Hurley Building Redevelopment | 19 Staniford St | West End

From BBJ article:

A2EB5494-0E82-4AF4-8832-BE6A68935108.jpeg

August 25, 2022By Greg Ryan

“Leggat McCall Properties partner Bill Gause knows he’s got a complicated project on his hands with the redevelopment of downtown Boston’s Charles F. Hurley state office building. Then again, his firm has done complicated before.
The Baker administration revealed Wednesday that it had selected the Boston-based development firm to oversee a $1 billion remaking of the Hurley and the surrounding plaza. Much of the building’s exterior Brutalist architecture would be retained, but the interior would see big changes, and two towers — one for labs, one for housing — would go atop the Hurley as we know it today.
Leggat McCall has previously tackled massive public-private partnerships: It is redeveloping Cambridge’s Edward J. Sullivan Courthouse, another massive Brutalist building, into commercial and residential space. It’s also behind the wholesale transformation of Charlestown’s Bunker Hill public housing complex, a project that includes demolishing 42 buildings and constructing about 2,700 new units, meant for a mix of income levels.
But in an interview, Gause admitted the Hurley poses a “unique” challenge. He spoke with the Business Journal about what’s likely to stay at the Hurley, what’s going, and what the project will mean for downtown Boston once it’s expected wrap up later this decade.
What attracted you and the firm to this project?
You know, I’ve been in Boston for 30 years. You walk past this building for 30 years, and you say, boy, how do you get into it, and isn't it an underutilized site? Couldn't you do more with this? So when we heard that the state was going to undertake an RFP for the disposition of it, we were thrilled, and frankly immediately started assembling a team to pursue it.
It’s a challenge. It's an interesting challenge, and an exciting challenge. We as a firm enjoy working on complicated projects and recognize that this could be a complicated, yet transformative, project for the city. It’s a little bit of an eyesore that needs improvement, and we're thrilled to have the opportunity to partner with the state to do that.
Does the firm have any experience working on a project like this?
This one is an interesting one. We've done a lot of public-private partnership projects, large projects. We've done renovations of different projects. This is a unique project, in all of its various attributes. In many respects, it builds (on) a lot of strengths of our firm, and experiences that we’ve had as a firm.
And frankly, we've assembled a team of experts that is also familiar with a lot of this historic architecture. NBBJ will be the prime architect on the project, (with) Audrey O'Hagan working with them. We also have Beyer Blinder Belle out of New York, which is a historic preservation architecture firm. They have a plethora of signature projects like this that they have worked on. We're obviously going to be relying upon them for their expertise to guide through some of those historic elements and incorporating them into the revised project.
How much of the building’s interior will change?
The interiors will be largely changed. The interiors of these buildings, if you were in them today, are a little bit — they're dated, they're dysfunctional, they don’t meet current standards in terms of office needs and requirements. We will be retaining structural elements of the interior of the building for portions of it. The more plaza-facing elements of the building will have a more substantial renovation. It's really the Staniford and the Cambridge street facades that you will see and appreciate and retain a lot of what's there.
That said, we're also going to be creating permeability — if you walk around Cambridge Street and Staniford Street now, you see what's affectionately referred to as the sweatband across the top of the building. That's literally a solid concrete wall with office space behind it. No one wants to sit in an office like that. So it will be retaining the look of a “large element,” which has been referred to as a sweatband, yet creating permeability, such that you can actually create functional office space.
The lobby and the murals that are there, which are obviously iconic, will be retained.
Would you prefer to just knock the building down and start fresh?
We've looked at this, from the beginning, recognizing that “demolish” really isn't an option. We recognize there's a historic nature to the Hurley and Lindemann buildings. There's no question that it's easier to start from scratch and build a new building than it is to work around existing structure. But we recognize that part of the price of admission, if you will, here is realizing that the building, or the vernacular of the building, has to remain in some way, shape or form. That's what we've signed up for.
Do you have any concern about setting out to build lab space, given the uncertainty in the life sciences real estate market at the moment?
No, is the short answer. Boston is obviously one of the epicenters of life science research and development in the country and in the world. If you look locationally, this is a fantastic location that will do well throughout cycles. Obviously, we fully expect real estate does go in cycles, but we also recognize this won't be delivering for a number of years.
The introduction of housing to the site, a lab building, making the plaza more inviting — how do you view that in light of the site’s history with urban renewal?
What we're looking to do is create permeability, diversity and inclusion for what basically has been a walled-off compound. This is a super-block that has been anything but inviting to the neighborhood and to passersby. Our premise, really, is to turn it inside-out and to create an open, welcoming space for the neighborhood or passersby to meet and congregate. That’s our vision. We hope that we give people a reason to go there and want to be there, as opposed to, "Let's quickly walk past it, this dark, hulking building."
What do you think this project will mean for downtown Boston?

