Hotter than Tabasco sauce: the Boston RE market

My vote is to get rid of the Boylston Street stop all together. Why do we need a stop 300ft away from Park St?

We don't have to get rid of the existing station infrastructure either... just have it feed into the Park St station via a tunnel or something.

I'd keep it with all the new apartment, condo and hotel buildings that recently were built or soon to be. Kensington, Jacob Wirth, Millennium Place, Ritz Carlton, W Hotel, Theater Parcel P-7A, AMC Loews, and the possible Emerson dorms.

I'd keep it with all the new apartment, condo and hotel buildings that recently were built or soon to be. Kensington, Jacob Wirth, Millennium Place, Ritz Carlton, W Hotel, Theater Parcel P-7A, AMC Loews, and the possible Emerson dorms.

I think we should keep all the station entrances for Boylston Street, just get rid of the platform. Then reroute all of those Boylston Street entrances to the Park Street station.

The walk wouldn't be that far; there's that one Chinatown entrance on the OL that is much further than Boylston --> Park.

I'm still praying for a SL-3 connector going through there ... or a trolley down Tremont Street replacing the 43?

Would be nice to just scrap the entire Green Line, but that would be impossible.

Yeah the Green Line needs to be nuked from orbit and rebuilt completely underground. Have four tracks instead of two allowing for express trains to pass local trains. Of course this is just fantasy that will never happen. Instead the Green Line will continue to be patched indefinitely and never overhauled.

Yeah the Green Line needs to be nuked from orbit and rebuilt completely underground. Have four tracks instead of two allowing for express trains to pass local trains. Of course this is just fantasy that will never happen. Instead the Green Line will continue to be patched indefinitely and never overhauled.

You can't four track it. The filled in land/close abutting foundations won't allow it to happen without absurd costs. The Green Line needs a signal overhaul, like CBTC, and increased frequencies. Signal priority on the branches, burying B to BU West/Packards, and E to Brigham (connect E to D at Brookline Village while you're at it). Those things will do wonders for the Green Line and probably cheaper than rebuilding the Central/Boylston Subway in some outrageous scheme.

The biggest investment they need to make is in removing the pinch points in the tunnels to allow for off-the-shelf trains, not an endless series of custom jobs.

True level boarding would be good, too.

The biggest investment they need to make is in removing the pinch points in the tunnels to allow for off-the-shelf trains, not an endless series of custom jobs.

True level boarding would be good, too.

+1. The refusal to shave a few inches from the tight points and just order off-the-shelf vehicles boggles the mind...

Doesn't need rebuilding, four tracks or new tunnels.

Just surface station consolidation (and renovation), all door boarding, OPTO, and signal priority.

At some point we need power upgrades for common use of 3-car trains, a fix for the tight spots to satisfy off-the-shelf equipment, and a redone signal system for better frequency, speed and safety in the central subway.

The first four are cheap -- actually, money-saving -- and easy for the T to implement and can be done right away. They should be done, starting today. It's just a matter of implementing well-known, well-established techniques.

Just surface station consolidation (and renovation), all door boarding, OPTO, and signal priority.

At some point we need power upgrades for common use of 3-car trains, a fix for the tight spots to satisfy off-the-shelf equipment, and a redone signal system for better frequency, speed and safety in the central subway.

The first four are cheap -- actually, money-saving -- and easy for the T to implement and can be done right away. They should be done, starting today. It's just a matter of implementing well-known, well-established techniques.

Not that I'm doubting what you just wrote, but - if these are cheap, money saving and can be done right away, why aren't they being implemented? I'm guessing someone/something is stopping it from happening.

Exactly. I'm not even sure if Boylston is a limiting factor in getting "off the shelf" LRVs. The loop at Park is the tightest on the system, and there are a few other lightly used/non-revenue curves that are tighter. Even if it is, modifying the front end to tuck in a bit isn't exactly breaking the bank. It's not like "off the shelf" means that there are literally trolleys sitting in a warehouse somewhere, they still have to build/manufacture them. Any operator is going to require a couple of modifications here and there. The big savings is in being able to use the same proven guts as all the rest of the models: articulation joints, trucks, controls, motors, sensors, etc. Basically everywhere that Breda failed when building the Type 8s, and Boeing on the SLRV.

