Hong Lok House | 11-31 Essex Street | Chinatown

Re: Hong Luk Project - Chinatown

For comparison:

I moved the Hong Lok (Luk?) House discussion to its own thread.

Here are a few bad quality pics of the building scheduled to be demolished:

25-31_essex_1.jpg

25-31_essex_3.jpg

25-31_essex_2.jpg

Are the additional stories bad? Yes, very...but I'll take it considering how well the lower levels look.

And keep in mind, this is affordable elderly housing. And we still managed to save those façades.

I'm not sure if it is the camera, but that facade looks a lot more yellow after being reinstalled.

I'm loving the yellow (though realistically, it'll probably be a more pale yellow than shown). I'm also eating a big portion of crow with this project since I thought it was an absolute waste of time/money/resources to even attempt to save these facades when this project was first proposed. I love how the street level of this project turned out and over the years of being a loyal fan of this forum have come to appreciate the beauty of many older buildings that I once would have thought were just teardowns.
Happy New Year and looking forward to another great year of being a part (albeit small part) of a great group of contributors/posters/readers of ArchBoston. And once again, for all of you who take the time to post pictures, many thanks. Cheers, y'all!

Maybe some day we will get that bus lane restored.

Right after we got done training people to drive in it for the past 3 or so years.

None of them are particularly beautiful in their own right, but this was a big win for Boylston/Essex Street to preserve the sense of scale and rhythm of the original facades. This is exactly what would have saved the Radian from itself.

Back