Historically, we've thought of… our central business district as downtown. With all of the activity in the Seaport, we've seen a migration of our central business district vitality to more the Seaport. You're starting to see almost a pulling of the central business district back closer to the center of the city, and this really is in the center of the city. I look at the revitalization at North Station, I look at the Government Center garage, and all of the revitalization that's happening there. If you look at a map of the city of Boston, this is really… between a hub of transit nodes. When this is done, it will be a transformative project that will, again, help solidify downtown Boston as a true melting pot of a group of different neighborhoods.”

This is clearly a "debate" that won't go much further, so I'll just end my own two-cents by trying (again) to differentiate between *anyone's* "right" to have an opinion about absolutely anything, to feel invested in a place, to feel that they have skin in any game -- regardless of place of residence, age, income, education level, or anything else -- and the greater value of those opinions belonging to the direct neighbors of said thing, place, game.

To extend your Red Sox analogy: of course, someone in Boothbay, Maine (or Winter Hill, Somerville or Arlington) can feel ownership and personal investment in the Sox and in Fenway Park, and in Boston, overall. That same someone can be super pro, ambivalent, or anti- the new MGM Music Hall at Fenway, too. Never said they couldn't or shouldn't.

The opinion of someone living on the corner of Boylston and Ipswich is, to me anyway, far more important regarding, say, the MGM Music Hall -- it's appearance, hours, operational procedure, etc. -- than the opinions of some armchair architecture nerd in Winter Hill or some skyscraper fan in Arlington Heights.

Opinions differ, I suppose.
It sounds a bit like tribalism, which doesn't fit well with Boston and it's environs as a cosmopolitan world-class city. Just my $0.02.

It sounds a bit like tribalism, which doesn't fit well with Boston and it's environs as a cosmopolitan world-class city. Just my $0.02.

Boston and environs are some of the most tribal and provincial places in the country.

That said, this entire conversation about whether an opinion matters whether someone lives in the city or outside is stupid because this forum really has three purposes:

1. To discuss Boston's growth
2. To discuss Boston from an urban planning perspective.
3. To discuss architecture in Boston.

Nobody is being asked to make decisions based on what posters write down here. This is all just a discussion and last I checked being from Boston isn't a prerequisite to actually having an opinion. And there are a lot of very informed and intelligent posters on this board that don't live anywhere near Boston but still contribute a lot of very valuable content.

Gatekeeping is dumb and the couple posters that shit all over @vanshnookenraggen should feel some shame.

From BBJ article:

