised over $4 million in private donations from corporate and individual donors. Top donors include:

 $2 million from State Street
 $1.37.5 million from Charles H. Farnsworth Charitable Trust
 $250,000 from Tufts Medical Center

Additional commitments include:

 $7,026,272 from K.P. Residences, an Alan and Harriet Lewis Family entity, through the affordable housing program at the Boston Redevelopment Authority

 $1 million in Linkage Funds from Archstone-Smith and the Boston Redevelopment Authority

 $850,000 in Facade Preservation Linkage Funds from the Boston Redevelopment Authority

 $1 million in HOME and/or Community Development Block Grant funds from the City of Boston’s Department of Neighborhood Development

 $750,000 from the City of Boston’s Neighborhood Housing Trust

The Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development has approved:

 $1 million in HOME funds
 $1 million from the Housing Stabilization Fund
 $1.5 million from the Affordable Housing Trust Fund
 $1 million from the Housing Innovations Fund, and
 $714,861 from Community Based Housing
 MassDevelopment has provided a commitment to provide tax-exempt volume cap construction financing for $ 17,050,000 with 4% Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC)

The Greater Boston Chinese Golden Age Center was founded in 1972 after neighborhood activists – members of community organizations, merchants, professionals, students, and elderly residents – recognized the lack of supportive services for Chinese-speaking elders. The organization’s goal is to promote the general welfare of Chinese-speaking Asian elders by providing programs and services that help them to maintain their independence and live at home. Today, the agency provides congregate housing and a comprehensive network of services such as nutrition, adult day health, elder-at-risk, lifeline and transportation programs. The agency serves approximately 1,200 people per day through its programs and services.

# # #

EDIT: Actually, I'd like to apologize. While it was an exaggerated opinion that I did not intend for anyone to take seriously, it was disrespectful to those who contributed to the Hong Luk project, their efforts, and the goals they have set out to achieve. For that, I apologize, and I retract the statement completely and without question.

And again, I'm sorry.

Last edited:

wow.... a little harsh?

i like the designs appears to make sense and protects/ re instates facades. while it isn't the most inspired project in the city rightnow, it is far from atrocious.

Yeah, It's no FP3 but it's also not high-end condos, so...

I like the street enough. Shame about the garage gape.

Last edited:
Re: Hong Lok House Project - Chinatown

The driveway/garage are owned by Archstone Boston Common.

I'd have thought the rightmost building - the one sans box on top - would make people on this board happy. Opportunities for small scale infill in downtown Boston don't come along very often.

It ain't a looker but I welcome this project. Thanks for the update RC! Looking forward to more insider info :)

Back