Hood Business Park | 480-570 Rutherford Avenue | Charlestown

It's just a standalone bike-storage facility? Why wasn't it included in the garage? Considering it's nowhere near the entrances to the other office+lab buildings, and isn't really encouraging biking to work with only 2 showers and no lockers, it seems like more of a placeholder building... Why bother?

Last edited:
NPC for one of these parcels was also approved tonight.
i don't know what the changes are.

Parking garage.
DSC_0306.jpeg
DSC_0322.jpeg
DSC_0326.jpeg
DSC_0333.jpeg

Funny, I coincidentally just noticed this today as I was driving by. As much as you want to hate it because it's a garage, It's pretty cool.

Parts I like, parts I hate. Oh well.

Kudos to Hood for diversifying--not only in expected areas like Planet Oat, but also with their real estate development portfolio. I'd be so excited if any of the lab space they're constructing/proposing on site is dedicated to agricultural innovation/production. Between Hood and Indigo Ag, Inc., Charlestown could emerge out of left field as a regional hub for food innovation (if it hasn't already).

There must be a lot of demand for space here considering 12 floors of lab is over double the original 5 that was proposed. If the floor to floor heights remain the same we'll be looking at a 19 storey building around 327' tall here.

Makes me wonder if it will eventually force Cambridge to increase height limits to remain a viable place for building labs around Kendall. Boston's a lot more flexible around the 300-400ft range.

There must be a lot of demand for space here considering 12 floors of lab is over double the original 5 that was proposed. If the floor to floor heights remain the same we'll be looking at a 19 storey building around 327' tall here.

That parking garage was always a fluid expansion, and they spent a ton on the facade and air handling to ensure flexibility. It looks much better just about all parking garages in the area.

A total guess- Indigo Ag wanted the bigger tower and got it through permitting, but now has a smaller expansion potential in mind. Their Carbon Market is getting a lot of attention recently. It would be a great Sustainable Ag success story for Boston.

Back