View attachment 27786
August 25, 2022By Greg Ryan

“Leggat McCall Properties partner Bill Gause knows he’s got a complicated project on his hands with the redevelopment of downtown Boston’s Charles F. Hurley state office building. Then again, his firm has done complicated before.
The Baker administration revealed Wednesday that it had selected the Boston-based development firm to oversee a $1 billion remaking of the Hurley and the surrounding plaza. Much of the building’s exterior Brutalist architecture would be retained, but the interior would see big changes, and two towers — one for labs, one for housing — would go atop the Hurley as we know it today.
Leggat McCall has previously tackled massive public-private partnerships: It is redeveloping Cambridge’s Edward J. Sullivan Courthouse, another massive Brutalist building, into commercial and residential space. It’s also behind the wholesale transformation of Charlestown’s Bunker Hill public housing complex, a project that includes demolishing 42 buildings and constructing about 2,700 new units, meant for a mix of income levels.
But in an interview, Gause admitted the Hurley poses a “unique” challenge. He spoke with the Business Journal about what’s likely to stay at the Hurley, what’s going, and what the project will mean for downtown Boston once it’s expected wrap up later this decade.
What attracted you and the firm to this project?
You know, I’ve been in Boston for 30 years. You walk past this building for 30 years, and you say, boy, how do you get into it, and isn't it an underutilized site? Couldn't you do more with this? So when we heard that the state was going to undertake an RFP for the disposition of it, we were thrilled, and frankly immediately started assembling a team to pursue it.
It’s a challenge. It's an interesting challenge, and an exciting challenge. We as a firm enjoy working on complicated projects and recognize that this could be a complicated, yet transformative, project for the city. It’s a little bit of an eyesore that needs improvement, and we're thrilled to have the opportunity to partner with the state to do that.
Does the firm have any experience working on a project like this?
This one is an interesting one. We've done a lot of public-private partnership projects, large projects. We've done renovations of different projects. This is a unique project, in all of its various attributes. In many respects, it builds (on) a lot of strengths of our firm, and experiences that we’ve had as a firm.
And frankly, we've assembled a team of experts that is also familiar with a lot of this historic architecture. NBBJ will be the prime architect on the project, (with) Audrey O'Hagan working with them. We also have Beyer Blinder Belle out of New York, which is a historic preservation architecture firm. They have a plethora of signature projects like this that they have worked on. We're obviously going to be relying upon them for their expertise to guide through some of those historic elements and incorporating them into the revised project.
How much of the building’s interior will change?
The interiors will be largely changed. The interiors of these buildings, if you were in them today, are a little bit — they're dated, they're dysfunctional, they don’t meet current standards in terms of office needs and requirements. We will be retaining structural elements of the interior of the building for portions of it. The more plaza-facing elements of the building will have a more substantial renovation. It's really the Staniford and the Cambridge street facades that you will see and appreciate and retain a lot of what's there.
That said, we're also going to be creating permeability — if you walk around Cambridge Street and Staniford Street now, you see what's affectionately referred to as the sweatband across the top of the building. That's literally a solid concrete wall with office space behind it. No one wants to sit in an office like that. So it will be retaining the look of a “large element,” which has been referred to as a sweatband, yet creating permeability, such that you can actually create functional office space.
The lobby and the murals that are there, which are obviously iconic, will be retained.
We've looked at this, from the beginning, recognizing that “demolish” really isn't an option. We recognize there's a historic nature to the Hurley and Lindemann buildings. There's no question that it's easier to start from scratch and build a new building than it is to work around existing structure. But we recognize that part of the price of admission, if you will, here is realizing that the building, or the vernacular of the building, has to remain in some way, shape or form. That's what we've signed up for.
Do you have any concern about setting out to build lab space, given the uncertainty in the life sciences real estate market at the moment?
No, is the short answer. Boston is obviously one of the epicenters of life science research and development in the country and in the world. If you look locationally, this is a fantastic location that will do well throughout cycles. Obviously, we fully expect real estate does go in cycles, but we also recognize this won't be delivering for a number of years.
The introduction of housing to the site, a lab building, making the plaza more inviting — how do you view that in light of the site’s history with urban renewal?
What we're looking to do is create permeability, diversity and inclusion for what basically has been a walled-off compound. This is a super-block that has been anything but inviting to the neighborhood and to passersby. Our premise, really, is to turn it inside-out and to create an open, welcoming space for the neighborhood or passersby to meet and congregate. That’s our vision. We hope that we give people a reason to go there and want to be there, as opposed to, "Let's quickly walk past it, this dark, hulking building."
What do you think this project will mean for downtown Boston?

Historically, we've thought of… our central business district as downtown. With all of the activity in the Seaport, we've seen a migration of our central business district vitality to more the Seaport. You're starting to see almost a pulling of the central business district back closer to the center of the city, and this really is in the center of the city. I look at the revitalization at North Station, I look at the Government Center garage, and all of the revitalization that's happening there. If you look at a map of the city of Boston, this is really… between a hub of transit nodes. When this is done, it will be a transformative project that will, again, help solidify downtown Boston as a true melting pot of a group of different neighborhoods.”

