How did you come up with your screen name?

Waldorf -- the old cafeteria, and Hayes-Bickford (now Bickford's) the old cafeteria....

fawlty.jpg

"Well, I'm afraid we're fresh out of Waldorfs."
'What is a Waldorf anyway, a walnut that's gone off?"

DowntownDave said:
Waldorf -- the old cafeteria, and Hayes-Bickford (now Bickford's) the old cafeteria....

Really? I thought Waldorf was another hotel chain. I always learn something on this board...

I doubt they were related. Waldorf wasn't exaclty a high-end eating establishment, from what I've heard.

statler said:
DowntownDave said:

Really? I thought Waldorf was another hotel chain. I always learn something on this board...

You are probably thinking of the Waldorf-Astoria, in Manhattan.

ZenZen said:

That's exactly what I was thinking of. And I think that's what the Muppet is named after as well..

(and your avatar is cute but WAY too big)
:)

statler said:
ZenZen said:

That's exactly what I was thinking of. And I think that's what the Muppet is named after as well..

(and your avatar is cute but WAY too big)
:)

Better?

Mine is my initials, T.C.T. with the periods changed into "O"s - TOCOTO

^ Nice. Your name makes me think of music terms, specifically "staccato" or "legato."

I was inspired by vanshnookenraggen to create a long, funny-sounding username. Quadratdackel is the funniest-sounding of the handful of old school Schwabish (SW Germany) words my father has taught me. It literally translates to "quadruple dachsund" (hence the avatar) which means "really really really stupid", aparently because dachsunds are stupid. I don't mean to imply anyone here is stupid, myself included. I just think it sounds funny. The other words are:
schlangafanga: snake charmer (an insult)
schwetsganoodle: eggplant noodle (a term of endearment)
griffleschpitz: to tinker with excessively, such as to create the perfect arrangement of dishes in the dishwasher
guadlabashta: I forget what this means

quadratdackel said:
Quadratdackel is the funniest-sounding of the handful of old school Schwabish (SW Germany) words my father has taught me.

Is your father from Swabia? I'm attending a wedding there in October, just east of Stuttgart, the bride is Swabian.

^ My father was born in the USA, shortly after his parents fled Swabia (Ulm), because it was a bad time and place to be Jewish. They were among the last to get out before the Holocaust situation got really bad.

It was interesting watching Germany in the World Cup. Aparently, ever since WWII, overt displays of nationalism (flag waving, raucus cheering, etc) have been shunned. But Germany is by now a positive, humble nation, very much recovered what happened there two generations ago, and the announcers commented on how this was the first World Cup in which the German fans carried on for their team. (Being host nation probably helped too.) I still feel very awkward about the country, which technically is my ancestral homeland, but today's Germany is not the country we fled, and I wish it the best. I hadn't thought of it this way before, but perhaps using the handful words we've managed to hold on to, especially in a light, humorous fashion, could be part of us moving on.

...Even if we botch the words. I've just been told that it's actually "quadradackel" and that it means "dachsund to the fourth power". Oops!

I picked mine because my name isn't Justin.

justin

Yes, your name is not Justin. It's justin. Never capitolized :)

^^Good to know, now I will never put justin's name in the congressional building.

Well well well, what a clever bunch we have here..

I've only dug 8% into my cleverness stockpile. Just you wait.

And I've only dug 8% into my sarcastic-ness stockpile - what a coincidence!

(just kidding...Statler's remark actually made me think for a good few seconds before I caught the joke and could respond with a modestly witty comment)

Back