Hotter than Tabasco sauce: the Boston RE market

Commercial activity makes the common more vibrant and enjoyable...you would be hard pressed to find New Yorkers (or anyone in their right mind) who believes that commercial activity in Bryan, Madison, Central Park or Union Square Park detracts from the public's use of the parks. They are better maintained, more lively and more interesting as a result of the culinary outlets that have opened up shop. I applaud Mike Ross for not taking the myopic Bostonian attitude of 'it's from New York, it can't be a good idea'...it's hard to argue with results, and when they are this clear it's sensible to learn from the positive experience of others.

What I want to know is, which of the candidates is brave enough to support turning the sandwich stand back into a public nuisance of an unused restroom? HOW DARE MIKE ROSS SUPPORT MAKING IT NICE NOT IN MY BACK YARD.

BREAKING: No one goes to the quaint little sandwich shop and few ever use the carousel.

BREAKING: No one goes to the quaint little sandwich shop and few ever use the carousel.

I don't see the sandwhich shop being necessary in the common, theres plenty of resturants and convenience stores around and Ive never seen it very busy.. I would like to try it out though, maybe it will change my mind about it

You're talking about the carousel that's packed wall to wall with people from open to close? If the sandwich shop's doing that bad the end must be near.

Last edited:

WRONG. I go there plenty of times and it's almost always packed. Told my co-workers and brought them there once too and now a few of them go every now and then.

I got to Earl a couple days a week during lunch. I feel like the Common could use another, classy place near the corner of Boylston and Tremont that serves alcohol in order to serve a more night focused purpose but of course that is a tough sell for obvious reasons.

I got to Earl a couple days a week during lunch. I feel like the Common could use another, classy place near the corner of Boylston and Tremont that serves alcohol in order to serve a more night focused purpose but of course that is a tough sell for obvious reasons.

I always thought it'd be awesome if there was a way to upgrade/modernize the headhouses at Boylston so there was just one for both inbound and outbound and then the other could be turned into a cafe/bar with tons of outdoor seating.

I always thought it'd be awesome if there was a way to upgrade/modernize the headhouses at Boylston so there was just one for both inbound and outbound and then the other could be turned into a cafe/bar with tons of outdoor seating.

Boylston doesn't have a mezzanine, so it would be impossible without rebuilding the entirety of the Tremont Street subway. Historically Boylston had four headhouses (so did Park) so you could probably get away with building replicas and use them for concessions.

Boylston doesn't have a mezzanine, so it would be impossible without rebuilding the entirety of the Tremont Street subway. Historically Boylston had four headhouses (so did Park) so you could probably get away with building replicas and use them for concessions.

There is that pipe dream of softening the super-sharp turn at Boylston. If there's ever a rebuild in our lifetimes, the station and the turn can/should be done together.

That'd be good enough for me. I think it would look great, especially in a corner of the Common that in my opinion isn't quite as gorgeous as the rest.

There is that pipe dream of softening the super-sharp turn at Boylston. If there's ever a rebuild in our lifetimes, the station and the turn can/should be done together.

If anything they'll just shave some off of the top of the Boylston curve so that the T can actually buy general market sized LRVs instead of the customized dollies they do now. Digging up more of the burial ground by the south east corner of the Common is so low on everyone's to-do list it may as well not be on it at all.

I suspect Boylston will be the very last station to get an ADA upgrade. Anyone know what the (probably quite distant) plans might be?

My vote is to get rid of the Boylston Street stop all together. Why do we need a stop 300ft away from Park St?

We don't have to get rid of the existing station infrastructure either... just have it feed into the Park St station via a tunnel or something.

My vote is to get rid of the Boylston Street stop all together. Why do we need a stop 300ft away from Park St?

We don't have to get rid of the existing station infrastructure either... just have it feed into the Park St station via a tunnel or something.

I agree, Ive always thought they are way too close

You'd probably need it if the line up through the Pleasant Street Portal ever re-opens. I think that's one of the "F-Line to Dudley" plans actually.

Back