“We've looked at this, from the beginning, recognizing that “demolish” really isn't an option.”

Fuck!

London is cosmopolitan and world-class, no? Regardless, do you think Londoners would take well to a Bostonian telling them what they should or shouldn’t do with buildings in their city?

Or say they were about to tear down the Berlin Wall and some Parisian stepped in saying “actually this wall is a modern, architectural treasure designed by Pepe LePew during the most traumatic point in his life as a testament to human ingenuity and the truths that we all choose to ignore. It must remain wholly intact.” Wouldn’t the Berliners have a right to be a bit upset?

“We've looked at this, from the beginning, recognizing that “demolish” really isn't an option.”

Fuck!

The whole thing really reads to me like “we acknowledge that our approach is a Frankenstein-esque mess and we’re very excited to bring this vision to reality.”

Gatekeeping is dumb and the couple posters that shit all over @vanshnookenraggen should feel some shame.

Wouldn’t have been so bad if that poster’s whole angle was anything but trying to shame us for not caring enough about “real, big-boy architecture.” :cautious:

Last edited:
No, no, no. The entire above discussion centers on a false dichotomy (in this context) of people either being "in" and having a "right", or people being "out" and having "no right."

One of the most highly cited theories in social science on stakeholder salience postulates that a gradient of stakeholder salience is what's really at play in most situations (Mitchell, Agle, Wood, 1997). In short, peoples' input (and the sway they command with that input) matters to varying extents depending on their relationship to the situation, with some mattering a lot and others less so but still mattering. I have grossly oversimplified their argument but you get the point. So, yes, the direct abutter's input matters more, but no, the influence does not end there nor at the city boundary. And, yes, I've argued in the past on aB that proximity should matter in these situations, but I never meant that it has (or should have) an abrupt end.

But all of this is beside the point, since this is a boundaryless online discussion forum where anyone is invited to comment (my gosh this would be a boring forum if only direct abutters could comment). So who has a "right" and who has an opinion do not (and should not) need to coincide here. Plus, show some respect for @vanshnookenraggen who is like a founding member of this place and serves as a mod for crying out lout (and I say that as someone who cheerfully disagrees with them now and again).

So, yes, the direct abutter's input matters more, but no, the influence does not end there nor at the city boundary. And, yes, I've argued in the past on aB that proximity should matter in these situations, but I never meant that it has (or should have) an abrupt end.

I can get behind this.

Plus, show some respect for @vanshnookenraggen who is like a founding member of this place and serves as a mod for crying out lout (and I say that as someone who cheerfully disagrees with them now and again).

Their earlier comment (the one that launched all this) was arrogant and rude especially considering their proximity to the project/building. No amount of history or clout would convince me to just let something like that pass unchallenged.

@Blackbird , fair point that the forum should rest on a foundation of mutual respect and courtesy regardless of one's tenure or stature here.

Alternatively, it sounds like every column Howie "White Supremacism Is My Bag, Baby!" Carr has vomited out over the past several decades.

[And sadly, his superiors at the Herald feel that, indeed, it fits quite well with the (perceived) sociopolitical leanings of their (mercifully, much-shriveled) readership.]

"Boston and environs are some of the most tribal and provincial places in the country"

Is that a fact? Well I disagree. I say its a global city and its residents deserve the credit

If you don't live in Boston, your take on what goes up in Boston are not as valuable as those of current residents.
Sorry, but this sounds astonishingly similar to the standard trope about only life long Bostonians having valuable input whenever community meetings are held. Multiple perspectives, informed by varied experiences, are always helpful. Yes, perhaps some weighting is in order, but that largely happens organically by virtue of the fact that most who have an opinion will in fact be those most familiar with the local aspects of the issue. The idea that others need not speak up is ludicrous.

My language in the post from yesterday was inelegant and misleading and unintentionally insulting to some. I apologize.