Not that I'm doubting what you just wrote, but - if these are cheap, money saving and can be done right away, why aren't they being implemented? I'm guessing someone/something is stopping it from happening.

Yup.

Power upgrades just take time, space, and money. It's been gradually happening for years.

Signal Priority on the surface? NO EXCUSE that this shouldn't have been implemented on the C when Brookline basically begged the T to let them hook it up, and the B directly after. I wish some budding journalist would do a piece on this.

Switching to POP for the surface lines is something they could do with little notice. All it requires is the installation of tap readers at the rear doors, which I believe was already piloted on one of the Type 8s. They already have the hand scanners they could issue to T Police and inspectors to check for compliance. Again, no excuse.

Once you have POP, switching to OPTO only takes a union negotiation. They were able to do it on the heavy rail lines, so they should be able to here too.

All of this (besides the power upgrades for logistical reasons) could be done in a year or less. POP could happen within a few months. On the D, it could happen tomorrow: they already have the pre-scanning machines.

Signals are tricky. So far, most similar systems that have upgraded have seen delays and backups far worse then it was before. While it does have to happen eventually, they need to very, very carefully plan out the system, and model the hell out of it. This is a place where spending a ton of money on consultants to review it wouldn't be a waste. If possible, they should keep the old system in place for a while after the new one gets installed just in case there are some horrendous bugs to work out. New signals, if improperly configured, could cripple the subway.

Last edited:
Rather than bump a thread and piss everybody off, I figured I would put my questions/comments into here.

First of all, isn't that 400'+ tower at North Station supposed to be starting soon? Is any work going on with that, or has there been any news about it starting or being delayed further?

Also, I wanted to point out that the next 1-2 months are going to be an exciting time here, since the 2 tallest buildings currently growing are set to top off in that time frame, including our tallest of this "hotter than tabasco sauce" boom. (by the way, that sauce isn't hot at all, so was the title meant to be ironic?)

What are the next buildings set to get out of the ground? For such a booming city, there has been precious little to be excited about over the last few years. It seems like every building that starts rising is capped off within a few short months. I love the way they have all been soaring up to 16 stories or whatever.

Actually, I'm going to stop now before I write 200 pages of expletives conveying my real feelings. I don't have the time, blood pressure, or mental stability to go down such a dark path. All I need is one of these big buildings to get the fuck out of the ground already to cure all my ills....

This thread has morphed into something that belongs in transit and infrastructure, but I am guilty as anyone in my Green Line-hate mongering.

In an attempt to get back on topics - I agree este mercado es muy caliente.

Question: Does anyone think that Samuels will have trouble filling all the units he is building in the Fenway? I doubt it, but just wondering.

This thread has morphed into something that belongs in transit and infrastructure, but I am guilty as anyone in my Green Line-hate mongering.

In an attempt to get back on topics - I agree este mercado es muy caliente.

Question: Does anyone think that Samuels will have trouble filling all the units he is building in the Fenway? I doubt it, but just wondering.

I think it depends on the pricing. If all the units are starting at $2500+/mo for a 1br then maybe there won't be enough demand. However if there are some more reasonbly priced units I don't see any problem filling them up.

I remember reading an article saying that Boston has an estimated housing shortage of 10,000 units and that gap is growing every year. The reason it's growing so rapidly is that many more students are staying in Boston after they graduate than had been previously, so the demand for housing is just crazy.

If there are units in Samuels' buildings that an entry level professional making $50-60k can afford, I think they will fill up fast.

Last edited:
I haven't seen anything going on with the Nashua Street Residences if that's the building your asking about.

Source: walked by this weekend.

With the improvement to the economy, perhaps we'll see more developments proposed for the outer neighborhoods which should help moderate apartment and condo prices. Of course, that's a relative term. Most people here say that $2,000 for a one-bedroom is too much, so offering that next to the Shaws at JFK/UMass or at the New Balance multiuse complex in Allston Brighton isn't going to make you happy, but it is less than what it costs to live midtown.

South Boston is putting up with an enormous amount of new construction. I bet prices there will be flat for some time due to the number of apartments coming online. You might even be able to get a deal if you lock in when the buildings are first completed. The Fenway, not so much.

Back