*I* have opinions about what goes up in Boston (and Worcester, Barcelona, Dearborn Heights, Thousand Oaks -- lots of places) and I live in Somerville. I don't think those opinions are invalid or not worth expressing b/c I moved out of Boston after 19 years. I was trying to differentiate between what a person -- me, you, whoever -- may think is aesthetically pleasing, or functional, or beneficial to an area or neighborhood and what *the majority* of folks who actually live and work in the area in question think.

My only real issue with NIMBYs is that, in my experience, they most often do not speak for "the majority" and, instead, represent the loudest, most vocal minority. When one or two residents in Allston or downtown or Kenmore push back hard against a new development or new business opening because it'll be "too loud" or "stay open too late" or will contribute to the "Manattanization" of Boston, most often that's absurd and not a fair representation of the majorty. In the Boston neighborhoods I have lived in -- both very urban/rowdy/late-night and relatively residential and quiet -- people moved there expressly for the inherent nature of those neighborhoods. Nobody moves to the corner of Harvard and Comm for peace and quiet and with hopes to "get back to nature" and nobody moves to Beacon Hill in hopes of having a loud nightclub move in next door.

Stuff like the Harbor Towers area does sort of throw a wrench into the above take on things, I recognize, in that the sheer volume of HT residents does, metrically, make them "the majority" in that particular chunk of that neighborhood, but (to me, anyway) they nonetheless represent the worst, most selfish aspects of NIMBYism, so....

So, again, I was just attempting to bring up how, in real-world, "should this project get approval" type terms, it's important to factor in how the people who truly inhabit a space should have a greater ultimate "vote" on what gets built there. That wasn't my attempt to dissuade people from having opinions about form, appearance, potential benefits and downsides of proposals, etc. -- of course, as it's been noted, that's kinda the (or, at least, "a") point of this forum and I engage in such discourse frequently. If I believe a, say, proposal for a new tower in South Boston is a great idea and a beautiful design, but the true majority of area residents actively disapprove, then I believe that my abstract, "from afar" take is just that -- abstract. Doesn't mean that it has no merit; it's just of a different value in the real world.

To those who were insulted by anything I posted, or who misunderstood my intent (or who totally got and get my intent, but are still offended), I'm sorry. Not my goal at all. I appreciate pretty much all posters here, have learned a ton, had some interesting DM convos, and really enjoy all the photo and other content on aB.

(Sorry to derail further. Back on topic: I think Hurley is interesting and cool to look at, but plays really poorly with its environment. I don't know what the solution is -- or if there is one -- but surely there's a better option then the newly released proposal).

Last edited:
The fact of the matter is the residents of the City of Boston DO get a say in what gets built here and everybody else doesnt, everything else is pretty much irrelevant

As a project manager, I've been involved in projects that have been stopped in court by people who live far away from the project. Not just environmental groups (Sierra Club, etc.), but lowly individuals who live half a state away. From that experience I really don't see the argument that the input to a project is somehow limited to the people local to that project. That's not the world we live in today. And regarding this forum specifically, it is a place for people to express wide-ranging ideas about architecture, city planning and transportation. It's not a public hearing with limited sideboards. So again I generally don't agree with the argument, on this forum especially, that local people's opinions possess more gravitas than non-locals'. The local person may have more specific knowledge of a project related issue, which is valuable, but that still does not invalidate others' input.

The fact of the matter is the residents of the City of Boston DO get a say in what gets built here and everybody else doesnt, everything else is pretty much irrelevant

As it should be. In virtually every real world situation the opinions that matter the most and are taken the most seriously come from those with skin in the game - in the case of a business, their shareholders and in the case of cities, their residents. Everybody’s free to have an opinion but if you’re not invested, whether you’re renting or own property, you shouldn’t expect that opinion to be taken too seriously by those who are invested.

Not to get political, but in my opinion there’s some really awful shit happening in Texas, Florida and elsewhere. I’m absolutely free to discuss my displeasure with what’s happening there and to not support those places economically but I don’t have an expectation that I should be allowed to vote in their elections.

Having said that I concur 100% with Van’s assessment of the Hurley and his take on the state of this forum because while he may not live here he has demonstrable knowledge of architecture and a well-informed basis on which to express an opinion, rather than to just proclaim it to be ugly, not tall enough, not something we can be proud of, etc.

Last edited:

Back